267 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: 1000 vs 10000  (Read 5485 times)

Doma

1000 vs 10000
« on: January 26, 2005, 10:27:31 AM »
This is a test and a possible question, all of a sudden I am being limited to 1000 character posts. This is very strange. Don't know if its a bug or someone in authority thinks my posts are too big

This is unacceptable to me. But if the forum has changed to this rule, or I have been restricted, I will accept this and move on. Accept meaning I won't make a big fuss, move on meaning I cannot continue under such confinement and will leave the forum.

I did think of another possible reason. perhaps there is some filter in place that when someone makes so many posts, they are limited in any more replies because they have just filled the forum with comments. If so, I apologize as I have been away from the forum for about a year and am only trying to catch up. And once I do, I will not be posting so much content, altho I admit that I am a regular poster by nature and also one who posts rather large posts. But not to the extent I am doing so now, as this is just a catch up phase.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
1000 vs 10000
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 11:08:28 AM »
Howdy partner.  

One of the forum rules is that a member can't repeatedly cut-n-paste long articles.  Instead, the poster is requested to make some comments about the long article and then post a link to it.  But if a member spontaniously writes a long post -- that's okay.  

By shortening the character-count to 1000, it prevents anyone from cut-n-pasting long articles.  Conversely, we don't want to restrict someones spontanious creativity; we just want to restrict cut-n-pasting.  :snicker:

In a nutshell: cut-n-pasting long articles isn't allowed, but writing spontaniously long posts is.  :doh:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Who Cares?

1000 vs 10000
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 10:13:28 AM »
meagain,

Doma's post above here is 789 characters long, not counting spaces as characters.  That means a 1000 character limit sets a limit of around 4 paragraphs.  Isn't that a little extreme on the post size limitation?  

In fact the above paragraph is almost 1/5 of the post limit.  I find that a pretty severe limit in being able to say anything on a complex subject.  If a person quotes 3 or 4 texts to show context they've already filled about ½ of the character limit.  Is this really what you are trying to accomplish?

I'm not against post-size limits after seeing some that are close to 50 pages in length.  It seems, however, that all you've really accomplished with your present limit is to make sure no one can present an effective argument about anything in single post.  If you would set the limit at somewhere around 3,000 characters that would at least keep the word count down to around 500-550 which is pretty reasonable and allows for the expression of a fairly complex argument along with being able to support your point of view with quotes from the Bible.    It also keeps the posts to readable lengths too.  

With this post I'm almost breaking the 1000 character limit.  The limit is too small.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
1000 vs 10000
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 12:25:07 PM »
The limit is now jacked up to 3305 (if my memory serves me correctly).  It will also be re-positioned back up to the 10,000 limit in a couple of weeks, just in case you have something really really really[/i] important to say. LOL. :)
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Who Cares?

1000 vs 10000
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 01:48:41 PM »
The limit is now jacked up to 3305 (if my memory serves me correctly). It will also be re-positioned back up to the 10,000 limit in a couple of weeks, just in case you have something really really really important to say. LOL

Thanks, meagain.  The 3 K character limit is a pretty reasonable limit as far as I'm concerned.   I doubt I'd even read a post that was 10,000 characters long.  Any post 2,000 words long isn't a post, it's a thesis.   :D

Doma

1000 vs 10000
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 08:46:20 PM »
well that sounds like good news. I was about to give up on this forum.

Eurogal

Hi to ya all once more
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 12:35:36 PM »
Just had the urge to post and say I am reading.
Been around but lack-lusted in public exposure.
Various reasons but now wish to just say I'm here.

May I ask if you would please not change the character setting back to 10,000 in a couple of weeks but keep it at 3,500 for at least 5 months more.
Then make a new evaluation.

We are living in a fast paced time.
Being pithy, terse or concised helps.
I have yet to learn of someone changing their theological viewpoint on arguments read online.
So what Forums do is just give a chance to testify or witness to what one believes.

Eurogal

cdhale

1000 vs 10000
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 01:44:23 PM »
2 things (besides the "good to see you" that I already left in the pope thread).

1.  I think you are the only living person, besides myself, that I have ever seen use the word "pithy."  Thanks for helping me to not feel alone.

2.  Due to argumentation and discussion on this site, I have reevaluated my thoughts on hell.  I won't say that I have totally changed my mind, but I am more open to another view point.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

clint

kevingaily

1000 vs 10000
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 02:14:47 PM »
Hallo Meine Schwester!!!! Was gibts neues? Es ist sehr schon das du bist hier. Echt!!!

:banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
1000 vs 10000
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 05:08:03 PM »
Vas ist los?

Hast du eine gesheink fur mutti???

Sehr gut!!!

Okay, I don't know what I'm saying.  Those are just German phrases that I was forced to memorize while taking German in high school. :snicker:

Doma

1000 vs 10000
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 05:35:33 PM »
Quote from: Eurogal
Just had the urge to post and say I am reading.
Been around but lack-lusted in public exposure.
Various reasons but now wish to just say I'm here.

May I ask if you would please not change the character setting back to 10,000 in a couple of weeks but keep it at 3,500 for at least 5 months more.
Then make a new evaluation.

We are living in a fast paced time.
Being pithy, terse or concised helps.
I have yet to learn of someone changing their theological viewpoint on arguments read online.
So what Forums do is just give a chance to testify or witness to what one believes.

Eurogal

Being a webmaster, I have seen lives completely changed due to internet preaching. I personally saw 1 woman from california who read my stuff go from being a drug addict to being a church member and having a Bible study in her home. I never met her personally, and this was all via internet.

kevingaily

1000 vs 10000
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 09:16:12 PM »
Quote from: me again
Vas ist los?

Hast du eine gesheink fur mutti???

Sehr gut!!!

Okay, I don't know what I'm saying.  Those are just German phrases that I was forced to memorize while taking German in high school. :snicker:

LoL  :D  It was a valient effort, my brother! The W sounds like a V so it's Was ist los? Which many Americans used to try to say what's up to the Germans, but It really means "What's the matter." Signifying a percieved problem. Sehr gut is very good.

Bis Bald!  :D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 03:15:07 PM by kevingaily »

Eurogal

1000 vs 10000
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 04:24:31 AM »
Doma
TheologyReview is a Forum and not a website with loads of sermons to read. The debate principle of defending one's convictions per polemic apologetics is used.

In so many words up above, I was on about reading no testimony of anyone telling of converting from one way of thinking to another way of thinking because of having taken part in online polemic Forum discussion. Changing of personal doctrine because of being a reader of messages online is rare. Clint saying his view on Hell has been modified gives me a jump-kick to my heart of hope in this media's ability. I have for myself over years online with theology forums been helped into seeing how exact God is. However, the most predominant thing of worth I learned with my online experience is the psyche of Americans in the late 20th century.

You told of a lady getting bible studies in her home and is attending church. That makes me rejoice if she has grasped the move of the Holy Spirit in her to make a new person in Christ.
How did she find your website?
Which church did you suggest she go to in her town?
Have you recent news of her and if she is still free from drug addiction?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 04:54:20 AM by Eurogal »

Eurogal

1000 vs 10000
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2005, 05:08:54 AM »
(Kevin,Meagain,Clint.....will talk with you guys in Where is Eurogal thread. Want to respect not going off topic to Doma's thread)

cdhale

1000 vs 10000
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005, 05:58:21 AM »
You know, another benefit of sites like this is to give exposure to doctrines that one may not have had contact with previously.

For example, I had not heard much about Open Theology until last year when it was discussed (maybe it was the year before that, I don't really remember).

I think that even if such things don't change our minds, it does give us the opportunity to see what others are saying and to have a chance to study it through.

clint

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter