214 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Another one falls...  (Read 2331 times)

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
Another one falls...
« on: April 12, 2005, 10:19:46 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,153169,00.html

The story highlights the Evangelical Lutheran Churches decision to allow gay clergy.  It's going to be voted on in August...   :(

It's the denomination I grew up in...   :no:

Blessings
John O

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Another one falls...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 01:50:41 PM »
That is apostasy.  I would never attend a church that has a homosexual pastor.  It's an oxymoron anyways. :doh:

Then again, I'm not a churchgoer either. :doh: :snicker:

But I do believe in the resurrection and eventual return of the Lord Jesus Christ to rule the entire universe.   :boing:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Doma

Another one falls...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 06:36:53 AM »
I also grew up in the Lutheran church, but we must realize that there are several Lutheran denominations now...but I support none of them.

Just_A_Mom

Another one falls...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 11:20:01 PM »
I hate to even admit this.... :(

I have a relative in the Lutheran clergy and this "agenda" has been in their theology college for quite awhile.

She has been...shall I say programmed into believing this is what Jesus would approve of, love of all, acceptance of all, not for us to judge, blah blah blah.

We have gone a few rounds on this one.

I can't win.  :doh:

For as many verses as I fire at her with condemning the sin and not the sinner, she comes back with judging one another, love one another...  :rolleyes:

There are many, many college professors in theo. school that allow these debates to go on in the classroom and almost "promote" the acceptance of that stance.

Sad, very sad indeed.

Cortese

Another one falls...
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 06:00:14 AM »
The ELCA has always been the most liberal of the Lutheran Synod's.  I asked my pastor this very same question (I attend a Missouri Synod Lutheran church) and he said there's no way that they'd ever have a gay pastor (in other words endorsing sin).

I totally agree that Jesus is for everyone, even for those who are homosexual.  But unless an individual is repentant of their sins, how can you honestly say that you love God?

Berean Todd

Another one falls...
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 08:51:56 AM »
Quote from: Just_A_Mom

For as many verses as I fire at her with condemning the sin and not the sinner, she comes back with judging one another, love one another...  :rolleyes:

I'm sure you have probably tried allready, but I would fire back at her with the fact that we ARE to judge, like when Paul tells us not to even EAT with a proffessing brother who in caught in sexual sin or other habitual sin, or in Gal 6 and Matthew 18 when we are told how to judge and correct our brothers fallen into sin. We are not told not to judge, but rather to judge righteously, and of clean heart, and to make sure we have removed the log from our own eyes, but we are most certainly to judge.

Just_A_Mom

Another one falls...
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »
Hi Todd,

I have tried EVERYTHING.

We've agreed to disagree.

This relative is a pastor of a very conservative midwest church.

Which in and of itself, surprises me...

I gave her an example,

If you put in place a youth pastor, who has openly announced he steals, and will continue to steal...would you feel comfortable letting the kids of your flock be under this pastor?

(tried to make it an analogy  :crackup:  )

This is the logic;

her come back was that stealing was a crime punishable by law, and homosexuality wasn't against the law. (wasn't homosexuality at one time against the law???)

Love is what Jesus was about, and that's what God is in essence about.

(sound alittle new Age-ish here?)

I brought up Soddom and Gommorah. Oh that got some fireworks going.

:D

Literally.

The argument there was the punishment was for their evil ways, ALL evil ways, not just the homosexuality part. They were judged in whole for the evil that was rampant in the city, and for turning their backs on God. Homosexuals can still believe and love God with all their hearts and souls and desire to serve him. They just reside with and love someone of their same sex.

:rolleyes:

Guess I'm the goody goody here.

Old fashioned and full of puritan values.  ;)

I didn't even bring up the Adam and Steve argument...  :D

I do know there are some divisions of the Lutheran denomination that are extremely adamant about no gay clergy...others are relaxing their views and trying to be accepting to all...

Do I believe that Jesus loves homosexuals? Absolutely.

Does it make Him happy when His children openly disobey Him? Absolutely not. No matter what the sin is.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter