268 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Enrolled in online doctoral program  (Read 3749 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Enrolled in online doctoral program
« on: August 17, 2005, 12:16:12 AM »
Well, for better or for worse, I finally took the plunge and enrolled in an online doctoral program that is regionally accredited.  I suddenly found myself out-of-debt and was shortly thereafter offered a law enforcement scholarship, which brings the tuition down from $475 to $285 per credit, which is a pretty good price.  The local public university charges $220 per credit, but they are taxpayer supported.  They also want doctoral students to enroll as full-time students, which is not an option for working professionals.  

My intuition told me not to do this, but I can't seem to shake it from my mind, coupled with the fact that it is now financially within my reach, pending no unexpected emergencies arise.  I honestly don't know if I'll be able to complete this endeavor, but I vowed to simply take it one class at a time.  No rush.  I will view the dissertation as nothing more than a "big project." :snicker: :nervous: < nervous forced laugh >

Everything I need is in my Masters degree; I need a Doctorate like I need another hole in my head.  But having a doctorate opens doors that would otherwise be shut.  And if I get a serious injury that forces me out of law enforcement, then having a Doctorate will be quite a blessing (financially).  

Opportunity + Drive = Pursuit

It would be a DBA in public administration.  

When I first went to Los Angeles Valley College (LAVC) to get an Associates degree, people laughed because it was considered the bottom-of-the-barrell educationally.  The smart kids and the well-to-do kids went to UCLA or to other big name schools.  But in retrospect, the AA degree from LAVC served me well because it was regionally accredited, which is all that was necessary to open doors-of-opportunity.  I am viewing this doctoral program in the same light; if I can complete the program, it is regionally accredited and it may open doors that would otherwise be shut.  Only the Lord knows for sure.  :)

I am not telling my family members, friends or people at work about this endeavor because most of them scoffed at the idea saying that the financial expenditure to obtain a doctorate is not worth it, unless you want to teach.  They all say that it is a waste of time.  In fact, that was the common responce when I pursued a Masters degree as well.  One prosecutor told me that a Masters will never do a cop any good and will never make him more money.  However, the masters program that I attended was the most richly rewarding academic experience that I have ever had, bar none.  It cannot be measured exclusively in dollars and cents.  

So due to the ridicule, chastisement and belittling, this is a secret endeavor of mine and no one is being told about it.  Since I'm anonymous here (for the most part), I've shared it with you.  If the Lord grants me the ability to complete the program, then it will take about three or so years.  

:luxhello:  :cleverman
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

cdhale

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 12:52:21 AM »
Cool.  I wondered how long it would take you to jump in...

Now I wonder what you will do after you complete this one.  You are such a college junkie that you will have to do something....
start over and get a BS in Physics or something maybe...

ha

clint

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 09:56:22 PM »
Quote from: cdhale
You are such a college junkie....
Yeaa, a glutton for academic punishment. :rolleyes:  :lol2:

Actually, I'm hoping that this is going to be fun.  IF I am able to complete this academic endeavor, it will be my last such endeavor because it will be time to start giving back to the community.   :salute:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Jimmy Clifton

• Disciples of Christ
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 10:48:05 PM »
Quote from: me again
...I suddenly found myself out-of-debt...

Wow! Eureka!

Congratulations and good luck.

P.S.  Any word on my avatar problem?

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 10:19:17 AM »
Regarding getting out-of-debt, I have been working six and seven day workweeks.   I even took a month-long vacation and do you know what I did during my paid-vacation?  I came back and worked, so it was double-dipping!!!  :eek:  Now that I'm out-of-debt, I need to slow down on the workload, but I haven't done so yet.  :doh:
Quote from: Jimmy Clifton
P.S.  Any word on my avatar problem?
I have been asked to search the internet for potential avatars to add to TheologyReview.com, so that will probably take me about 2 or 3 more weeks.  Then I have to submit them all to the webmaster to upload into the T/R computer and that could take (?) how long????  

The webmaster said that avatars should be 75x75 pixels or smaller and I don't know how big your avatar is, but if it's too big, I'll ask him if an exception can be made.  Sorry it's taking so long. It could be another month from now (or longer) before the avatar-problem-selection is resolved.  :noidea:  :kiss:

mcdirector

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 10:23:25 PM »
how exciting me again! When I get to where I can do anything I want, I want to get a degree in biblical studies.

Please keep us posted on how it goes. It will be hard, but learning is so fulfilling!

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Re: Enrolled in online doctoral program
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 03:06:10 PM »
Just thought I'd give an update on the DBA program.  It's pretty good, so far.  It's relevant, interesting, informative and challenging.  It is writing intensive.  

I switched from a concentration in public administration to criminal justice.  Why???  Because public administration is too dry and boring and if I'm going to get a doctorate, it might as well be in my professional field of endeavor e.g. I'm a cop, so criminal justice administration is more relevant and more interesting.  "Interest" definately plays a role in our ability to continue doing something!!!

In about four more classes, I'll begin the dissertation.  I still don't know exactly what I'm going to do it on, but I've narrowed it down to employment/officer satisifaction.  That's a pretty big field that is going to have to be narrowed down into something that can be measured. :nervous:

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter