380 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Your College Studies?  (Read 4102 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Your College Studies?
« on: June 23, 2006, 12:25:17 PM »
Who else here is currently enrolled in college, either in-resident or via distance learning??? I should be finished with my basic coursework in another 2 or 3 months and will then begin doing doctoral coursework, starting off with comps. :eek:

Where are you in your academic journey? :ranger:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

cdhale

Re: Your College Studies?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 05:39:50 PM »
I am taking a little break from my MA from the University of West Alabama.  I am 5 courses from completion.  I have a 3.83 GPA so far...

Of course, I also have 18 grad hours from Abilene Christian University in Religious Studies, etc and a Post Grad Certificate from Sheffield-Hallam University (UK) in History.

I will take my time on my current MA and probably finish in a year or two...

clint

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 02:34:56 PM »
Quote from: cdhale
I am taking a little break from my MA from the University of West Alabama.  I am 5 courses from completion.  I have a 3.83 GPA so far...

Of course, I also have 18 grad hours from Abilene Christian University in Religious Studies, etc and a Post Grad Certificate from Sheffield-Hallam University (UK) in History.

I will take my time on my current MA and probably finish in a year or two...

clint
If you finish an MA in another year or two, that's pretty quick for being part-time.  I am getting very nervous about trying to figure out how to do a dissertation, along with the evaluation-methodology. :nervous:  The worst I can do is fail. :yesno: :eek:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 06:36:34 PM »
I am currently taking the "doctoral comprehensive review" and when it's finished,  I'll begin the "research stage" followed by a "dissertation."  Wow, this has been a looooooooong time coming!!!!! Woohoo!!!! :orange:

Dr. me again???? Maybe someday???  Ohhhhhh no, I'm simply too immature to be a doctor!!!! :snicker: :lol:

Most people drop out sometime after the "doctoral comprehensive review," so I ought to simply keep my mouth shut right now and wait to see what happens. :smack: :nervous:

cdhale

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 09:06:59 PM »
I am back at my MA and just finished two more courses.  3 more to go.  I plan to take two this winter term and one in the spring.  I also have a Comprehensive exam in the spring.  That will complete my requirements, so I should be done before summer.  I hope I can do some college adjunct teaching with this MA.  It is in English.  Of course, since I will have an Masters and also have at least 18 hours in religion, I could also teach courses in that subject.  I at least meet the minimum in that regard.

I made an A and a B this past term (the A was in English, the B in some ignorant research class).  So far my only two Bs are in the research course and a educational statistics course.  I don't think either will really be important in my field, but they are a requirement for the degree.  I have all As so far in English.  I think my GPA is 3.75 now.  Thats not too bad.

I doubt I will ever do a PhD in English.  I don't have the patience to finish a dissertation, I don't think.

clint

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 09:14:40 PM »
Quote from: cdhale;37893
I hope I can do some college adjunct teaching with this MA.  It is in English.  Of course, since I will have an Masters and also have at least 18 hours in religion, I could also teach courses in that subject.  I at least meet the minimum in that regard.
Think "online adjunct"!!! That's my secondary goal! Just think of the money that can be made while working on the school's dime, while in your pajamas from your living room!!!! :orange:

I decided not to pursue any online adjunct positions until (hopefully) I got a doctorate.  I was teaching one in-resident class, but have given it up by taking a sabbatical, unless and until I get a doctorate.

cdhale

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 11:31:13 AM »
Yeah, I read over at degreeinfo that some adjuncts are making 30-100,000 bucks a year doing online and local coursework.  Not too shabby...

I would be more than happy to settle for the 30 grand.. haha

Doing my final course right now for the MA.  It isn't too hard, so I expect to do well in it.  I am a little more anxious about the comprehensive exam in two weeks.  But we shall see...

clint

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 03:02:08 PM »
Quote from: cdhale;39264
Doing my final course right now for the MA.  It isn't too hard, so I expect to do well in it.  I am a little more anxious about the comprehensive exam in two weeks.  But we shall see...
You'll find it exhilarating to finally complete a Masters degree and I speculate that the exhilaration will last about a year before it wears off. :eek:  

When it finally dawned on me that a Masters in criminology will never make me rich... not even remotely... then I suddenly realized that I'll have to settle for the richly rewarding academic experience that it was... and nothing more!!! :smack: Your mileage may vary since your Masters will be in English or Theology (I can't remember).  

Quote from: cdhale;39264
I read over at degreeinfo that some adjuncts are making 30-100,000 bucks a year doing online and local coursework.  Not too shabby...

I would be more than happy to settle for the 30 grand.. haha
Heeheee heee :lol:

In the beginning, if I could have known how hard a dissertation is, then I would NEVER[/u] have begin a doctoral program.  :nono: Now it's become nothing more than a grudge match; I must finish it "by any means necessary." :rant:  Let's just say that I've been forced to hire a tutor; and without his assistance, I would NEVER be able to complete a dissertation.  :noidea: There is still no guarantee, even with his help.  But I'm not going down without a fight. :rant:  

Having a Masters in criminology didn't magically open doors to online adjunct positions for teaching criminal justice.  Persistence would probably pay off (e.g. constantly applying).  However, I'm reasonably certain that with a doctorate with a specialization in criminal justice, then I'll easily be able to make that 30k extra each year -- maybe more??? First my tutor and I have to get through this dissertation crap. :mmph:

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter