551 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 2006 was warmest on record in United States  (Read 5941 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
2006 was warmest on record in United States
« on: January 10, 2007, 08:37:53 AM »
For the United States, 2006 was the hottest year on record and, for the world, it was the sixth hottest year on record.  Either these are:
  • Naturally occuring global fluctions in temperatures that have absolutely nothing to do with end-time events.
  • Or it is a prophecy that is begining to come to pass and that must come to pass before Jesus returns.
The sky is falling!!!!! :what:
Snip from the article:

Not only was 2006 hot, it was warmer overall than it has been in the contiguous United States since record-keeping began in 1895, government climate scientists announced Tuesday.

Globally, 2006 was the sixth-warmest year on record.

Each of the past nine years has been among the 25 hottest since records began. And this year could be even hotter. :eek:

Last week, British scientists said there is a 60 percent chance that 2007 will surpass 1998 as the warmest year on record.

Warmer-than-average seasons are becoming more common and average seasons are becoming more rare.

Climatologists say it is not the one year that people should be concerned about.  What we do take notice of from a climate perspective is that many of these year are in top 20 (warmest years) since 1993.

During the past century, global temperatures have increased at about a 10th of a degree per decade, but scientists say this trend has increased to a rate approximately a third of a degree per decade during the past 25 to 30 years.

Source
I believe that we are the last generation before the return of Jesus and that these signs, such as global warming, are precursers to His return.  How hot will it become when the following occurs:   Revelation 8:7
The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.

Revelation 8:8
And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;
I once heard a preacher say that the Lord will darken the earth to keep it cool because if He didn't, then it would be even hotter:   Revelation 8:12
And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
Re: 2006 was warmest on record in United States
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 09:27:18 AM »
Sighs....

I hate the heat!  But, I suppose God is giving people a preview of hell....

I believe it was the Puritian minister Jonathan Edwards that said something along the lines of, "I could motivate my congregation toward holiness if God would only allow me to dangle them over hell for a few minutes..."

When he preached his famous sermon, "Sinner's In The Hand Of An Angry God", it was said that people literally grabbed onto the pews and pillars of the church because they were sure that the earth was about to open and cast them into hell  :what:

Snippets from his sermon:

So that, thus it is that natural men are held in the hand of God, over the pit of hell; they have deserved the fiery pit, and are already sentenced to it; and God is dreadfully provoked, his anger is as great towards them as to those that are actually suffering the executions of the fierceness of his wrath in hell, and they have done nothing in the least to appease or abate that anger, neither is God in the least bound by any promise to hold them up one moment; the devil is waiting for them, hell is gaping for them, the flames gather and flash about them, and would fain lay hold on them, and swallow them up; the fire pent up in their own hearts is struggling to break out: and they have no interest in any Mediator, there are no means within reach that can be any security to them. In short, they have no refuge, nothing to take hold of; all that preserves them every moment is the mere arbitrary will, and uncovenanted, unobliged forbearance of an incensed God.

Your wickedness makes you as it were heavy as lead, and to tend downwards with great weight and pressure towards hell; and if God should let you go, you would immediately sink and swiftly descend and plunge into the bottomless gulf, and your healthy constitution, and your own care and prudence, and best contrivance, and all your righteousness, would have no more influence to uphold you and keep you out of hell, than a spider's web would have to stop a falling rock. Were it not for the sovereign pleasure of God, the earth would not bear you one moment; for you are a burden to it; the creation groans with you; the creature is made subject to the bondage of your corruption, not willingly; the sun does not willingly shine upon you to give you light to serve sin and Satan; the earth does not willingly yield her increase to satisfy your lusts; nor is it willingly a stage for your wickedness to be acted upon; the air does not willingly serve you for breath to maintain the flame of life in your vitals, while you spend your life in the service of God's enemies.
A Commentary on it:

For instance, his sermon at Enfield, on "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God ," which, delivered without a gesture, nevertheless produced such effect that the audience leaped to their feet and clasped the pillars of the meeting-house lest they should slide into perdition.(from The Biblical Illustrator Copyright (c) 2002 AGES and Biblesoft, Inc.)

That's preaching!

Here is a shortcut to the whole text: http://www.ccel.org/e/edwards/sermons/sinners.html

Blessings!
John O

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 10:35:43 AM »
Today everyone is focused on God's love as His only attribute. However, He is also a God of justice and in the end will cast the devil and those who follow him into the lake of fire. It is a horrible thing to be found wanting in the scales and have God's judgment come against you. Jesus describe it as people wailing and gnashing their teeth.

However, I'm not sure that someone who is motivated only by fear is ready for Heaven. Perfect love casts out fear. If we have a saving relationship with God there is no need to be fearful of hell.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:33:57 PM »
Quote from: Zaph;38266
However, I'm not sure that someone who is motivated only by fear is ready for Heaven.
In the final plague that was cast down on Egypt (when all the firstborns were killed by God), Pharoh was motivated by fear when he thrust the Jews out of Egypt. It didn't change Pharoh's heart (in reference to him going to heaven), but it did change his mind about letting the Jews go.  In these last days, what is the purpose of God casting plagues down onto the earth???
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 12:57:03 PM »
Quote from: me again;38267
In these last days, what is the purpose of God casting plagues down onto the earth???

It is to reveal the character of satan and his followers. It reveals their rebellion and how they thumb their nose at the Creator. It also shows that God is a God of justice and rewards every man according to their deeds.

Rev 16:9  And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.

Rom 2:6  Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

Mat 16:27  For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
Quote from: Zaph;38268
It is to reveal the character of satan and his followers. It reveals their rebellion and how they thumb their nose at the Creator. It also shows that God is a God of justice and rewards every man according to their deeds.

Good statement!  :D

I would add to reveal the glory and supremancy of God.
John O

cdhale

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 02:21:10 PM »

cdhale

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
Another article, from a meterologist
http://www.jamesspann.com/blog.htm

clint

cdhale

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »
Some climatologists (or whatever they are) think Global Warming (as caused by mankind) may not be such a "sure thing."

Read it here.

clint

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 03:57:32 PM »
Quote from: cdhale;38400
Some climatologists (or whatever they are) think Global Warming (as caused by mankind) may not be such a "sure thing."

Read it here.
Clint is on a roll. :snicker:

I did find the following quote from the article to be interesting:
Problem is, global warming may not have caused Hurricane Katrina, and last summer's heat waves were equaled and, in many cases, surpassed by heat in the 1930s.
Hummmmm :smart:

cdhale

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 10:25:35 PM »
In our society,  most folks simply assume that global warming is caused by human activity without even thinking about it.  I think the whole hypothesis is a load of garbage.  So I just wanted to point out that I am not just some cranky crackpot that harbors a multitude of conspiracy theories or anything.  Some real scientists are agreeing with me, or at least stating that what most folks assume isn't really a open and shut case.

I'm just trying to speak for the other side...

clint

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 08:10:10 AM »
Here in southwest Florida, January is breaking all heat records, not just in extremes, but also in duration.  We have been in the 80s every day -- in January!!!!! If this is a sign of the times, then I am very concerned over how hot it's going to be this summer!!! :mmph:

Normally, January and February is very cold this time of year.  A couple of nights ago after the sun went down, I was driving up to Tampa on the Interstate with my air conditioner on!!!  Unbelievable!!!! :smack:

A scientific report will warn next week that human-caused global warming is here -- visible in the air, water and melting ice -- and is destined to get much worse in the future.

"The smoking gun is definitely lying on the table as we speak," said top U.S. climate scientist Jerry Mahlman, who reviewed all 1,600 pages of the first segment of a giant four-part report. "The evidence ... is compelling."

Global warming is "happening now, it's very obvious," said Mahlman, a former director of NOAA's Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Lab who lives in Boulder, Colo. "When you look at the temperature of the Earth, it's pretty much a no-brainer."

The February report will have "much stronger evidence now of human actions on the change in climate that's taken place," Rajendra K. Pachauri said in November.

An early version of the ever-changing draft report said "observations of coherent warming in the global atmosphere, in the ocean, and in snow and ice now provide stronger joint evidence of warming."

And the early draft adds: "An increasing body of evidence suggests a discernible human influence on other aspects of climate including sea ice, heat waves and other extremes, circulation, storm tracks and precipitation."

The world's global average temperature has risen about 1.2 degrees Fahrenheit from 1901 to 2005. The two warmest years on record for the world were 2005 and 1998. Last year was the hottest year on record for the United States.

The report will draw on already published peer-review science. Some recent scientific studies show that temperatures are the hottest in thousands of years, especially during the last 30 years; ice sheets in Greenland in the past couple years have shown a dramatic melting; and sea levels are rising and doing so at a faster rate in the past decade.
Click here for the full story.  

The next five years will be interesting to watch. :noidea:

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 07:54:24 PM »
It's January 23, 2007 in southwest Florida right now -- and crickets are chirping outside.  I have never heard crickets chirping in January.  I really do think that there is something strange going on with our weather patterns. :nervous:

Crickets in January??? :noidea:

cdhale

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 09:01:28 AM »
I have no doubt it is statistically warmer on average now than 20 years ago, or whatever.  My point is that I believe it is a normal weather pattern that we go through on a regular basis.  Notice that these guys are saying anything from it is the warmest it has been in 70 years to it is the warmest it has been in 1000 years. Either way, it was warmer back then sometime.  Why was it so warm in 1936?  All those Model-Ts and bi-planes?  How about in 1006?  Must have been farting cows back then.

Is it warmer today than a few years ago?  Sure.  Is it man's fault?  I seriously doubt it. In another few decades I expect our scientific chicken-littles to be telling us that mankind is freezing the planet (remember the 70s?) because of our carbon-based emissions.  So global freezing will be our fault, too.

I don't think so.

clint

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 11:18:27 AM »
I'm not going to say one way or the other if man has affected the weather.

However, I think to say that humans cannot affect his environment with pollution is a dangerous way of thinking.

I'm about as conservative as they come but this garbage about man not affecting the environment coming from Limbaugh and Hannity is just crazy.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter