Do you pray as a matter of habit?

es
6 (75%)
o
1 (12.5%)
he poll question doesn\'t accurately reflect what I do
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Do you pray as a matter of habit?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Do you pray as a matter of habit?
« on: January 18, 2007, 06:21:18 PM »
I ask the question because I've decided to pray for 5 minutes every morning.  I even bought a timer because my early morning time is so limited.  I plan on starting tomorrow morning.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
Re: Do you pray as a matter of habit?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 07:18:39 PM »
My pastor, Ron Auch, is a pretty sought after seminar speaker on the matter of prayer.

He has written 10 books that deal with prayer and intimacy with God.  You can check out his book list at
http://www.prayerhouseag.org/?TargetPage=5AC103D9-61A0-4BC0-9E84-820E2C8FD3C9

He recommends an hour a day, which is what I'm working toward.  

Typically, I spend about 45 minutes to an hour in prayer a day, in addition to bible reading.  That includes worship, meditation on bible readings, praying, and listening for His voice.

Sometimes it's spread out depending how busy I am, but I'm moving more toward a solid hour....and I've found it's not a burden, but a pleasure!
John O

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 09:10:09 AM »
I once heard an evangelist say something like this.... "Much prayer, Much Power.... Little Prayer, little power".  Power not to do miracles but to live a Christian life and to resist temptations and to witness.

God is not some distant being that we are "suppose" to pray to. He wishes to be our intimate friend. Even closer than a spouse.

It is hard to have faith in someone you don't personally know. Once you start seeing direct answers and guidance in your life you'll be hooked and won't go back to "not praying".

Personally, unless it is a prayer for a meal I find it easy to pray for long periods. I start by praising Him then thanking Him.... then the rest of my worries, cares, needs, wants, wishes, etc, etc, etc... just come tumbling out.

However, I like what John said in his post. He takes time to listen to for His voice. Prayer is not just a one sided conversation. He very much wishes to communicate back.

While I know what Me again meant when he asked the question about praying from habit, I do not like to use the word habit when it comes to prayer. The word habit in my mind means something one does without thinking about it. Prayer should be much more than just a form or ceremony or a "work".

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 10:03:16 AM »
I think prayer is the hardest work in the Christian experience. If it were easy there wouldn't be so many books on the subject and there wouldn't be so many apostate, powerless churches. Paul commands us to pray without ceasing. I'm not sure how that is possible in the sense that we recognize prayer. I think he must have meant to be in constant communication with God. I think he meant much like when we listen to a police radio. We aren't always transmitting,  most of the time we are receiving.

There was a period of time when I struggled with why God wanted us to pray. He already knows every thought and he is going to do whatever it is He wants anyway so what is the point. The point is he commands us to pray and I have no right to question why. I know that prayer is effective because I have seen many answered prayers and I also recognize that the more a person prays the more their will comes in line with God's will. I have also recognized that serious and strong attacks come our way when we begin consistent and fervent prayer.
John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me."
Sometimes the Gospel is not presented clearly enough for the non-elect to reject it.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 10:04:47 AM »
Today after getting out of bed, it took me about 11 minutes to "wake up" enough to be able to pray, so I set my mini-alarm for 5 minutes and prayed.  It was a pleasant experience, to say the least, albeit I know it was also a quick one.  But more importantly, it seemed to set a certain tone for the day, as if my frontlets were awakened.  :snicker:

Yes Yes Yes, the option is always available to pray for longer periods, but I set an eeeeeasy goal of 5 minutes because it's easy enough to do for a lifetime.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 01:18:21 PM »
It's a start, but I can guarentee that you'll find it getting longer, and longer as you fall more and more in love with the intimacy you'll find  :D
John O

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 07:54:44 PM »
You might be right John, but at this point, I simply need to take baby steps... and setting a lifetime goal of praying for 5 minutes a day doesn't seem unreasonable and, more importantly, is a goal that I actually might be able to keep!!!!  After all, praying for 5 minutes isn't like trying to move a mountain! :eyebrows:

theophilus

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 01:23:23 PM »
ma,

I pray on the drive to work, I keep an ongoing conversation with God at work, I pray after my daily bible reading and I pray myself to sleep (it's like falling asleep in your Father's arms).

It keeps me focused outside of myself.

Godspeed you on your prayer journey.

:)

kevingaily

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 08:33:27 PM »
My name is Kevin, and I agree with this thread... and the posts thus far. :amen2: :D

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter