451 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: God slew the firstborn in Egypt  (Read 1559 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
God slew the firstborn in Egypt
« on: January 26, 2007, 05:12:36 PM »
The final plague that the Lord put on Egypt to force Pharoh to release the Jews was when He slew all the firstborn:   And it came to pass, when Pharaoh would hardly let us go, that the LORD slew all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both the firstborn of man, and the firstborn of beast...
Exodus 13:15a[/color]I always assumed that it meant that only newborn firstborn babies were killed.  However, it suddenly dawned on me (this week) that it probably included all the firstborn, regardless of their age, whether they were 7 months, 7 years old or 77 years old.  That would mean that deaths included:
  • babies
  • parents
  • grandparents
  • great-grandparents
  • brothers
  • sisters
  • cousins
  • neighbors
  • friends
  • etc...
Can you imagine the devistating impact that this would have on any society, let alone Egypt???? It would totally shatter society!!! :what:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
Re: God slew the firstborn in Egypt
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 05:17:21 PM »
That would raise an interesting question-

Egyptian monarchies, like most, typically went from father to first born son.

Was Pharaoh not the first born since he lived through the plague?
John O

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 05:23:53 PM »
Quote from: John Oscar;38495
That would raise an interesting question-

Egyptian monarchies, like most, typically went from father to first born son.

Was Pharaoh not the first born since he lived through the plague?
Hummmm good point and I don't have the answer.  That's a job for a bible scholar.  Another issue is that there is some controversy as to exactly which Pharoh was the Pharoh that reigned when the plagues were thrown down in Egypt.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:12:08 AM »
The Scriptures infer the firstborn were those of the existing generation, otherwise, as J.O. suggested, phoraoh would have died as well.

Blessings,

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Throw-down

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 05:24:58 AM »
We need to look at the curse as God originally pronounced it:
And Moses said, Thus saith the LORD, About midnight will I go out into the midst of Egypt: And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the first born of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts. Exodus 11:4-5

Pharaoh may or may not been the first born of his father as it didn't matter. God's curse exempted him and was placed upon his firstborn and not him.

I am sure that many have seen one of the many documentaries that have appeared the past few years about the plagues. Every one I have watched always give a naturalistic reason to explain away God's involvement and insinuates that the plagues were not supernatural. They accept that the plagues were widespread throughout Egypt, but none ever touch upon the part of the curse that exempted Israel:
But against any of the children of Israel shall not a dog move his tongue, against man or beast: that ye may know how that the LORD doth put a difference between the Egyptians and Israel. Exodus 11:7
The whole nation suffered in the deaths of all the firstborn. The documentaries never attempt to explain why none of the plagues never touched the Hebrews. Are they trying to ignore the existance of God?

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 09:19:19 AM »
Quote from: Throw-down;38646
Pharaoh may or may not been the first born of his father as it didn't matter. God's curse exempted him and was placed upon his firstborn and not him.
Good point.  I clearly interpreted it wrong.

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 01:13:33 PM »
Yep, good point Throw-Down!  It would help to actually read the verses involved instead of relying on my memory.  :smack:

Welcome to Theology Review!
John O

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter