Poll

Modesty and how I feel about it

am constantly aware of my responsibility to be modest and strive to be so
3 (100%)
 know I should be, but I choose to dress comfrontable instead of modest
0 (0%)
 like the attention and anothers thought do not concern me
0 (0%)
s long as I am not purposely trying to temp my clothing or actions should not be an issue
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: My Brother's keeper?  (Read 4505 times)

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://www.gerald285.com
My Brother's keeper?
« on: January 27, 2007, 01:04:20 PM »
My brother's keeper. How far does this go? In the area of modesty how far does this go. Are to we take all precautions or just a few or none at all?. What constitutes modesty and why should we be responsible for anothers eyes and thoughts?
Isaiah 48:18,Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
Re: My Brother's keeper?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 01:32:28 PM »
We should be respondsible because the bible tells us to:

1 Cor 10:23 "Everything is permissible"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"—but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.

1 Cor 8:9; 12-13 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak.  12When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.

I've heard a lot of sloppy Christian living excused by saying, "We are under grace, not law."  While I agree with that, we should be conscious of the fact that people hold Christians to a standard, and we should try to live up to that.

Would Jesus do, say, wear, or promote that?  Then neither should we.
John O

theophilus

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 02:34:13 PM »
I agree with John.

why should we be responsible for anothers eyes and thoughts?

Depends on your answer to this question:  Is the girl who is scantily clad responsible for the man who rapes her because he was tempted by the way she was dressed?

Reducing:

If she's "flaunting" it, can he take it?

Is she advertising?

Even more, If she's dressed like a whore should he treat her like one?

This is what I told my daughter...if your manner of dress accentuates your breasts and your butt you will find a man who is attracted to you for your breasts and your butt.  Don't run to me, someday, because he doesn't care about your feelings and your opinions.  If you dress for sex, that's what you'll get.  If you dress modestly and accentuate your attitude by caring for others and being intelligent, you will attract a "good" man and the sex, within the confines of marriage, will be a bonus.  If you dress for Jesus, you'll get a man created in His image.  Then sex will be a gift to you both.

I could more easily spit into the wind.

She dresses like every other high school student.

:cry:

*My illustration has nothing to do with whether or not rape is a "sex crime" or a crime of violence.

If my lack of clothing tempts another to sin, then the sin is mine and I have sinned against my brother.

Can a "guy" get that?

:noidea:

Ken1Burton

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 10:05:28 PM »
It looked like a real good subject. But it was not what I thought, I was looking at the First question seen asked by Man of God, and God did not answer it.

“Am I My brother’s keeper.”

Abel offered a lamb, Kind of like the Jewish Nation. Abel was slain (“No man cometh unto the Father but by Me.”) I guess the Jewish nation which was blinded by God from seeing Jesus is the Christ in Isaiah 29:10/12 became Spiritually dead. Oh Well. Mark the Perfect Man.

It is easy to love a Child who does as we wish, Dresses as a responsible person in our eyes. Acts accordantly. But does the Child have flaws? Or does the Parents have a TEST?

The problem with learning to love your enemies, is that enemies are then needed for the lesson, Learn quickly, and I guess we get a worst one. Now an enemy we only see once a year wound not be too good for the lesson, One who lives with us, that is another story, One we can not walk away from.

We are our Brother’s keeper, in all respects. Mainly in showing them we are all brothers, and there is One Father.

One thing bothers me quite a bit, I often go to a mall, and there is a large eating area in the Middle. Every see tiny little eyes looking at you eating? And it is not really accepted to offer children something to eat, or to buy them something. Too many predators around.

The World has not learned there are Christians around that see these things as what they ought to do. Too many are insulted by what they see as a hand out. That often gets in the way of being our Brother’s keeper.

I think at a Church service, wearing the worst clothes we can get a hold of is more appropriate. I have often heard people say they did not go to church as Children because they had nothing to wear. I guess most Churches fail that test of being our brother’s keeper. And if they do come, they feel guilty for being poor. And when a Pastor speaks of how God gives to His Children, What can they do but wonder if they are one of His Children?

We seem to be  losing the battle. At one time if a young person was not dresses half way decent, a police man or woman would be knocking at the parents door with the Child, and a little advice, shall we say? Same with the Hours they are out at. An Adult took charge of any Children they were around, and acted just as Mommy or Paw would. And the real Mothers and Dads were glad for it.

We are afraid to let others be their brother’s keepers when it comes to OUR CHILDREN, We stop the Teachers, we stop the neighbors, we even threaten to sue the Police. And the Children have spotted it, and act accordingly in defiance of them all.

And now the law has decided to prevent a Parent from being a keeper also, Just support them, give them a place to stay, if they come home that is. And keep out of their affairs. And above all things, Do not violate their rights.

Ken

theophilus

Who is my brother?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 09:39:25 PM »
Matthew 12
46  While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
 47  Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
 48  But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
 49  And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
 50  For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Genesis 4
3  And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
 4  And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
 5  But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
 6  And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
 7  If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
 8  And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
 9  And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?

Galatians 6
 9  And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
 10  As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

Ephesians 2
 19  Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
 20  And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
 21  In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
 22  In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Matthew 18
15  Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
 16  But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
 17  And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

IMHO I am my brother's keeper.

:D

theophilus

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Re: Back to girls...
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 10:08:12 AM »
Quote from: theophilus;38583
http://www.christianworldviewnetwork.com/article.php/1503/Ingrid_Schlueter
That's an outstanding, informative article that hits the nail on the head.  This part is espicially amazing:
One of the casualties of our culture's rejection of God has been womanhood. A women's movement that at one time fought for equal protection under the law for women, rights to custody of their own children and property ownership now is responsible for 18-year-old former cheerleaders being sent into combat in Iraq. The basic courtesies that used to be shown to women in public were abandoned decades ago. Girls are not taught how to care for their husbands and homes, they are put into sports leagues early on and taught how to ''kick some butt'', as one father put it. Girls need to learn how to fight and compete in this dog eat dog world, they say. Girls are expected to have a career track outside the home, and they are asked from early on what it is they want to ''be''.

As a mother, I have tried to involve my daughter in house work from early on. (Our son does his share as well.) When a parent begins training at a young age, the girl doesn't think there's anything strange about doing a load of laundry or mopping the kitchen floor. Try to introduce this at 16 and see what happens.

The homes of our grandchildren will be determined by the character and teaching we mothers instill in our daughters. If girls are raised on television, teen magazines, popular music and their peers, they will be unprepared to be Christian wives and mothers who will run their own homes with godliness and gravity. They will be a burden to whatever husband marries them. Their children will be deeply affected by the atmosphere they create in their own homes.
Wow! :orange:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

theophilus

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 10:22:29 AM »
What about boys?

:what:

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 12:50:55 PM »
Quote from: theophilus;38594
What about boys?

:what:
Back in the early 1980s, I read the following statistic about unwed mothers giving birth to fatherless children:
  • European Americans, 6%
  • African Americans, 24%
In 2000, I read that it had increased to:
  • European Americans, 24%
  • African Americans, 67%
I don't know how accurate the stats are, but if they are even remotely accurate, then our country is heading down the wrong path.  The quickest way to create dysfunctional men is to have them grow up in a fatherless home where there isn't a "responsible" man to mentor and love them.  Without a father in the home, they are more likely to grow up to be alcohol abusers, drug users, thieves and crooks.  So yes, boys need to be in this equation too!!!
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

theophilus

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 01:37:58 PM »
So where are America's fathers?

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 06:12:34 PM »
Some are casualties of radical feminism.

Other's sacrificed their familes on the altars of their own selfishness :preach:
John O

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 06:55:03 PM »
John hit the nail on the head on this one.  Building up a society-of-order takes a lot of work, but tearing it down is easy.  IMO our current generation is tearing it down.  We are fabuliously wealthy in the United States (compared to our forefathers), but we are living in open rebellion and sin because we are taking it all for granted.  Blessings come from God and eventually, the blessing will be short circuited and will abruptly stop because:   "For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind" (Hosea 8:7)I hate to sound like a pessimistic doomsday prophet, but when the nuclear family breaks down, then society breaks down; and when society breaks down, then it cannot sustain itself.  Technological advances in agricultural and science have allowed us to advance far beyond our moral breakdown, but when judgement comes, it will make 1929 look like a pity party.

Ken1Burton

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 10:47:59 PM »
As far as Fatherless Children, God is a Father to the Fatherless. And there is a Theme which runs through Genesis in particular, That God opens the Womb, God closes the Womb, and if God did not want a person to touch a woman, they did not.

Genesis 20: 3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife.
4 But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation?
5 Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this.
6 And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.
7 Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.

Genesis 20: 16 And unto Sarah he said, Behold, I have given thy brother a thousand pieces of silver: behold, he is to thee a covering of the eyes, unto all that are with thee, and with all other : thus she was reproved.
17 So Abraham prayed unto God: and God healed Abimelech, and his wife, and his maidservants; and they bare children .
18 For the LORD had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah Abraham's wife.

If God gives a Troubled girl a gift of love with 10 tiny fingers and ten tiny toes, we need to know from whom that Child came. A Sperm, an egg, and about nine months? Science might think that is what it takes. I think that conception to Birth is still far into God’s Miracle category.

But Scientists did clone a sheep. I wonder when they will make one from Scratch?

Ken

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 10:52:17 PM »
Ken1Burton,

Tell us a little about yourself. What is your background?
John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me."
Sometimes the Gospel is not presented clearly enough for the non-elect to reject it.

Ken1Burton

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 12:49:48 AM »
Tom

Just a person who fell in love with God. And going against what others will be screaming at. I was Born Again before I knew Christ.

I had an understanding you needed to accept Jesus, and I had no problem with that, But I did not know Him. I looked to God, He showed me Christ, I looked to Christ, He showed me God.

When God started showing me concepts, I would mark them down, Thousands of notes, Write out a concept when I saw it, and share it with others. Thinking God did not give it for me to hoard, But to share. And as I shared, He gave me more to share, Like a Giant Snowball.

I saw conflict with what the Scriptures were saying, and what Pastors were saying, So I put all my concepts seen and taught by the Churches in a kind of side cupboard, Till each one was searched to see if it was really Scripture. Much of what is called Sound Doctrine was cast away. But I know the references of why they were cast.

And as time went on, Doctrines changed as some things I saw did not quite fit, even though they looked like they did.

The Doctrine I now believe is Truth (might be some changes, If one truth seems to contradict another, Something is wrong) is pretty well established within me. I have been on the Christian Chat rooms for Thousands of hours, Most of the Concepts have been raked over the coals hundreds of times.

I never chose to follow Christ, and I do not recommend anyone does, Fo what we chose today, we might change tomorrow. I saw there was no choice, I love God and I can not stop, nor do I want to stop. I came for the Duration, and I know that is for eternity.

If you are considering following Jesus (open forum, anyone can be reading here) do not do it. Wait, Jesus knows it is still a question. Wait till you see there is no choice at all, That you love God and there is nothing you want to do to change that. Then RUN TO HIM.

I expect there will be times when I do not like God, And there will be times He does not like me, But our love is sufficient to cover those times. I guess when you truly love another, You have to allow them to be angry with you at times. Not taking it personal, Just knowing there is a lot of emotion connected with Love.

God loved me from the moment I was conceived, He just kept it a secret from me for 40 years, But it is not a secret any more, and has not been for over 20 years now. I do not need Eternal life other then the KNOW Him part. I do not need any rewards. I do not worry of any punishment. I focus on God, not me. And I really like working in His Vineyard.

I might not to get to eat very many grapes, But that is not an issue, But that there are grapes for others. My Father has a lot of Children, Thank God a lot of them like Grapes.

I like your little signature, You know churches which preach the elect do not think they can accept even if they had God guaranteed Salvation to their face. But you are right about, If you have never clearly seen God, You never rejected Him. And if you do see God clearly, You would not reject Him.

So in Psalms 22:27

27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.

Ken

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter