Poll

Modesty and how I feel about it

am constantly aware of my responsibility to be modest and strive to be so
3 (100%)
 know I should be, but I choose to dress comfrontable instead of modest
0 (0%)
 like the attention and anothers thought do not concern me
0 (0%)
s long as I am not purposely trying to temp my clothing or actions should not be an issue
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: My Brother's keeper?  (Read 4501 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Re: My Brother's keeper?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 08:22:56 AM »
Quote from: Ken1Burton;38609
But Scientists did clone a sheep. I wonder when they will make one from Scratch?
Good point. :snicker:  They won't! :eek:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 09:23:43 AM »
Ken1Burton,

Thanks for sharing that. Welcome to the forum. Loving God is the main prerequisite for the effective study and discussion of theology and you appear to do just that.
John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me."
Sometimes the Gospel is not presented clearly enough for the non-elect to reject it.

Angel2Drew

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 02:16:10 PM »
It all boils down to crucifying your flesh daily. Not only am I my brothers keeper, but in doing so he/she is in a scene keeping me also.

My husband feels there is nothing wrong with having a beer, not beers but a beer, and we always have a few in the frig, but when my step father comes over they are put away, why? He is an alcoholic and  my husband dose not want to cause him to stumble. So he puts off his fleshly desires and does without.

I am happy that I am my brother/sisters keeper and they are mine:D

theophilus

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 06:32:09 PM »

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 08:05:55 PM »
Now for the $26 dollar question.

Who is your brother?
John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me."
Sometimes the Gospel is not presented clearly enough for the non-elect to reject it.

theophilus

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 09:20:04 PM »
If you have A, B, and derivative of either or O coursing through your veins, you are my brother.

If your original parents fell out of a garden, you are my brother.

If you'll go back and read Leviticus CLOSELY, strangers and sojourners WITH ISRAEL were under the same holy laws as Israel.  That makes my neighbor my brother (unless, of course, you're my sister, in which case, you're still my "brother.")

If you are dead in Christ, you're my brother.

:D

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 10:22:46 PM »
Quote from: theophilus;38734
If you have A, B, and derivative of either or O coursing through your veins, you are my brother.

If your original parents fell out of a garden, you are my brother.

If you'll go back and read Leviticus CLOSELY, strangers and sojourners WITH ISRAEL were under the same holy laws as Israel.  That makes my neighbor my brother (unless, of course, you're my sister, in which case, you're still my "brother.")

If you are dead in Christ, you're my brother.

I'll buy that definition for neighbor, but not brother.

Angel2Drew

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 11:07:24 PM »
Who is your brother?
Anyone who is a Christian.

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 07:13:14 AM »
Quote from: Angel2Drew;38736
Anyone who is a Christian.

Yes, I would agree that is a much better definition of brother and I'll buy it.

Now that we have that defined, what is a keeper and what are their responsibilities to the kept, their brothers or sisters as it may be?

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 07:16:10 AM »
Galatians 6 would be one area we are responsible.

theophilus

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 09:36:01 AM »
How does one distinguish between a "christian" who isn't a brother and an atheist who is one of the elect?

It's easy to call a professed "christian" a brother even if he has Hell in his heart.

I was a member of a F.A.I.T.H. team and one of the questions we asked people was "How do you know you're a Christian?"  Answers varied from "I spent my life in church" to "My grandpa was a Pastor" to "I was born in this country."  Point is, not everyone who professes being a "christian" is your brother.

There are "elect" running around who have never heard the gospel and who haven't repented and surrendered to Jesus.  They live like Hell and they ARE your brother (but you can't know that).

Can we really tell who is a brother?

Isn't it a safe bet that if you love your neighbor as yourself you have "brother" covered?

The two great commandments don't mention "brother."

???

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 10:37:24 PM »
Quote from: theophilus;38743

Isn't it a safe bet that if you love your neighbor as yourself you have "brother" covered?

The two great commandments don't mention "brother."

???

Your right they don't but we aren't talking about neighbors we are talking about brothers. The verse we are talking about doesn't ask, "Ami I my neighbors keeper."

I would disagree that by loving your neighbor as yourself that you automatically have brother covered. I believe we are to go farther for a brother than a neighbor. Remember the Scripture, "Do good unto all men especially among the brothers." Or, "A man that does not take care of his own is worse than an ifidel." Scritpture obviously implies there is a special relationship which is more binding and committed among "the brothers"

You are correct that there are many of the elect who have no been "gathered" yet. And there are probably many more people who claim to be Christians who really aren't.  Until they are, they are neighbors.

Angel2Drew

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 07:43:29 AM »
How does one distinguish between a "christian" who isn't a brother and an atheist who is one of the elect?

Because I do not believe that there is an atheist that is of the elect. The elect my not know they are the elect but they have a since of who God is, and no one comes to God without the cleansing power of Jesus so thus this leaves out an atheist unless he gets saved. For the atheist is our neighbor and we are to love him but a brother we are to lay our life down. We should also warn the lost atheist.

When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. Ezekiel 3:18

The wicked is not a brother. A brother is ...
For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified [are] all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,
Hebrews 2:11

Now for keeper.

[Be] kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
Romans 12:10

We are to love, look after, edify and build up our brothers we are to lovingly correct them if they need guidance there is a whole lot of things that define keeper. I will try my best to cover these tonight when I get home with verses. I am off to work, everyone have a blessed day....

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 10:44:48 AM »
Good post Angel. Well said.

theophilus

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 07:09:05 PM »
Prov. 17
 17  A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Prov. 18
24  A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

Prov. 27
10  Thine own friend, and thy father's friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother's house in the day of thy calamity: for better is a neighbour that is near than a brother far off.
17  Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

What's the difference?

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter