Poll

Modesty and how I feel about it

am constantly aware of my responsibility to be modest and strive to be so
3 (100%)
 know I should be, but I choose to dress comfrontable instead of modest
0 (0%)
 like the attention and anothers thought do not concern me
0 (0%)
s long as I am not purposely trying to temp my clothing or actions should not be an issue
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: My Brother's keeper?  (Read 4506 times)

Angel2Drew

Re: My Brother's keeper?
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007, 07:37:48 PM »
How we are to be our brothers/sisters keeper.....

As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all [men], especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
Galatians 6:10

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also [do] ye. And above all these things [put on] charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
Colossians 3:12-14

We are to love our brothers

But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another. And indeed ye do it toward all the brethren which are in all Macedonia: but we beseech you, brethren, that ye increase more and more;
1 Thessalonians 4:9-10

Let brotherly love continue.
Hebrews 13:1

Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, [see that ye] love one another with a pure heart fervently:
1 Peter 1:22

[Let] love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. [Be] kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
Romans 12:9-10

We are to give to our brother in need.

And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2 Peter 1:7

And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
1 Peter 4:8

We are to serve one another ....

If I then, [your] Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
John 13:14-15

Be there for our brother in good times and bad.

Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. [Be] of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
Romans 12:15-16

We are to edify one another

Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
Romans 14:19

Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
1 Thessalonians 5:11

We can not do things that would cause our brother to stumble...

[It is] good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor [any thing] whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
Romans 14:21

We are not to offend our brother...

Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.
1 Corinthians 8:13

With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
Ephesians 4:2

We are to restore each other and carry each burdens ......

Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
Galatians 6:1-2

We are to lay down our life for our brothers

Hereby perceive we the love [of God], because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down [our] lives for the brethren. But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels [of compassion] from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
1 John 3:16-18

Angel2Drew

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2007, 07:39:56 PM »
What's the difference?

In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. Not as Cain, [who] was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous. Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.

1 John 3:10-13 :D

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2007, 08:15:15 PM »
Quote from: Angel2Drew;38761
In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. Not as Cain, [who] was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous. Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.

1 John 3:10-13 :D
What makes the good works of the elect righteous?  And conversely, why are the good works of the non-elect unrighteous? :eek: :smack:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Angel2Drew

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007, 08:52:55 PM »
Who said anything about the elect?

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 09:11:46 PM »
Quote from: me again;38765
What makes the good works of the elect righteous?  And conversely, why are the good works of the non-elect unrighteous? :eek: :smack:

Rom 14:23b everything that does not come from faith is sin.

That's the criteria
John O

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2007, 04:22:54 PM »
Quote from: Angel2Drew;38766
Who said anything about the elect?
It just seemed like a good question because 1 John 3:10-13 contrasts the works of Cain and the works of Abel.  That's all. :noidea:

My small world revolves around the elect and the non-elect. :snicker:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 03:55:06 PM »
A friend sent this to me in an email and it immediately reminded me of this thread: Am I my brother's keeper??? Check it out!!!!:    A little mouse looked through the crack in the wall to see the farmer and his wife open a package.

What food might this contain? He was devastated to discover it was a mousetrap.

Retreating to the farmyard, the mouse proclaimed the warning, "There is a mousetrap in the house!  There is a mousetrap in the house!"

The chicken clucked and scratched, raised her head and said, "Mr. Mouse, I can tell this is a grave concern to you, but it is of no consequence to me.  I cannot be bothered by it."

The mouse turned to the pig and told him, "There is a mousetrap in the house."

The pig sympathized but said, "I am so very sorry, Mr. Mouse, but there is nothing I can do about it but pray.  Be assured you are in my prayers."

The mouse turned to the cow.  She said, "Wow, Mr. Mouse.  I'm sorry for you but it's no skin off my nose."

So, the mouse returned to the house, head down and dejected to face the farmer's mousetrap alone.

That very night a sound was heard throughout the house; like the sound of a mousetrap catching its prey.

The farmer's wife rushed to see what was caught.  In the darkness, she did not see it was a venomous snake whose tail the trap had caught.

The snake bit the farmer's wife.  The farmer rushed her to the hospital and she returned home with a fever.  Everyone knows you treat a fever with fresh chicken soup, so the farmer took his hatchet to the farmyard for the soup's main ingredient.

But his wife's sickness continued, so friends and neighbors came to sit with her around the clock.  To feed them, the farmer butchered the pig.

The farmer's wife did not get well; she died.  So many people came for her funeral that the farmer had the cow slaughtered to provide enough meat for all of them.

So, the next time you hear someone is facing a problem and think it doesn't concern you, remember when one of us is threatened, we are all at risk.

In the book of Genesis, Cain said this about Abel, his brother, to our God: "Am I my brother's keeper?"

We are all involved in this journey called life.  We must keep an eye out for one another and make an extra effort to encourage one another.

REMEMBER:  EACH OF US IS A VITAL THREAD IN ANOTHER PERSON'S TAPESTRY; OUR LIVES ARE WOVEN TOGETHER FOR A REASON.

~Author Unknown~

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 04:12:41 PM »
Thanks Me Again (tucks this into my sermon illustration file)
John O

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter