431 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Bee hive collapse = food shortages?  (Read 3241 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Bee hive collapse = food shortages?
« on: April 23, 2007, 09:21:57 AM »
I don't think that we'll have food shortages in the near future.  However, it's interesting to note that our food supply comes directly from the Lord Himself and He is responsible for all of our blessings, to include our food supply which feeds the wicked as well as the righteous. :eek:   In November 2006, a Pennsylvania beekeeper preparing to winter in Florida reported the unexplained disappearance of two-thirds of his hives.

Six months later, "Colony Collapse Disorder," as science has named a phenomenon recorded in two dozen states, has affected some 700,000 hives, including as much as a third of the bee population of Florida.

This is not the first time an epidemic of bee die-offs has occurred in the U.S., but it is by far the largest, prompting investigations into a variety of possible causes, from disease to pesticides to global warming.

Because bee pollination is so vital to the American agricultural industry -- a third of the national diet comes from foods dependent upon it -- some have warned of potentially dire consequences for apiculture, bee farming, in the United States.

While alarmed, industry leaders have so far urged beekeepers not to panic.

"I would characterize it as serious," said Daniel Weaver, president of the American Beekeeping Federation, in an interview about Colony Collapse Disorder with the Washington Post in February.

"Whether it threatens the apiculture industry in the United States or not, that's up in the air."
Source
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
Re: Bee hive collapse = food shortages?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 12:14:12 PM »
Actually, I've been watching this for a while. It could very well be a huge disaster. Here are a couple of more articles. The 2nd is a theory of why this has happened. It is not just here in the states. It is happening in Europe also.

Honeybees Vanish, Leaving Keepers in Peri
l
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/27/business/27bees.html?ex=1177473600&en=231ebfdddece39b5&ei=5070

Are mobile phones wiping out our bees?
http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/wildlife/article2449968.ece

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 02:30:49 PM »
I'm glad you posted the article about cellular phones because I recently heard that theory on the news.  If cell phones do have anything to do with the collapse of the honey bee industry, then it will be an interesting battle because first it has to be proven.  Thereafter, it becomes a battle between money and the food supply.  Banning cell phones would cause the cellular phone industry to collapse, so they will lobby against any such ban.  Conversely, if cell phones are responsible for the collapse of honey beehives, then our food supply could be threatened.  What an interesting battle that may be brewing!
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 02:25:09 PM »
Taiwan stung by millions of missing bees

Taiwan stung by millions of missing bees
Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:48 AM ET

TAIPEI (Reuters) - Taiwan's bee farmers are feeling the sting of lost business and possible crop danger after millions of the honey-making, plant-pollinating insects vanished during volatile weather, media and experts said on Thursday.

Over the past two months, farmers in three parts of Taiwan have reported most of their bees gone, the Chinese-language United Daily News reported. Taiwan's TVBS television station said about 10 million bees had vanished in Taiwan.

A beekeeper on Taiwan's northeastern coast reported 6 million insects missing "for no reason", and one in the south said 80 of his 200 bee boxes had been emptied, the paper said.

Full Article Here

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 08:26:53 AM »
Click here to hear a short and simple audio that clearly explains what's going on with the honey bees and how important they are.  Here's a backdrop of the problem:
    Once single creature, the honey bee, is responsible for one-third of our food supply -- and the most tasty of all our foods.  No bees = no food :eek:
  • We had 5.9 million bees in the year 1947.
  • We had 2.4 million bees in the year 2005.  
  • We've lost 25% of those 2.4 million bees since 2005.
  • In the 1990s, paracites killed off most of the wild (ferrel) honey bees.
  • The exact cause of the demise of honey bees remains unknown.

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 12:58:29 PM »
Quote from: me again;39533The exact cause of the demise of honey bees [/QUOTE

Rev 6:5-8
When the Lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, "Come!" I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. 6 Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "A quart of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!"

7 When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, "Come!" 8 I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Beginnings of the end?
John O

kevingaily

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 09:17:35 PM »
This thread is very sobering. It's a bit scary, yet, we are living in the latter days, so we should expect things like this to begin to happen.  :nervous:

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 09:25:35 AM »
Even the earth and all it's inhabitants are suffering under the affects of sin.
Rom 8:22  For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

cdhale

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 11:51:38 AM »
Everyone here knows that I don't hold to dispensational premillenialism (or any tenets of either doctrine).  I don't see the "end times" as most of your do.  So this is my perspective on this, off the top of my head.

I don't know whats up with the bees.  Maybe humans are doing something to them.  Maybe it isn't as bad as being reported.  Maybe the worker bees are tired of supporting the welfare bees.  I don't know.

But I do know this.  If God isn't through with the world (and if this is truly a world-ending event) then God will intervene and resolve it.  If God is finished with the world, then perhaps this will be how he ushers in the end.

Either way, I am not overly concerned.  God will still triumph (even if I am wrong in my eschatology).  

clint

kevingaily

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 03:39:07 PM »
I'm more concerned with feeding my family, that's the part that I consider. This is a bad trend we are seeing and a large part of our food comes from bees work.

My father was born during the great depression. He almost starved as a baby because they had no food and were so poor. Someone came with some formula just in time or he would not have survived. Many were not so blessed.

Many could die from starvation from this issue of the bee population dropping  off. Perhaps not right away, but in time when/if it takes it's toll. I do hope things get turned around with the bees, but if not, it could be bad - eschatology notwithstanding.

cdhale

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 09:52:20 PM »
Certainly there are practical issues to consider.  Like you, if it came to that, it would be a struggle to feed the wife and kids.  But I suppose we will do whatever we have to do.

I was simply addressing it from a theological standpoint.

clint

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 11:10:27 PM »
The thing is, having food to feed your family is only half of the equation. Keeping other people from killing you for your food is the other. Buy AR15's people. They are the source of many warm fuzzies.
John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me."
Sometimes the Gospel is not presented clearly enough for the non-elect to reject it.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 06:33:32 AM »
Quote from: cdhale;39537
Everyone here knows that I don't hold to dispensational premillenialism (or any tenets of either doctrine).  I don't see the "end times" as most of your do.  So this is my perspective on this, off the top of my head.

I don't know whats up with the bees.  Maybe humans are doing something to them.  Maybe it isn't as bad as being reported.  Maybe the worker bees are tired of supporting the welfare bees.  I don't know.

But I do know this.  If God isn't through with the world (and if this is truly a world-ending event) then God will intervene and resolve it.  If God is finished with the world, then perhaps this will be how he ushers in the end.

Either way, I am not overly concerned.  God will still triumph (even if I am wrong in my eschatology).  

clint
That's a very comforting thought, from a theological perspective.  No matter what happens, God is STILL in control.  

Quote from: Tom;39541
The thing is, having food to feed your family is only half of the equation. Keeping other people from killing you for your food is the other. Buy AR15's people. They are the source of many warm fuzzies.
When times get that rough, where nobody can find employment to get money to get food, then people become dangeriously desperate.  Desperate people do things for themselves, at the expense of others.  I reckon that if we ever did have massive food shortages, then crime would escalate astronomically.  We would have two kinds of victims:
1. those who are hungry and unemployed
2. those who are victimized by those who are hungry and unemployed.

I was at the airport a few years ago and our flight was cancelled, so a second flight was brought in, but it was on a first-come first-serve basis.  I couldn't believe the stampede of people to get to the line.  They were so inconsiderate of each other -- and that was simply to get on a plane.  I simply can't imagine how aggressive some people would get if they were unemployed and hungry.  :smack:

kevingaily

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 08:01:51 AM »
Good point Tom, and MA. People do crazy stuff when you throw a little trauma in the situation... :D

cdhale

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 08:30:19 AM »
yeah, I have a rifle and a couple of shotguns (along with my new pistol), but I probably need to upgrade the rifle dept.

clint

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter