382 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Christians and Movies  (Read 1720 times)

Brotherdavid

Christians and Movies
« on: June 11, 2007, 12:36:33 PM »
I have been surprized and disappointed over the years about how many Christians who do participate in watching movies, seem to have little or no conviction about the rating / or the content of the movies.
I have noticed PG-13 and even some PG movies use the Lord's name in vain, (among other things)
How could this be justified ? (Not to mention R rated movies)
Just interested in some feedback on this topic

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Re: Christians and Movies
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 12:48:02 PM »
Brother David,

You are inordinately occupied with the personal holiness of others. Perhaps you should focus on David and let what others do be between them and God.

Tom
John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me."
Sometimes the Gospel is not presented clearly enough for the non-elect to reject it.

Brotherdavid

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:02:11 PM »
thank you for your input tom
that's your opinion... I was just asking what others thought about this...
and you are inordinately occupied with wise cracks

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 01:28:14 PM »
It's not a wise crack.

Who do you think you are?

You have no right to be surprised or disappointed in other peoples behavior that in no way effects you.

Mathew 7

3": And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

"4": Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

"5": Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me."
Sometimes the Gospel is not presented clearly enough for the non-elect to reject it.

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 01:35:53 PM »
For the sake of demonstration lets follow this thread where it is inevitably headed.
POster#1
Oh, I agree Brother David. The movies today are horrible. How anyone can call themselves a christian and watch such trash is beyond me.

Poster #2
I would never go see a movie today. They are just awful. (shudders) It is a disgrace to the Kingdom of God.

Okay.
We saw were it was going and everybody knows how holy you are. Have a nice day.

PS: Incidentally I agree that movies today contain a lot of unnecessary vulgarity. However, God has not appointed me or you to  judge what others decide to do with their time or money. If it doesn't effect you me or other innocents it is none of our business.

Brotherdavid

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 02:03:43 PM »
No one has asked you to be a judge !!
Now that you've picked me apart.... I hope that you accomplished God's desire and purpose. In response to Who do you think you are ? I'm a Blood bought, born-again, Holy Ghost filled child of God, I am a son of God, a peculiar people, an royal priest hood, and a servant of the Most High God !!
I'm not trying to show everyone how holy I am either.... You really seem to have an unusuall concept of holiness; almost like it's something ungodly !!
If you'll notice, I did not state what my view or opinion of this subject even was !! We're not talking about judging or casting stones, just curios about other Christians opinions or convictions. Even Focus On The Family stands up for family values and Godly living.

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 02:55:31 PM »
It is interesting that most Christians today have no problem with viewing and even laughing at the very things that put Christ on the cross. It would be my suggestion that if you think that Christ would be even slightly offended that the individual Christian should be offended also.

Christians are called to be different from the world. We are not to love the things of the world.

1Jo 2:15  Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 03:33:36 PM »
Quote from: Brotherdavid;39815
If you'll notice, I did not state what my view or opinion of this subject even was !! We're not talking about judging or casting stones, just curios about other Christians opinions or convictions. Even Focus On The Family stands up for family values and Godly living.

Yes you did! You stated that you were surprised and disappointed by how man "christians" watch movies.

That pretty clearly ststaes your opinion.

Anyway, you asked for peoples opinions and I gave mine. So, did you mean to ask only for opinions that support your opinion?

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 03:37:30 PM »
Quote from: Tom;39814
For the sake of demonstration lets follow this thread where it is inevitably headed.
POster#1
Oh, I agree Brother David. The movies today are horrible. How anyone can call themselves a christian and watch such trash is beyond me.

Poster #2
I would never go see a movie today. They are just awful. (shudders) It is a disgrace to the Kingdom of God.

Okay.
We saw were it was going and everybody knows how holy you are. Have a nice day.

PS: Incidentally I agree that movies today contain a lot of unnecessary vulgarity. However, God has not appointed me or you to  judge what others decide to do with their time or money. If it doesn't effect you me or other innocents it is none of our business.
Well, this is a "chat" forum. People have a tendency to talk talk talk.  :noidea:

Regarding movies, I don't go to them anymore because they are too expensive and boring.  I also don't watch TV anymore, with the exception of:
- history channel
- sci fi
- news

I couldn't even tell you what the most recent movies are like or are about.  The most recent movie I saw on TV was Spiderman -- the old one (not the newest one).  Guess I'm out of the loop.  :noidea:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 03:42:29 PM »
I don't go them either. They bore me. I did take my daughter to see the new Shrek movie. Beofre that the last film I saw was "Flags of our Fathers."

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 04:05:51 PM »
I recently had this discussion with my pastor in a staff meeting when I accepted the position.   I had asked him if it was okay to show a couple of clips from Shindler's List and Titanic when I preached this last Sunday (an audio copy will be online in a few weeks), both of them dramatically portraying people who realized that they had wasted too much time and people died because of it- correlating it with witnessing.

He said no, he didn't want to encourage people to go and see movies that had things in them that didn't glorify Christ.

He said this- others may, but you may not.  If we choose to go to a movie with our family- fine, just don't talk about it as someone with a weaker conscience might be offended, or an immature saint drawn back to the world.

Personally, I rarely go to the movies, or watch much TV.  I get enough junk at work.  

However, I don't consider myself more mature or holy because I don't do it.  If anything, the longer I walk with Christ, the less worthy I feel to be called a son of God.  I'll be forever amazed at His grace, mercy, and sometimes I think sense of humor.

I think we need to exercise grace when we evaluate what others in the kingdom do, and leave it between them and the Holy Spirit.

To those in spiritual authority over others, remember this- the shepherd's rod only needs to tap the sheep in the right direction, poke them very occasionally to help them grow and keep them from harm, and grab them only to save them from death.  About 95% of the time, only a tap is needed....

Many blessings
John O

kevingaily

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 12:40:34 PM »
It's a tough call. I guess the correct answer would be asking the common question WWJD. Would he approve?

Now as to real life application, it gets a little gray. What if a movie is very well done and powerfully tells a true story? Perhaps it has some language in it as realistically folks do swear. Band of Brothers is a good example. I was extremely moved by watching it, especially since I'm a vet and was stationed over in Germany. However, the constant swearing and the one nudity scene were obviously not something I was proud of seeing and/or hearing. So now it's a tough choice. The easy response is it's for adults, yet is it for God's kids?  There will be many who answer it both ways.

My personal decision is to keep away from movies with nudity(or a lot of inunendo), or excessive swearing or crude behavior. Otherwise, I'm open to view anything that is cool.

Brotherdavid

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 12:57:48 PM »
I've always tried to live (as a general rule) that if there is a movie that is not suitable for my children, it's not suitable for me.
As far as for a "weaker conscience".... was this context not talking about food that was sacrificed to idols ? Please show this teaching in another passage of Scripture.
I understand what you are saying though, and I firmly believe that we shouldn't continue doing something deliberately if it offends our brother, especially someone new in the Lord ( am I close ? )
Really the reason I started this post was because I had some friends that would watch my 7yr old son after school, and one day when I came to pick him up there was a movie playing that had all kinds of profane language and very suggestive talk, when I mentioned something about the content to my friend; he simply said "It's rated PG !!"
This personal experience hit home for me.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter