462 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Religious Orders for Married as well as Single  (Read 1438 times)

RevNorth

Religious Orders for Married as well as Single
« on: June 16, 2007, 04:05:16 PM »
Greetings,

I thought I would post this as some here might be interested in developing their spiritual life through association with a religious order.  Most orders (including Roman Catholic) have a Third order attached through which married and single people in the world can share in the community of the Order.  There are however Protestant orders that allow married people to particpate and Brothers and Sisters whether they are married or single.  The expectation is for all members to live a chaste life whether within the marital context or as a celibate single person.  Each order has a special gifting from the Holy Spirit (a charism).  Association provides community, depth of spirituality and depth of prayer life.

There are many Anglican Orders (some of which also include married people).
http://anglicansonline.org/resources/orders.html

There is a United Methodist Religious Order.  The Order of Saint Luke (not to be confused with the Order of Saint Luke the Physician).  They have married and single members & are ecumenical so you do not need to be UMC to belong:

http://www.saint-luke.org/index.html

There is also a United Church of Christ Religious Order.  The Order of Corupus Christi.
http://www.orderofcorpuschristi.org/

United Anglican Church.  Oblates of the Holy Spirit
http://www.oblates.net/

Order of Saint Andrew
http://www.osa-anglican.org/

North (used to post here but changed e-mails...etc...so strated with new username)

kevingaily

Re: Religious Orders for Married as well as Single
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 04:32:24 PM »
Welcome back bro! Glad you are back. :D

RevNorth

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 05:59:04 PM »
Thanks Kevin.  Glad to be back!

How are your studies going?

North

cdhale

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 09:11:11 PM »
I have noticed that many folks are starting to spend some time at monasteries and other such places for extended personal time.  They go and spend a week (or month or whatever) at these remote and peaceful surroundings where they often devote themselves to prayer and/or fasting, etc.

They don't necessarily join any specific order, they just avail themselves of the opportunity to spend that time in solitude.

Oh, and welcome back North.

clint

kevingaily

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 09:26:05 PM »
Quote from: RevNorth;39885
Thanks Kevin.  Glad to be back!

How are your studies going?

North

I still need four classes to finish my Bmin. I switched from theology to ministry and even though I have more than enough credits I lost some in the switching of majors.

I did take a long break. In the last three years or so I have had the birth of two kids and the loss of my dad to cancer and pulmonary fibrosis. So I would have been long finished aside from "life and death" getting in the way, lol I lost a lot of steam from all this and getting serious about finishing my degree has been real tough!

I do have a diploma from another non accredited school called Mt. Zion School of Ministry(was 3 years plus a year internship). It's affiliated with the Rev. Wilkerson who started Teen Challenge. He is the chairman of the board at the school. So while non accredited, it holds some value in certain circles.

That said, my current employer is not a ministry. I'm taking a lot of accredited classes here and there for certifications in the  Hazmat and Radio-labeled  areas. I've been at my present place for over six years and while I'm open for God to place me elsewhere, I do like where I am.

I did apply to a local Teen Challenge recently, but only want to do it if God wants me there. So I guess we'll see, hehe :D

Thanks for asking. How about you, are you still taking classes or are you finished?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 11:26:29 PM by kevingaily »

RevNorth

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 12:53:48 AM »
Hey Kevin and Clint!

Clint - you are correct.  Many people seem to enjoy spending time for quiet reflection on God and their spiritual life at an abbey.  You get away from the outside world for a while and develop a pattern more conducive to depth.  I was reading a book by a man who did that and found it very difficult at first (since we have so many distractions in our everyday life and it can be strange to be alone with yourself and God doing some in depth sould searching) but then really gained insight into himself and a closer sense of God.  At first he said he wanted to get his cell phone, IPOD and so on.  Some people spend just a week of so there every year.

Orders like the Order of Saint Luke http://www.saint-luke.org offer people a chance to belong to a community while living a dispersed life (ie secular job and family) and coming together periodocially for retreats and so on.  I suppose it is a sense of Brotherhood/Sisterhood in a committed sense.

Kevin - Sounds like you have been a busy dude!  Good luck discerning your next path.  I know the feeling as I am ordained and so on and have a couple of ministries but I beginning to feel the call to full time inistry (just not sure in what direction).  I trust God and know he will put me where I am supposed to be if I am open to it.

I am taking some more seminary classes at the moment (working on a Biblical Ethics class).

North

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter