451 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: About 2/3rds of scientists believe in God.  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
About 2/3rds of scientists believe in God.
« on: August 14, 2007, 12:09:34 AM »
About 2/3rds of scientists believe in God.

Hi friends,

Though this is not fresh, it's not old enough to have fallen completely out of date either, so I'll post it for the benefit of the information it provides.

http://www.livescience.com/other...s_god.html

Scientists' Belief in God Varies Starkly by Discipline
By Robert Roy Britt
LiveScience Staff Writer
posted: 11 August 2005
02:24 pm ET

About two-thirds of scientists believe in God, according to a new survey that uncovered stark differences based on the type of research they do.

The study, along with another one released in June, would appear to debunk the oft-held notion that science is incompatible with religion.

Those in the social sciences are more likely to believe in God and attend religious services than researchers in the natural sciences, the study found.

The opposite had been expected.

Nearly 38 percent of natural scientists -- people in disciplines like physics, chemistry and biology -- said they do not believe in God. Only 31 percent of the social scientists do not believe.

In the new study, Rice University sociologist Elaine Howard Ecklund surveyed 1,646 faculty members at elite research universities, asking 36 questions about belief and spiritual practices.

"Based on previous research, we thought that social scientists would be less likely to practice religion than natural scientists are, but our data showed just the opposite," Ecklund said.

Some stand-out stats: 41 percent of the biologists don't believe, while that figure is just 27 percent among political scientists.

In separate work at the University of Chicago, released in June, 76 percent of doctors said they believed in God and 59 percent believe in some sort of afterlife.

"Now we must examine the nature of these differences," Ecklund said today. "Many scientists see themselves as having a spirituality not attached to a particular religious tradition. Some scientists who don't believe in God see themselves as very spiritual people. They have a way outside of themselves that they use to understand the meaning of life."

Ecklund and colleagues are now conducting longer interviews with some of the participants to try and figure it all out.

Blessings,

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Re: About 2/3rds of scientists believe in God.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:34:03 AM »
Thank you for this post.  And, they are still teaching evolution in schools?  Evolution can be disproved by the laws of science.  

Psalm 14:1 & 53:1 - The fool has said in his heart "there is no God"

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Re: About 2/3rds of scientists believe in God.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 09:34:21 AM »
Quote from: Danny;40405
Thank you for this post.  And, they are still teaching evolution in schools?  Evolution can be disproved by the laws of science.  

Psalm 14:1 & 53:1 - The fool has said in his heart "there is no God"

Q:  Amen to that, Danny!  :cheer2:

Blessings,

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter