309 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Dutch Bishop urges Christians to call God "allah" to placate muslims  (Read 1432 times)

Cop4Christ

TESTING THE FAITH
Bishop urges Christians to call God 'Allah'
Catholic leader believes it would help ease tensions between religions
Posted: August 15, 2007
3:28 p.m. Eastern

© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Bishop Tiny Muskens (Courtesy Radio Netherlands Worldwide)
Catholic churches in the Netherlands should use the name Allah for God to ease tensions between Muslims and Christians, says a Dutch bishop.

Tiny Muskens, the bishop of Breda, told the Dutch TV program "Network" Monday night he believes God doesn't mind what he is called, Radio Netherlands Worldwide reported.

The Almighty is above such "discussion and bickering," he insisted.

Muskens points to Indonesia, where he served 30 years ago, as an example for Dutch churches. Christians in the Middle East also use the term Allah for God.

"Someone like me has prayed to Allah yang maha kuasa (Almighty God) for eight years in Indonesia and other priests for 20 or 30 years," Muskens said. "In the heart of the Eucharist, God is called Allah over there, so why can't we start doing that together?"

Muskens thinks it could take another 100 years, but eventually the name Allah will be used by Dutch churches, promoting rapprochement between the two religions, he said, according to Radio Netherlands.

However, a survey published today in the Netherlands' largest newspaper, De Telegraaf, showed 92 percent of the more than 4,000 people polled oppose the bishop's view, the Associated Press reported.

(Story continues below)

Some letters to the paper were filled with ridicule for the bishop.

"Sure. Lets call God Allah. Lets then call a church a mosque and pray five times a day. Ramadan sounds like fun," wrote Welmoet Koppenhol.

The chairman of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands, Gerrit de Fijter, told the Dutch paper he welcomed any attempt to "create more dialogue," according to the AP. But he said, "Calling God 'Allah' does no justice to Western identity. I see no benefit in it."

A Muslim spokesman, for Amsterdam's union of Moroccan mosques, said Muslims had not asked for such a gesture from Christians, the AP reported.

Tensions with the Netherlands' 1-million-strong Muslim community have been high since the 2004 murder of filmmaker Theo Van Gogh by a Muslim avenging a film critical of Islam.

Last week, politician Geert Wilders talked about banning the Quran, shortly after the head of a group of former Muslims, Ehsan Jami, compared Islam's prophet Muhammad with al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

Muskens made similar remarks several year ago about using the name of Allah, Radio Netherlands reported. He also suggested replacing the national Christian holiday Whit Monday – celebrated the day after Pentecost – with an Islamic religious day.

The bishop also has offended Muslims, saying in 2005 Islam was a religion without a future because it has too many violent aspects.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dutch Bishop urges Christians to call God "allah" to placate muslims
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 08:14:28 AM »
This is insane!

We could also make alot of friends in the world if we stopped preaching that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.  

I think that there are differences between Christianity and Islam - that changing what we call God will not fix.

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://www.gerald285.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:35:06 AM »
It looks like to me that Bishop Tiny Muskens simply needs saved. Then he will know the true name of God.
Isaiah 48:18,Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.

SozzledBoot

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 03:19:58 PM »
Well my name is Peter, but I guess the bishop can call me George it he thinks it will calm tensions in places where George has more of a social life.

I hope he realizes, however, that I likely won't respond to being called by that name when dinner is ready.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 09:50:18 AM »
The God of the Tanakh and of the Bible is not the same as the Islamic Allah, as the teachings from their Koran is lased with violent teachings to all who are not Muslim vs the love of the God of christianity being one of love for all people.  As the example below reveals:

>>>Islam uses Jihad ["Holy war"] to force their religion upon others. In Hadith vol.1, no. 25, it states that Jihad, or holy war, is the second best thing to believing in Allah and his apostle [Muhammed]. When Allah's Apostle was asked, "What is the best deed?" He replied. "To believe in Allah and his Apostle." The questioner then asked, "What is the next?" He replied, "To participate in Jihad [holy war] in Allah's cause."

In Sura 9:5, the Quaran requires violence, when it states, "Fight and slay the pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every strategem of war."

Sura 5:33 records what is done to infidels who resist Islam, "Their punishment is...execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from the opposite sides, or exile from the land." Muhammed also burned out eyes with hot irons in Hadith vol.1 no. 234, and deprived people of water until they died, vol.8 no. 796.<<<

For the full treatment, see:

http://theologyreview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2510

Blessings,

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 09:00:40 AM »
That's a fact!

:hug:

:first:

:hat:

:what:

:boohoo:

:noidea:

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 09:04:07 AM »
That's a fact!

:hat:

Quasar

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
Are you sure about that?

:cheer2:

:orange:

Quasar

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter