451 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Does God Speak  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Does God Speak
« on: September 12, 2007, 03:09:41 PM »
It is not uncommon to hear a Christian say "God told me to....".  There are several examples in Scripture where God audibly speaks to people (burning bush, to the prophets etc...)  

I have no doubt that God speaks to believers today, in that He illuminates our minds as we read the Scripture, as other believers speak to us, or even through our own conscious guided by the Holy Spirit.  My question is; does God still speak to us audibly today?

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Re: Does God Speak
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 05:41:26 AM »
Wow!!! Awesome question!!!! :smart:

You're right: Preachers will oftentimes say "God told me..." and it makes me wonder in what capacity He told them i.e. in an audible voice or in a still small voice in their heart or did He illuminate their mind or exactly how? :eek:

Yes, the Lord still speaks to His people today, to include audibly.  However, how many people does He speak audibly to -- and why?  And why does He speak audibly to some -- and not to others? Additionally, if He spoke "audibly" to you, then wouldn't secular science classify you as a schizophrenic who is hearing voices?  After all, in secular science there is no such thing as a Creator!

Jesus said: "My sheep hear my voice..." :madgrin:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 09:30:10 AM »
I'd question the calling of a minister that didn't hear from God.....
John O

Offline Danny

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:00:14 AM »
Quote from: Danny;40594
It is not uncommon to hear a Christian say "God told me to....".  There are several examples in Scripture where God audibly speaks to people (burning bush, to the prophets etc...)  

I have no doubt that God speaks to believers today, in that He illuminates our minds as we read the Scripture, as other believers speak to us, or even through our own conscious guided by the Holy Spirit.  My question is; does God still speak to us audibly today?
[/COLOR]

John,

I am not sure that you read my post closely.
 Clearly I believe that every Christian should and does hear from God.  The question is whether or not God speaks to us today in an audible voice, as He did with the prophets.  

Or, are you saying that you question the calling of a minister who does not hear God speak to him in an audible voice?

Offline John Oscar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 12:18:17 PM »
No, I'm referring to people that believe in cessationalism- that all of the charisma of the Holy Spirit died with the Apostle John.

I agree that God speaks through His word.  As far as audible voices, what does that mean?  Audio is simply sound waves banging off your eardrum and interpreted by your brain.  God can speak directly to your brain through your spirit, so there really is no need for audio.

To answer the question plainly, I do believe God can and will speak audibly (or Spirit to spirit) as needed.
John O

cdhale

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 03:05:05 PM »
Quote from: John Oscar;40601
No, I'm referring to people that believe in cessationalism-

heh, heh.  thats funny, right there, I don't care who you are...

Those who come from non-charismatic leanings call it "cessationist", not "cessationalism" which has a much harsher connotation.

However, I would agree that God speaks today.  I choose not to limit  Him in how He chooses to go about doing that.  Personally, I have never had an audible voice from God (that I know of, anyway).  But I won't say someone is lying or is being deceived if they say they  have.

clint

Offline John Oscar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 10:57:42 PM »
No harshness was intended.  I may have come up with a "Bushism"  :D
John O

cdhale

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 07:06:28 AM »
Oh, I just thought it was funny, thats all.  I am amazed at how different sides of almost any issue use their own words and descriptions that "lean" toward their own view.

clint

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 07:25:26 AM »
To be honest, everytime I have heard people say, "God told me" it turns out to be balogna.

God leads us by opening and closing doors in our life. He places passions and desires in the heart and guides by giving favor and opening doors in one place and closing doors and withholding favor in others.

God says everyting we need to know in Scripture. Today that is his voice. The rest is charismatic hogwash.
John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me."
Sometimes the Gospel is not presented clearly enough for the non-elect to reject it.

Offline John Oscar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 08:28:11 AM »
Quote from: cdhale;40604
 I am amazed at how different sides of almost any issue use their own words and descriptions that "lean" toward their own view.

clint

Tom- God says everyting we need to know in Scripture. Today that is his voice. The rest is charismatic hogwash.

And Tom proved it :D
John O

Offline Danny

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 09:28:47 AM »
I have also heard many people say "God told me..." and it turns out to be wrong.  If God really has spoken directly to an individual, then that revelation would have every bit as much authority as Scripture.  And, it certainly would not contradict Scripture or turn out to be false.  Wouldn't a better introduction to a statement be; "I believe that God has led me to...."?  Tele-evangelists often claim to have been spoken to by God; if this is true should we not write down what God "told them", and give it the same authority as Scripture?  

Are we  not in a different age now; where God has revealed Himself to mankind, and now the Holy Spirit illuminates believers in His truths which have already been revealed?

kevingaily

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 07:45:58 AM »
I agree that 95% of the stuff people claim God said is not God. I concur with Tom's assessment save one thing. Sometimes he will bring ideas and thoughts to our mind and those thoughts are indeed God communicating. However, those thoughts almost always arise out of study time in scripture, not some off the wall thought from too much alcohol or indigestion. And God will NEVER say/communicate anything contrary to His Word. Period.

One example, is when God impressed on this couple in my church to let me know about the Bible College I was to go to. They came up to me, told me about it, and said I should fill out the application for acceptance. I also sensed it was God's calling as well when they approached. Not only was I accepted(very limited enrollment), but they paid for my transportation, set up hotel reservations for my few days stay until I could get into the dorms, and gave me their credit card to use to buy food and stuff while in the hotel.

I had no money, but God used this couple to answer the cry He had put into my heart for schooling, and to provide for my every need.

When God does speak into your life He will not only speak only concerning Biblical things, but will also confirm it so you will know for sure. It is an amazing thing when God moves like that.

I admit those times are rare, but they are real; not the imaginations of men as so many try to call "from God."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 01:33:26 PM by kevingaily »

Offline John Oscar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 08:47:38 AM »
I agree with Kevin's assessment.  We've seen so much of the abuse that we are hesitant to even recognize the times when God may speak.

I find it interesting that Calvinists who claim that they are Calvinists because to be otherwise would limit God's sovereignty are the very ones who are telling us He can not do something.  It seems to me that the Calvinists would be the most open to God doing whatever He wants to do or communicating however He wants to communicate :poke:   :D

I'm simply too simple to tell God not to do something that He feels is right....I'm not going to limit Him that way so He fits into my theological box.
John O

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 09:21:06 AM »
Quote from: kevingaily;40625
One example, is when God impressed on this couple in my church to let me know about the Bible College I was to go to. The came up to me, told me about it, and said I should fill out the application for acceptance. I also sensed it was God's calling as well when they approached. Not only was I accepted(very limited enrollment), but they paid for my transportation, set up hotel reservations for my few days stay until I could get into the dorms, and gave me their credit card to use to buy food and stuff while in the hotel.

I had no money, but God used this couple to answer the cry He had put into my heart for schooling, and to provide for my every need.
That's an awesome testimony! :nod:
Quote from: John Oscar;40626
I agree with Kevin's assessment.  We've seen so much of the abuse that we are hesitant to even recognize the times when God may speak.

I find it interesting that Calvinists who claim that they are Calvinists because to be otherwise would limit God's sovereignty are the very ones who are telling us He can not do something.  It seems to me that the Calvinists would be the most open to God doing whatever He wants to do or communicating however He wants to communicate :poke:   :D

I'm simply too simple to tell God not to do something that He feels is right....I'm not going to limit Him that way so He fits into my theological box.
Yes, I'm a Calvinist, but I also recoginize that God can and does speak to His people and, more specifically, to preachers.  But like others have said, there are sooooooo many preachers who have inappropriately misused and abused the term "God told me..."  It really makes it a confusing issue for the sheep who are seeking Him.  Are all those preachers correct when they stand up in front of a congregation and say that God told them something??? Probably not!!!! :dizzy:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

kevingaily

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 01:49:18 PM »
I find it funny that people say the Bible is the only way God speaks to us, but then forget that the Bible is teaching us how God spoke/speaks to people. In fact Jesus(God) did a lot more stuff than was written about. The Bible makes it clear that Jesus did more than that which is written. Today God is still working in His church, and in the lives of the lost. Sometimes we worship the Bible, and forget there is a living God who is the author of it. The Bible teaches us who God is and how he works. It is more than simply a historical account with good wisdom mixed it. It is a road-map on how He operates.

I understand certain things were done a certain way depending on the time and the plan of God in history. However, we are to take away more from Scripture than the history of God's moving. He does act in many sovereign ways, yes, even in our day.

The big caution is when people use it as a formula, kinda like it's magic or something. Or people presume God will do it a certain way. God does what he wants, and doesn't consult with us as to how he should do it. He did give us His word so we would not be confused or misled.

I just want to be open like Samuel, not deaf like Eli, Should God want to do something in or through my life.  I hunger for God. I love him with a fierce love. He has always been faithful to me, even though I fall so short. Thanks to the Lord for his guiding hand(however he choses to do it) in the lives of his people!!

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter