582 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Ten Commandments?  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Ten Commandments?
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:51:21 PM »
Here is a question that I was asked at church, which I had never considered; and I have had trouble finding the answer.  How do we know that the Ten Commandments were written on the tables of stone in the book of Exodus?  I fear that there might be a very simple answer that makes me blush.:frown:

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
Re: Ten Commandments?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:10:30 AM »
Ex 31:18 When the LORD finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the Testimony, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God.
NIV

Ex 32:19-20 When Moses approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing, his anger burned and he threw the tablets out of his hands, breaking them to pieces at the foot of the mountain.
NIV

Ex 34:1-4 The LORD said to Moses, "Chisel out two stone tablets like the first ones, and I will write on them the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke. 2 Be ready in the morning, and then come up on Mount Sinai. Present yourself to me there on top of the mountain. 3 No one is to come with you or be seen anywhere on the mountain; not even the flocks and herds may graze in front of the mountain."
4 So Moses chiseled out two stone tablets like the first ones and went up Mount Sinai early in the morning, as the LORD had commanded him; and he carried the two stone tablets in his hands.
NIV
John O

Offline Danny

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 09:23:32 AM »
Perhaps I am being stubborn --- But where in the text do we see that it was the instructions known as the ten commandments that went on the tablets?

Offline Tom

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 02:13:09 PM »
Because there are ten of them, they are referred to as such by Christ and are mentioned throughout Scripture.
John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me."
Sometimes the Gospel is not presented clearly enough for the non-elect to reject it.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 11:32:39 AM »
First of all, as John posted previously:

Ex 34:1-4 The LORD said to Moses, "Chisel out two stone tablets like the first ones, and I will write on them the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke. 2 Be ready in the morning, and then come up on Mount Sinai. Present yourself to me there on top of the mountain. 3 No one is to come with you or be seen anywhere on the mountain; not even the flocks and herds may graze in front of the mountain."
4 So Moses chiseled out two stone tablets like the first ones and went up Mount Sinai early in the morning, as the LORD had commanded him; and he carried the two stone tablets in his hands.

Then in Dt.10:3-5 you will find the answer to your question, I trust.

Blessings,

Quasar

"
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 07:02:52 AM »
Quasar, thank you so much!  I knew that the answer was there somewhere, and as I began to look at the passages in Exodus, I saw many other commands given by the Lord (other than the ten) and I did not see where it specified what was on the tablets (in Exodus).  Tom, if you will read my original question, I never inquired why the Law was referred to as the "Ten Commandments".  I'm not sure whether or not you were trying to be sarcastic, but I thought this board would be a safe place to ask an honest question - even one that may seem silly to others.  If no sarcasm was intended, forgive me for my sensitivity.

Offline Tom

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 06:12:55 AM »
No sarcasm intended.
John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me."
Sometimes the Gospel is not presented clearly enough for the non-elect to reject it.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter