345 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Hired as an online adjunct Criminal Justice professor!  (Read 4008 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Hired as an online adjunct Criminal Justice professor!
« on: April 19, 2008, 11:19:40 AM »
I just got hired as an online adjunct to teach Criminal Justice at the Bachelors level.  I've never used their platform, so it's a steep learning curve.  It's been pretty tough, in conjunction with a full-time cop job (where we're now working 12 hour days :dizzy: ) and trying to help someone run a political campaign and trying to address home-life needs and.... I thought about quitting, but didn't dare.  I don't want to burn future bridges!

Professor me again! :madgrin:

I also recently reached candidacy status for a doctorate, which is a significant milestone.  That simply means that the first three (of five) chapters have been written for a dissertation.  It's almost over!!!! I see light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

:clap2:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

kevingaily

Re: Hired as an online adjunct Criminal Justice professor!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:40:46 PM »
Jeeze, with so much free-time what do you do with yourself :D

Seriously though, great job! I know this has been real hard on you, but I'm so proud of you for hanging in there. :hail::cheer2:

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
$$$
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 05:25:34 AM »
Thanks Kevin! :drum:

The pay is pretty good.  They pay 2k for a 5 week course that requires:
  • Being simultaniously online with the students for an hour, twice a week.
  • Faculitating the course.
They will only allow an instructor to teach a maximum of 2 courses.  They pay:
- $1600 for Associate level courses
- $2000 for Bachelors level courses
- $2500 for Masters level courses

I will only teach one Bachelors level course, due to time constraints, but if I taught two, that would be $4000 over a 5 week period.  :eek:

If Jesus tarries and if I retire in 6 years and 5 more months, then I'll be teaching multiple online Criminal Justice courses. :madgrin:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

RevNorth

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:32:46 AM »
Congratulations and good luck to you!  Don't burn yourself out.  You have certainly worked hard to get to candidacy and manage your job.  I look forward to hearing that you have passed your dissertation.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 09:58:45 PM »
Quote from: RevNorth;42093
Congratulations and good luck to you!  Don't burn yourself out.  You have certainly worked hard to get to candidacy and manage your job.  I look forward to hearing that you have passed your dissertation.
Thanks Rev. North! :cheer:

Yesterday, I was just hired to teach ANOTHER online Criminal Justice for another 2k over a five week period.  So I'll be making 4k to teach 2 classes over a 5 week period! Wow! :madgrin:

This could end up being a very sweet retirement gig! :clap2:

But since I lost over six figures from a theft, I have a lot of financial catching up to do! No matter. :noidea:

orgbon2

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 04:03:13 PM »
Hello Me Again,

I read your blog regarding your adjunct professor job.  I'm a federal LEO with an interest in being a adjunct Criminal Justice professor (online) .  I'm new to this and wanted some advice if possible.  I have a B.A. in Education, a M.A. and just started a PhD program in Homeland Security.  

What institution are you employed with?  
What institutions would you recommend that I apply to?
How much time has it taken out of your schedule?
What advice could you give to set me up for success?

Thanks

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 07:04:41 PM »
Quote from: orgbon2;43019
Hello Me Again,

I read your blog regarding your adjunct professor job.  I'm a federal LEO with an interest in being a adjunct Criminal Justice professor (online) .  I'm new to this and wanted some advice if possible.  I have a B.A. in Education, a M.A. and just started a PhD program in Homeland Security.  

What institution are you employed with?  
What institutions would you recommend that I apply to?
How much time has it taken out of your schedule?
What advice could you give to set me up for success?

Thanks
Howdy! :eyebrows:

As you probably know, the Masters degree qualifies you to teach in that particular discipline i.e. a degree in CJ allows the applicant to teach CJ.

Breaking into online teaching is probably the hard part. Colleges and universities are taking a chance on hiring an unknown, so they are cautious. As a result, they obviously like to hire those with online teaching experience. They also prefer to get people who have years of experience in the field that they're going to teach because it is good for the students. If you're a federal LEO, then you should fit the bill of working in the CJ field -- which is to your advantage.

To get your first online job: Keep applying to various schools! There are sooooo many to choose from. You can starting by visiting this thread and signing up to read online adjuncts at yahoo newsgroups; however, make sure you dedicate an email to this account where you are prepared to receive up to 30 emails every day of people just chatting back-and-forth about online adjunct issues.

Pay can vary by school, as can the workload. I'm currently working at one of the higher paying schools, but it also has a hectic workload. It had deadlines and responsibilities that MUST be met -- or the instructor will be let go. If I were retired, then it would be a breeze; but in conjunction with a full-time job and a family, it's pretty hectic.

Regarding getting a doctorate: good luck cause it ain't easy!!!!

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

orgbon2

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 12:56:48 PM »
Thanks...I really appreciate the information.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter