315 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Everything you wanted to know about Calvinism!!!  (Read 8675 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Everything you wanted to know about Calvinism!!!
« on: October 08, 2008, 09:15:22 PM »
If this doesn't give you goosebumps, then we need to talk!!! Here are some famous quotes from Calvinist preachers:
Quote from: Calvinism at its finest!!!

"Now since the arrangement of all things is in the hand of God, since to him belongs the disposal of life and death (heaven and hell), He arranges all things by His sovereign counsel, in such a way that individuals are born, who are doomed from the womb to certain death and are to glorify him by their destruction." John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion III: xxxiii:6

"We say, then, that Scripture clearly proves this much, that God by His eternal and immutable counsel determined once and for all those whom it was His pleasure one day to admit to salvation, and those whom, on the other hand, it was His pleasure to doom to destruction. We maintain that His counsel, as regard the elect, is founded on His free mercy, without any respect to human worth, while those whom He dooms to destruction are excluded from access to life by a just and blameless, but at the same time incomprehensible judgment." John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion book 3, chap 21, sec 7, 210-211.

"The Reformed Faith has held to the existence of an eternal, divine decree which, antecedently to any difference or desert in men themselves separates the human race into two portions and ordains one to everlasting life and the other to everlasting death." Lorraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination, 83. "Thus predestined and foreordained, (and) are particularly and unchangeably designed; and their number is so certain and definite that it cannot be either increased or decreased." Lorraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination, 84.

"By Predestination we mean the eternal decree of God, by which he determined with Himself whatsoever He wished to happen with regard to every person.All are not created equal, but some are preordained to eternal life, others to eternal damnation; and accordingly, as each has been created for one or other of those ends, we say that he had been predestined to life or death. (heaven or hell)" John Calvin Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book 3, chapter 21, section 5, page 206.

"A dead man (unsaved, dead in sin) cannot exercise faith in Jesus Christ." Gordon Clark, The Biblical Doctrine of Man, p. 102

"Sinners are dead, unable to believe, just like Lazarus was dead in the tomb." Harold Camping, Open Forum Program (many times).

"We mean, therefore by this doctrine, that God in eternity, chose or picked out of mankind who He would save (by means of Christ's death and the work of the Holy Spirit), for no other reason than His own wise, just and gracious purpose."  Frank Beck, The Five Points of Calvinism

"By the decree of God, for the manifestation of His own glory, some men and angels are predestined into everlasting life, and others foreordained to everlasting death (hell)." Westminster, Confession of Faith, III:3

"The Apostle Paul was an avowed, ardent, predestinarian, holding double predestination, election, and reprobation."Englesma, Hyper-Calvinism, page 53.

"As a builder draws his plans before he begins to build, so the Great Architect predestined everything before a single creature was called into existence. "A. W. Pink, Election, p. 9

"All things turn out according to divine predestination; not only the work we do outwardly, but even thoughts we think inwardly." Phillip Melancthon, quoted in Predestination by Lorraine Boettner, p. 15.

"Not only did God know Adam would eat of the forbidden fruit, He decreed it." Arthur Pink, The Sovereignty of God, p. 249.

"It is even Biblical to say that God has foreordained sin. If sin was outside the plan of God, then not a single affair of life would be ruled by God." Edward Palmer, The Five Points of Calvinism, p. 82.

"God moves the Tongues of men to blasphame." Franciscus Gomarus, the chief antagonist of Jacob Arminius. Other Side of Calvinism, p. 254

"God had marked out the Cannites for destruction –from all eternity." A.W. Pink, Divine Sovereignty, p. 85.

"All those who God had predestined unto life, and those only, he is pleased in His appointed time, effectually to call." Westminster Confessions of Faith, chapter 10.

"The population of heaven after the end of the world will not be determined by those who have accepted the Lord Jesus Christ, but by those whom the Lord Jesus accepted before the beginning." Kevin Fralick, The Idea of Acceptance, The Christian Baptist, June/July 1998, p. 9.

"Repentance and faith are the acts of regenerated men, not of men dead in their sins." Jay Adams, Decisional Regeneration (Canton: Free Grace Publications, 1972), p. 12.

"Only Calvinism with its effective atonement limits man's power and exalts God's power and glory." Copes, The Other Side of Calvinism, p. 412
Amen! Amen! and AMEN!!! :orange:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
Re: Everything you wanted to know about Calvinism!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:14:58 AM »
It doesn't give me goosebumps, it gives me chills that this wicked man and his doctrine has decieved so many.
He refused to repent of his sins, murdered those who didn't agree with him, and twisted the scriptures to make "legal" sense to him (he was a lawyer by education, not a theologian).
John O

kevingaily

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 10:24:37 PM »
"Not only did God know Adam would eat of the forbidden fruit, He decreed it." Arthur Pink, The Sovereignty of God, p. 249

Wow that is way over the top. Sorry me again, that looks like he is saying God made them sin by making them make the decision. But clearly the Bible says no one is tempted of God, but drawn away by their own lusts and enticed....  And mind you, Adam and Eve were not lost sinners on their way to hell, but righteous folks who until this point had knew no sin. To think that God made the righteous sin just so he could then "save them" seems monsterous.  No, he knew they would fall, but they are soley responsible.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
The Lord is sovereign!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 11:14:17 AM »
Gooooooooose bumps! :high5:

I get goooooooose bumps when I read about Calvinism!!! :madgrin:

Yes, I believe that the Lord decreed that Adam & Eve would eat of the forbidden fruit. God knew the outcome from the beginning and he authorized (decreed) it to happen. He knew that it would result in two camps:
- the damned :ballchain:
- the righteous :hug:

He knew it and He decreed it!!! He is sovereign!!! :cheer2:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

kevingaily

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 02:18:18 PM »
I get goose bumps over Jesus. nuff said :P  :love::hail:

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 03:06:17 PM »
Did you know that the Moody Bible Institute is Calvinistic, for the most part? There may be some instructors who only accept 4 out of 5 TULIP teachings, but overall they believe in the OSAS doctrine. :madgrin:

On a different note, but still a Calvinistic note...

I was reading about the controversy about the book of James in the bible. There are some people, to include Martin Luther :eek: who believed it shouldn't be a canonical book because it allegedly seems to contradict the book of Romans, which is where Luther got his mantra that "salvation is by faith alone." However, after reading the book of James, I see no contradiction in Calvinism; it all depends on how those scriptures are interpreted. I'm reading through the book of 1 John now -- and I see Calvinism all through it as well.

The book of 1 John is facinating. For example, he wrote that whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God" (1 John 3:9). To me, that means that when this old mortal body sins (which is probably does hourly or daily, unless you live in a monestary without any worldly distractions), the Lord sees His sheep covered by the mantle of Jesus -- which means He sees Jesus -- which means he doesn't see the sin (because it's washed away) -- which means "...he cannot sin, because he is born of God" (1 John 3:9b)!!! :madgrin:

Conversely, what did John mean when he wrote that "He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil" (1 John 3:8)? For me, it means that when God sees the unsaved man, he sees the sin -- all of it. It also means that the unsaved man has a spiritual father, just like Cain did -- and it's the devil (1 John 3:12)!!! :eek:

Offline John Oscar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
Re: The Lord is sovereign!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 05:51:05 PM »
Quote from: me again;42505
Gooooooooose bumps! :high5:

I get goooooooose bumps when I read about Calvinism!!! :madgrin:

That's the same thing Mormon's say- "If you read the book of Mormon, and your heart burns or you feel goosebumps, you are one of the elect."

Subjective truth is not truth at all.  

Simple logic-
1.  If god (small "g" intended)ordains sin, then he is guilty of the sin he ordains.  
2.  Mankind is therefore innocent of rebellion and sin.
3.  There is no reason for a savior for man, because man isn't guilty of sin.
4.  god is then the person who needs a savior

I don't believe that, but that's the logical implications of what calvinism teaches.

Come on!  You have a degree....didn't you have to take even one course in logic?
John O

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 11:23:42 AM »
Quote from: John Oscar;42508
Come on!  You have a degree....didn't you have to take even one course in logic?
It says somewhere in the bible that:
1. The Lord's ways are not our ways and
2. out of the mouth of babes...
3. the wise of this world aren't necessarily wise in the Lord

Scriptures available upon request! :madgrin: :llama:

kevingaily

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 03:33:26 PM »
Quote from: me again;42510
It says somewhere in the bible that:
1. The Lord's ways are not our ways and
2. out of the mouth of babes...
3. the wise of this world aren't necessarily wise in the Lord

Scriptures available upon request! :madgrin: :llama:

So we can't rely that 2+2 + 4 by that logic, correct? :D  :croc:  lol just wanted to try out this smiley!

Offline John Oscar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 03:52:44 PM »
One of the basic tenents of theology is that God is knowable and wants to be known.  Otherwise, there is no reason for the bible to be in existance.

And to be honest, it's a cop (no pun intended) out to try to spiritualize the arguement with "well, it's god's way"  Ed.  That's the way of the cults (or the Charismatics).  

I know you are smarter and can develop a better arguement than that.  :)
John O

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 06:54:59 PM »
Quote from: John Oscar;42508
That's the same thing Mormon's say- "If you read the book of Mormon, and your heart burns or you feel goosebumps, you are one of the elect."

Subjective truth is not truth at all.  
Very true! I can't argue with that! :nod:

When I wrote that it gives me gooooooose bumps, I wasn't being serious; I was simply trying to be humorous with levity. :humble:

anothen

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 08:41:54 AM »
Dismantling Calvinism is easy if we stay in the Bible.  The problem is when the appeal is to human logic / reasoning.  

Example:  An ax floats

Is that logical by the law of physics or cause and effect?

Calvinists are big on "Cause and Effect"  

Is the new birth "born from above" logical in the eyes of physics?  

The new birth is an act of God just like the floating ax, parting the sea, raising the dead, etc.  

The Calvinists tell us that a “sinner” can’t believe until they are saved first.  This is their formula.

A.  A person is dead in sins and trespasses
B.  God rebirths the heart
C.  Faith is infused or gifted into the soul of man
D.  Saved/regenerated/converted person can now believe and confess the Lord

This Order of Salvation cannot be defended from the Scripture; in fact it can be soundly refuted.

bluewatersailor

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 03:02:52 AM »
Dismantling Calvinism is easy if we stay in the Bible.  The problem is when the appeal is to human logic / reasoning. 

Agreed.  And I have been quite active in the past, in discussing and debating the Calvinist positions.  They are not Scriptural.  Scripture is quoted, but as part of a doctrinal schema based upon philosophy.  Calvinist exegesis includes assertions along with the exegesis, and an attempt to 'fill in the dots' according to Calvinist philosophy.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »
I have been quite active in the past, in discussing and debating the Calvinist positions.  They are not Scriptural.  Scripture is quoted, but as part of a doctrinal schema based upon philosophy.  Calvinist exegesis includes assertions along with the exegesis, and an attempt to 'fill in the dots' according to Calvinist philosophy.

A preacher on TV recently said that the "faith alone" scripture is only in the book of James and is nowhere else in the bible.

I believe in the doctrine of pre-destiny because there is nothing that I can do to warrant or merit my salvation or my entry into heaven. I must rely exclusively on the merits of Jesus for entry into his kingdom. Others, such as yourself, may have the ability to perform enough works to merit your entry into heaven; however, I am the most wretched of human souls and, subsequently, I am 100% dependent upon Christ's works and not my own works for entry into heaven. I am in no way being sarcastic or argumentative with this statement. That's just the way it is.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:34:32 AM by me again »

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 02:09:55 PM »
Romnans 9
About this time next year I will return, and Sarah shall have a son.” 10 And not only so, but salso when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, 11 though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God's purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of thim who calls— 12 she was told, u“The older will serve the younger.” 13 As it is written, v“Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”
14 What shall we say then? wIs there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, x“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion,2 but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, y“For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.
19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For zwho can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, ato answer back to God? bWill what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 cHas the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump done vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience evessels of wrath fprepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known gthe riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he hhas prepared beforehand for glory— 24 even us whom he ihas called, jnot from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?
John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me."
Sometimes the Gospel is not presented clearly enough for the non-elect to reject it.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter