460 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 40 Organized Religions  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
40 Organized Religions
« on: January 25, 2009, 12:03:13 AM »
I wonder how many more there is if the "non-organized" religions were added to these?

Religions of the world: Information about 40 organized religions and faith groups

Introductory thoughts:

What is religion? There are many definitions for the term "religion" in common usage. On this web site, we define it very broadly, in order to include the greatest number of belief systems: "Religion is any specific system of belief about deity, often involving rituals, a code of ethics, and a philosophy of life." Thus we include here all of the great monotheistic religions, Eastern religions; Neopagan religions; a wide range of other faith groups, spiritual paths, and ethical systems; and beliefs about the existence of God(s) and Goddess(es). We recognize that most people define "religion" in a much more exclusive manner.
Christianity: There are many definitions for this term as well. Again, we use an inclusive definition: "An individual or group is Christian if they sincerely, thoughtfully and devoutly believe that they are Christian." This generates a lot of angry Emails from some visitors to this site who are insistent on excluding the Jehovah's Witnesses, Roman Catholic Church, the Mormons and some other denominations as sub-Christian, quasi-Christian non-Christian, or anti-Christian.
We treat Christianity in greater detail than other religions, simply because about 75% of North Americans identify themselves with that religion. Christians outnumber the next largest organized religions, Judaism and Islam, by about 40 to 1 in the U.S. and Canada. We are not in any way implying that Christianity is superior or inferior to other religions. It is simply much more popular.

Destructive, doomsday cults: These are fortunately few in number, and are listed elsewhere.

Information for these essays was extracted from reliable sources, and believed to be accurate and reasonably unbiased. Where possible, they have been reviewed by a group (typically 3 or more) of persons who follow the belief before the material is placed online.

"World" Religions:

There are many, long established, major world religions, each with over three million followers. We have shown the five largest North American religions in bold:

For complete coverage, see:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/var_rel.htm

Blessings,

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Re: 40 Organized Religions
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 03:30:32 AM »
We are not in any way implying that Christianity is superior or inferior to other religions. It is simply much more popular.
The pathway to heaven is superior to the pathway to hell. No man can get to heaven, except through Jesus. I'll choose the pathway to heaven via Jesus. :madgrin:

Conversely, many radical Islamists are willing to kill any other religions of differing beliefs. That puts an odd spin on extremism.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »
Absolutely, Me Again!  The material I posted came from the link I posted at the bottom.  It is not that which I would personally profess to anyone and would edit that part out of it if I had the authority to do so now.  Haste makes waste!

Blessings,

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 03:17:38 AM »
Oh I knew you would never post such a thing, Quasar. :drum:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter