693 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Is Baptism necessary for our salvation?  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Is Baptism necessary for our salvation?
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:57:44 PM »
The following is from a friend who experienced the following episode, and asks the following questions about baptism. The comments made, are also his. What are your thoughts?

"This afternoon, during a long drive home, I happened to tune into Chuck Smith's radio program "The Pastor's Perspective." A young man called in to ask, "What must I do to be saved?" Chuck Smith quoted Acts 16:25-31a, part of the story of the miraculous release from prison of St. Paul. Part of what the above text says is "Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved..." (RSV) Chuck Smith then told the young man that was all that he needed to do, after neglecting to complete the text. The young man expressed doubts that his act of accepting Christ as his Lord and Savior was all he needed to do. I believe Chuck Smith was, in this instance, guilty of misleading the young man, and deliberately misquoting Scripture in order to fit his own view of salvation."

"What Chuck Smith failed to do was to read the entire text, which finishes in verses 32-33 with the jailer and his household being baptised. In Matthew 28:16-20 our Lord instructs the Apostles to make disciples and baptise them. Throughout the Acts of the Apostles, whenever conversions take place, the new converts were immediately baptised. (Acts 2:37-42; 8:36-38; 10:44-48; 16:29-34; 19:1-7)."

"The question is whether you believe baptism is necessary for salvation or not. Do you agree with Chuck Smith or disagree? If you believe it is not necessary, then why do you ignore the texts in Scripture that indicate that baptism is necessary?"

Your comments are invited,

Blessings,

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Re: Is Baptism necessary for our salvation?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 10:06:50 PM »
Chuck Smith may have failed to read the entire passage, but the Lord Jesus Christ had the prerogative to allow a thief on the corss (next to Him) to enter His kingdom without being baptized. Thus, baptism isn't necessary to enter the kingdom of heaven, as was demonstrated by a last minute appeal of the thief on the cross. However, it is wise to get baptized to show allegiance to His majesty because the bible tells us to do so.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline RevJWWhiteJr

• Pre-Trib, Partial Rapturist
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • The Partial Rapture Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 07:00:36 AM »
The one baptism spoken of in Ephesians is indeed necessary for salvation. It is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Each person upon conversion is "baptized into his death" or emersed in the Holy Spirit and raised a new creature in Christ. The physical baptism is a public profession of faith, one making a statement in the physical of what has taken place in their life in the spiritual.

The first must take place, and does upon conversion. The other should be done to show ones commitment to the Lord and his new life in Christ, but is not necessary for the aquisition or retainment of salvation.

The thief on the cross was baptized in the Holy Spirit, although we have no record of the event. If he was not, he died in his sin of unbelief. He believed in Jesus while upon the cross before his own death, of and in which Jesus preceeded him. The New Covenant (ending The Old) came into effect with the last breath and words of Jesus. "It is finished."

Ephesians 4:5
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, (necessary for salvation.)
Author: The Partial Rapture "Theory" Explained / Escaping The Coming Storm

The Partial Rapture Forum : partialrapture.net
Email directly at revjwwhitejr@aol.com

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 08:41:24 AM »
According to the Mt.3:11; Mk.1:8; Lk.3:16; Jn.1:33 and Acts2:1-3, we are baptized by Jesus Christ with the Holy Spirit when we receive Him as our Lord and Savior - unto our salvation.  See Jn.20:22; 1 Jn.3:24 and 1 Jn.4:13.

As previously posted by me again, the thief on the cross is clear evidence water baptism is not necessary for our salvation.  But rather, it is our solemn public pledge to our belief and commitment to the Lord, of the repentence of our sins, burying them at the cross of Jesus and rising as the symbol of our doing so as He did in our own resurrection unto life.  See Eph.1:13-14.

Quasar
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 08:45:06 AM by Quasar »
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 10:53:19 AM »
This brings up two distinct baptismal issues:
1. Is baptism necessary for salvation?
2. Is it okay to baptize an entire family, to include the infants and children?

What Chuck Smith failed to do was to read the entire text, which finishes in verses 32-33 with the jailer and his household being baptised.

Infant Baptism
The jailers entire family was baptized. This is where the tradition of infant baptism began (see Acts 16:33).  How do you read and interpret this scripture, regarding infant baptism? Did the Apostle Paul err in baptizing the entire family, to include children and infants?

Baptism by Desire
We all know that the thief on the cross went to heaven without being baptized because Jesus told him he'd go. This is called "baptism by desire" i.e. if the thief were given the opportunity to be baptized, he would have been, so he receives credit for baptism.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Randy S

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:34:23 PM »
As was previously mentioned by others, we know by Jesus' testimony about the thief on the cross that it is possible to be saved without being baptized by water.  Putting that together with other scripture that speakes of being baptized, we can also imply that if we have the opportunity to be baptized (which the thief did not) and refuse it, we are in rebellion against God, which by definition means that we are not saved.

In other words, you can bet that the thief would have glady been baptized if he'd had the chance, and you can bet that a person who refuses to publicly confess his trust in God for salvation when he has the opportunity is not right with God.

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://www.gerald285.com
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:23:49 AM »
The answer is no to the OP question. However if someone refuses the baptism it is an indicator that they might not be saved.
Isaiah 48:18,Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter