406 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Slain In The Spirit  (Read 1136 times)

Brotherdavid

Slain In The Spirit
« on: January 14, 2010, 04:02:01 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has ever been "slain" in the spirit ?
What was it like ? Do you believe this is really God ?

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vo-qDEJo90

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
Re: Slain In The Spirit
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 12:43:47 AM »
First, I'll come right out and say I think Benny Hinn is a fraud and charlatan in the worse order.  I didn't watch the whole video, but as soon as I saw him trying to explain the "anointing", I shut it off in disgust.

As far as what Pentecostals would refer to as "being slain in the Spirit", I believe it is possible to be so overwhelmed by God's presence that your physical being is weakened to the point of falling over.  This has more than ample scriptural basis.

Saying that, I believe it is incredibly abused in many Pentecostal/Charismatic circles.  I believe it to the exception and not the rule to experience this phenomenon.

My two cents :)
John O

Online me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 08:16:48 AM »
Facinating video. I watched it all. After watching it, I wondered if there are scriptural references for falling down or falling in the presence of God -- or falling in the presence of a preacher who is under what some charismatics call "the anointing" (any scriptural reference for this latter part is greatly appreciated).
Quote from: John Oscar;45078
As far as what Pentecostals would refer to as "being slain in the Spirit", I believe it is possible to be so overwhelmed by God's presence that your physical being is weakened to the point of falling over.  This has more than ample scriptural basis.
The 24 elders "fell down" before the Lamb (Jesus) in Revelation 5:8 and 5:14. Also, the video pointed out that in John 18:6, the band of men who came to arrest Jesus "went backward and fell to the ground" when Jesus announced Himself. Conversely, Moses didn't fall down when he saw the burning bush in Exodus 3:2-6, although the Lord did tell him to remove his shoes since he was standing on holy ground. From a scriptural standpoint, there is a reference for "falling down" in the presence of His majesty; however, I don't know of any references where people fell down in the presence of the apostles or other preachers -- unless it simply isn't recorded in the bible.

:bathbaby:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 09:09:18 PM »
Daniel and the Apostle John would be two examples that immediately come to mind, but it should be noted that both instances were directly connected with theophanies or archangelic presences (not that angels should be worshipped).
John O

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:55:38 AM »
Ok...there is a huge difference between falling down in the presence of a holy being than what happens at these annointings. Do a search and see the reactions of those who encountered a holy being. Isaiah, Daniel, Moses, Gideon etc..etc.. These men fell down because they felt unworthy and in the case of Daniel when he was taken into vision he lost his strength. However, there is no record of them flopping around and convulsing, barking like dogs, being stuck to the floor for hours, behaving like a drunk, laughing in the spirit etc..etc..

Our God is a God of order not of chaos. Compare what the disciples did on the day of Pentecost to what is going in the video!

Yes...those peolple were "slain in the spirit" but it was not the Holy Spirit.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter