656 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Head of the Household  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Head of the Household
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:55:49 AM »
Can someone direct me to passages that clearly teach that the man is to be the "head of the household"?  I have heard this talked about often, but I would like to find where it is clearly taught in Scripture.

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
Re: Head of the Household
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 10:52:08 AM »
1Co 11:3  But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

1Pe 3:6  Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.

1Ti 2:12  But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
1Ti 2:13  For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
1Ti 2:14  And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Of course a lot of people will argue that Paul said this only in context of his current culture. However, you'll read the verses given and even go back and read the verses in their context you'll see that he gave only theological reasons. His counsel was not based in culture.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »
Thank you Zaph.  This gives me something to look at.

Online John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 05:00:06 PM »
Eph 5:22-6:1

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh."  32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband. NKJV

From years of marriage counseling I will say this- most of the time that men complain about their wives not submitting to their authority is because they give them nothing to submit to.  Husbands are to be Jesus to their wives, loving her above all else (save God).  

If all men would do that, women would fall all over themselves to submit and serve.
John O

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:45:14 AM »
John, I am curious. Do you know of any good books that have layed out Biblically the different roles in marriage without being biased one direction or another? It seems that most books these days blame the man for everything. Now don't get me wrong the Biblically speaking the man has a huge and important role to play. But I'm not convinced that one role is more important than another.

Online John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 10:44:48 AM »
I'm not meaning to be simplistic, but the bible is the best book there is.  Much of what is passed off as a biblical study of marriage is stuffed with new age or popular opinion of what people think marriage should be.

A study of the NT will show you the boundries and what God considers His will for our "roles" in the marriage relationship.
John O

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 12:34:20 PM »
Understood. Can't get a much better reference than the Bible itself.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter