394 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: If "Only God hath immortality." (I Timothy 6:16).  (Read 4489 times)

Stan

If "Only God hath immortality." (I Timothy 6:16).
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:25:59 AM »
If "Only God hath immortality." (I Timothy 6:16), then can Angels die?

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
Re: If "Only God hath immortality." (I Timothy 6:16).
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:10:26 PM »
Immorality in that sense also refers to time immemorial stretching backwards, not just forwards.  In that sense, the scripture speaks correctly in that God alone is immortal.
John O

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 09:25:35 AM »
Satan was an angel and he will die.

Online me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »
Quote from: John Oscar;45206
Immorality in that sense also refers to time immemorial stretching backwards, not just forwards.  In that sense, the scripture speaks correctly in that God alone is immortal.
It depends on how death is defined.

1. Spiritual death, such as when Adam & Eve sinned, thus facing expulsion from the Garden of Eden, along with the death of their mortal bodies.

2. Execution of spiritual judgment at the Great White Throne Judgment, where people will be judged without Jesus as an advocate. They will be be cast into the Lake of Fire where "the worm dieth not."
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline rstrats

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 04:32:55 PM »
me again,’

re: “They will be be cast into the Lake of Fire where "the worm dieth not.’”

OK, so we have immortal worms.  But where does it say that man is inherently immortal?

Online me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:50:51 AM »
Quote from: rstrats;45674
me again,’

re: “They will be be cast into the Lake of Fire where "the worm dieth not.’”

OK, so we have immortal worms.  But where does it say that man is inherently immortal?
God alone has immortality and that's why humans suffer a "mortal" death, ever since the fall of Adam and Eve. After the mortal body dies, a human either goes to heaven or hell where we await the final judgment, which is either the Great White Throne Judgment (for the unsaved) or the Judgment Seat of Christ (for the saved). Jesus told the story about Lazarus and the rich man. After their mortal bodies died, they went to their respective places. This aptly demonstrates two things:

1. The mortal body dies.

2. After the death of the mortal body, our souls go to two separate abodes, one for the saved and the other for the unsaved.

Thank you kindly for asking! :behindsofa:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 09:45:14 AM »
However, According to Paul, in 1 Cor.15:52-54, all of us who belong to Christ, will become immortal.  But the fact of the matter is, everyone is immortal from the time they are born [created].  The spirit/soul never dies, regardless of whether our citizenship is in heaven, or in the lake of fire.

As for Satan, his angels, they were all condemned from an immortal state.   Therefore, there is little reason to think the same thing could not happen to other angels, or any of us.

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Online me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 06:40:19 PM »
Quote from: Quasar;45689
However, According to Paul, in 1 Cor.15:52-54, all of us who belong to Christ, will become immortal.  But the fact of the matter is, everyone is immortal from the time they are born [created].  The spirit/soul never dies, regardless of whether our citizenship is in heaven, or in the lake of fire.

As for Satan, his angels, they were all condemned from an immortal state.   Therefore, there is little reason to think the same thing could not happen to other angels, or any of us.

Quasar
It also depends on how immortality is defined. Those who believe in soul sleep believe that humans completely cease to exist at death, similar to animals -- except that they believe in a future resurrection. I personally know that our mortal bodies die, but our souls/spirits continue to live after the death of our mortal bodies because Jesus said so and He cannot lie. :)

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://www.gerald285.com
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 10:55:02 AM »
Quote from: Quasar;45689

Quasar

I would disagree that we are all immortal from birth.  We are born dead. The life we have is only of the flesh. Life is a gift from God and starts at salvation.
Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. This is the new birth.

The lost are nothing but the walking dead. The fact that their soul will continue on through eternity does not constitute life. As a matter of fact the lost will receive a new body and spend eternity in hell in the body that they loved so much.
Isaiah 48:18,Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 11:26:16 AM »
Quote from: saved;45720
I would disagree that we are all immortal from birth.  We are born dead. The life we have is only of the flesh. Life is a gift from God and starts at salvation.
Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. This is the new birth.

The lost are nothing but the walking dead. The fact that their soul will continue on through eternity does not constitute life. As a matter of fact the lost will receive a new body and spend eternity in hell in the body that they loved so much.

Q: See Ecc.12:7!

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 02:05:58 PM »
Quote from: Quasar;45723
Q: See Ecc.12:7!

Quasar

Yes and I am aware of that passage, but is that speaking of the lost or saved? If it is speaking of the lost then the story that the Lord told about the rich man and Lazarus makes no sense. In fact it would be false.
The JW's use that passage to teach soul sleep.
Isaiah 48:18,Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 11:57:23 PM »
Quote from: me again;45700
It also depends on how immortality is defined. Those who believe in soul sleep believe that humans completely cease to exist at death, similar to animals -- except that they believe in a future resurrection. I personally know that our mortal bodies die, but our souls/spirits continue to live after the death of our mortal bodies because Jesus said so and He cannot lie. :)

Q: According to Ecc.12:7; 2 Cor.5:6-8; 1 Thes.4:14; Rev.6:9-11 and Rev.7:9-17, soul sleep is non-Scriptural.

Quasar

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 12:01:39 AM »
Quote from: saved;45724
Yes and I am aware of that passage, but is that speaking of the lost or saved? If it is speaking of the lost then the story that the Lord told about the rich man and Lazarus makes no sense. In fact it would be false.
The JW's use that passage to teach soul sleep.

Q: Ecc.12:7 refers to everyone who ever lived.  See Ez.18:4.  See my response to Me Again re soul sleep.

Quasar

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 07:58:45 AM »
Quote from: Quasar;45728
Q: Ecc.12:7 refers to everyone who ever lived.  See Ez.18:4.  See my response to Me Again re soul sleep.

Quasar

I am not so sure that the second passage supports the first or even explains it, but what part of the person who is lost goes to hell at death?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:21:09 AM by saved »

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 10:12:55 AM »
According to 1 Cor.15:52-54, the bodies of all those resurrected will be changed in a twinkling of an eye, from perishable to imperishable and from mortal to immortal.

The second resurrection of Rev.20:5, just before the GWT judgement, in Rev.20:11-15, is described in Dan.12:2, where some will awake to everlasting life and others to shame and evelasting contempt.

Those who are relegated to everlasting contempt will have the very same bodily changes the righteous ones will have.  No perishable human body can last forever or keep from burning up.  See Isa.66:24 and Mk.9:48.

Quasar

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter