322 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Have you ever explored Catholicism?  (Read 15184 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Have you ever explored Catholicism?
« on: May 07, 2010, 06:53:12 PM »
So has anyone here ever studied Catholicism and the Catholic Catechism? :eek:

We hear so much about it -- and there are many websites about it -- but has anyone ever gone straight to the source to study it e.g. the Catholic Catechism? It would be interesting to see what it says.

I'm too busy to read the Catholic Catechism, so I bought a book called Catholicism for Dummies and it's straightforward. You don't need a college degree in theology to understand the basic tenants that are explained. However, I'm only on about page 3 so far. :snicker:

Thoughts?  :o
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:52:16 AM by me again »
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Jimmy Clifton

• Disciples of Christ
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Re: Have you ever explored Catholicism?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Quote from: me again;45246
So has anyone here ever studied Catholicism and the Catholic Catechism? :eek:

We hear so much about it -- and there are many websites about it -- but has anyone ever gone straight to the source to study it e.g. the Catholic Catechism? It would be interesting to see what it says.

I'm too busy to read the Catholic Catechism, so I bought a book called Catholicism for Dummies and it's straightforward. You don't need a college degree in theology to understand the basic tenants that are explained. However, I'm only on about page 3 so far. :snicker:

:confused: Thoughts? :boink:

I grew up in New Orleans and have studied Catholicism.  It's an interesting denomination, especially the Old Catholic and Liberal Catholic groups.

eegles2003

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 06:23:50 AM »
denomination?  i never thought of the catholic chuch as a denomination.

Offline Jimmy Clifton

• Disciples of Christ
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »
Quote from: eegles2003;45286
denomination?  i never thought of the catholic chuch as a denomination.

Guess I never gave it much thought.  The Roman Catholic Church is listed as a denomination in all of Mead's Handbook of Denominations as well as The Encyclopedia of American Religions.  Interesting thought, however.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 09:03:57 AM »
Quote from: Jimmy Clifton;45259
I grew up in New Orleans and have studied Catholicism.  It's an interesting denomination, especially the Old Catholic and Liberal Catholic groups.
It says "The Baha''i Faith" in your sig. What the heck is that???
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Jimmy Clifton

• Disciples of Christ
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »
Quote from: me again;45292
It says "The Baha''i Faith" in your sig. What the heck is that???

It's a link, click on it.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 10:25:58 PM »
Quote from: Jimmy Clifton;45296
It's a link, click on it.
Ahhhhhhh I clicked on it!!!! :frusty:

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 04:40:36 PM »
Hi guys,

First of all, check out: 

http://www.bereancall.org/newsletters/heresy.htm

Make no mistake, unless you understand the intended Scriptural theological interpretion of the Scriptures, and fall into the dogma of Catholicism, it will eat you alive!  Beginning with Amillennialism and Replacement theology as a case and point.  The latter being the trigger for the horrible Crusades.  Check out what Chuck Missler has to say about it:

http://deeperwalk.lefora.com/2010/07/16/origin-of-amillennialism-and-the-replacement-theol/

Though I know this will hit a sore spot with some, but trinitarianism is another heresy in the attempt to describe God/Father/Son/HolySpirit.  It is not only in gross error, but verges on being literally silly, if the issue was not as serious as it is.

The key key logical failure is the following RCC stand on passages such as Mt.28:19 and 1 Jn.5:7.  In which the first is a gross alteration by a trinitarian zealot scribe, while 1 Jn.5:7 doesn't appear in any of the most reliable Greek mss.  But shows up much later in some of the Latin mss around the 12th century.  It is a flat out additive, in as much gross error as Mt.28:19 is.

The reason why they are so far out in lala land is the following:

The Doctrine of the Trinity consists of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, right?  What's wrong with that?

The Scriptures record God to be Spirit, in Jn.1:18; 4:24; Rom.1:20; 2 Cor.3:17-18; Col.1:15 and 1 Jn.4:12.  That He is Holy, in Lev.11:44-45 as well as in 1 Pet.1:15-16.  Therefore He is the Holy Spirit.  There is only one God, according to Isa.43:10 and 44:6!  This One God, who is the Holy Spirit, became the Father of Jesus Christ, as He had prophecied He was going to be many times in the OT, such as Ps.2:7, in Mt.1:20 and in Lk.1:35.

Now the fact of the matter is this:  God, who is the Holy Spirit, according to the Scriptures, is also the Father.  Which is the very same title all men receive when they produce children of their own.  Therefore, The Father and the Holy Spirit are one and he same!  One person - not two!

If anyone is looking for me, tell them I just left!  :)

Quasar
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:30:02 AM by Quasar »
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 11:07:13 AM »
Is Chuck Missler denying the trinity?  Or, did I read that incorrectly?

Baptist-boy

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 07:10:27 PM »

Most certainly the Catholic (Roman) Church is the only repository of salvation and the rest of the Christian world are poor hand me down dogs who have missed the point.  The only problem is history is not complete enough prove their assertion.  Hans Kung noted there are large gaps in the catholic succession and without those missing links proof cannot be offered.  The information regarding the early church apart from the Bible is quite sketchy and for over a hundred years it was primarily an oral history.  There are shinning stars but darkness regarding any idea of apostolic succession.

The Romans would have one believe after Augustine and the rise of his own theology no other church existed.  Why, Because they killed ones who would not become a part of imperial church.   My personal conviction is there has always been a decenting church who did not join with the Romans.  There a fleeting glances of them in history but proving the point has the same problems as proving a continuous succession of bishops.  From that perspective both sand on equal ground. 

I think the importance for modern non-catholic is to go back to the first century church fathers and read and then take the ideas and use them.  While we cannot know the exact nature of the primitive church there are some road maps left for us.  This is a real reformation of faith and though.

Stan

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »
Or were they the first off-shoot from Christianity?

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 07:53:02 AM »
Or were they the first off-shoot from Christianity?

Hummmmmmm never thought of it that way.  :o

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 07:57:31 AM »
Hans Kung noted there are large gaps in the catholic succession and without those missing links proof cannot be offered.

The book Catholicism for Dummies teaches that there are two official sources of sacred knowledge:
1. Sacred scriptures
2. Sacred tradition (within the Catholic Church).

For example, nowhere in the bible does it say that Jesus was married or unmarried or that he had children or that he didn't have children. Anyone who says that Jesus was married or wasn't married is adding to something that isn't in the bible. So where does Christianity get the idea that Jesus was not married and did not have children? Catholicism teaches that it's part of sacred tradition.

Baptist-boy

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 03:31:01 PM »
You are right regarding the role of tradition in the Catholic church/s/. Moving toward a discussion of the marital status of the Lord is a new topic and not comparable with the former concept.  Let me interject another catholic dogma, that of the Conscience of the Church.  This teaches even if a bishop speaks ex-cathedra (teaching as infallible interpreter of the word of God) or if a church council makes a new teaching or canon the conscience of the church can reject the teaching.  Now the Romans have attempted to modify this by the pope being infallible (1872 circa).

The reason I mention this is the conscience of the church is also a way maintaining good doctrine in the church.  Many teachers including the Masons have attempted to invent doctrines saying Mary M and Jesus were cohabiting lovers and Jesus had children which decedents who became the crown heads of Europe and finally the divine right of kings to rule.  There are other absurdities not worth mentioning in this small space.  The point is the conscience of the church has always rejected these teachings.  You see even in modern day and in protestantism the conscience of the church continues to work.  It is an expression of the spirit of regeneration working in the believer and it is this spirit which ultimately leads the church and stabilizes its doctrine.

In modern Baptist Churches we teach because the spirit resides in each member the church comes together and after prayer votes and the decision represents not just a consensus  but the will of God in the matter.  This is again the conscience of the church.  It cannot be applied to politics because the politics are in the arena of the secular and to work the conscience of the assumes regeneration.  It did so in  the early church and later baptism even was of infants the symbol of regeneration.  This is the point were the church began to be the imperial church.

My mention of Hans Kung was to illustrate modern roman theologians disagree with the infallibility of the pope and some like Kung take issue with mystic power coming though the apostolic succession.  Denying this mystic power then makes the papal office a farce of poor doctrine.  On the other hand the conscience of the church may take a long time work and maybe it is again working in the romans churches.  In Isaiah's time the Word of the Lord was lost in the house of the Lord.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 08:51:28 AM »
Let me interject another catholic dogma, that of the Conscience of the Church.  This teaches even if a bishop speaks ex-cathedra (teaching as infallible interpreter of the word of God) or if a church council makes a new teaching or canon the conscience of the church can reject the teaching.  Now the Romans have attempted to modify this by the pope being infallible (1872 circa).

Catholicism teaches that the pope is fallible, along with his teachings, unless he is speaking from the chair of Peter in conjunction with the magisterium. This is similar to the way the Baptists do it at a local level, except this is at a Catholic or global level.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter