267 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Have you ever explored Catholicism?  (Read 15182 times)

Baptist-boy

Re: Have you ever explored Catholicism?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 12:19:33 PM »
"Catholicism teaches that the pope is fallible, along with his teachings, unless he is speaking from the chair of Peter in conjunction with the magisterium. This is similar to the way the Baptists do it at a local level, except this is at a Catholic or global level"

Baptists teach the Priesthood of the Believer and believe when a church is gathered together in a prayerful manner that the voting of the church will reflect the will of Holy Spirit in selecting a pastor or other matters of business.  The Word of God is always the basis and measure of correctness because the Spirit will never be contrary to the scriptures.

The Orthodox Church which was and is the precursor to the Church of the Roman's teach the doctrine of the Conscience of the Church" and do not have a magisterium in the sense of the Roman concept.   They have the Councils as a basis of Canon Law (yes, the will shoot you with it if your get out of line).  After the late 1970's the Romans have taught the Pope is Infallible (Vat 1).  That is also when the teaching of Mary as being conceived without sin was made part of the formal teaching of the church.  In Vatican 2 the teaching of the Pope being infallible was clarified to mean that when the pope speaks something automatically becomes part of the body of theology of the church.  The pope by virtue of his infallibility can change doctrine and over rule church councils.  This had not been the case for 1700 hundred years.  If the current pope would just become born again much of these non-sense  teachings would die a quick and humane death.

In Baptist understanding the HOly Spirit enters the person when he is born again and not when one is baptized as a toddler and given the spirit at the hands of the priest when oil is applied in chrismation.  This is the practice of the Orthodox Church and is the Historic teaching of the Roman Church and continues to be taught in parts of Mexico and Puerto Rico.  The functional application is that of Regenerate Church Membership as the basis for the operation of the Priesthood of the Believer.

I hope this clarifies the difference between Orthodox Catholic, Roman Catholic and Baptist teachings.

By The Way, was w.A. Criswell a Southern Baptist Pope?

Offline Overaged

• "The joy of the Lord will be my strength" Neh 8:10
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 02:22:50 AM »
So has anyone here ever studied Catholicism and the Catholic Catechism? :eek:

We hear so much about it -- and there are many websites about it -- but has anyone ever gone straight to the source to study it e.g. the Catholic Catechism? It would be interesting to see what it says.

I studied regularly with Roman Catholic apologists and lay members, for five years. It was a very interesting experience, to say the least.

One thing I would say at this point though is that there are a lot of really wild misconceptions and misunderstandings on what they officially teach and why.

It's not just a matter of studying the Catechism; one must get out there and be in person with Roman Catholics who are well trained in their beliefs, to really understand 2 things:

1) What they believe and how well you actually understand it
2) What you believe and how well you actually understand it.

One thing that I would urge caution with is how Roman Catholic theology will use similar words as Protestants, but with much different meanings than what Protestants would mean when they use same.

A good example would be the word Bible. They say they are a Bible-based Church. But what do they actually mean when they say "Bible," as opposed to what we mean when we say it?

I was quite shocked by the answer when I first discovered it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:25:11 AM by Overaged »
I will not recoil before the torments that are prepared for me by my enemies and false witnesses, who will one day have to render an account of their impostures before the great God, whom nothing can deceive.”  {GC88 113.1}

- Overaged

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »
One thing that I would urge caution with is how Roman Catholic theology will use similar words as Protestants, but with much different meanings than what Protestants would mean when they use same.

A good example would be the word Bible. They say they are a Bible-based Church. But what do they actually mean when they say "Bible," as opposed to what we mean when we say it?

I was quite shocked by the answer when I first discovered it.

Are you going to leave us on that cliff hanger?  :o LOL

If my memory serves me correctly, they have three things that they consider to be equivalent in authority:
1. Holy scriptures
2. Holy traditions (passed down from the apostles either by word of mouth or by letter)
3. Magisterium

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:08:50 AM by me again »
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Overaged

• "The joy of the Lord will be my strength" Neh 8:10
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 01:53:40 AM »
Are you going to leave us on that cliff hanger?  :o LOL

If my memory serves me correctly, they have three things that they consider to be equivalent in authority:
1. Holy scriptures
2. Holy traditions (passed down from the apostles either by word of mouth or by letter)
3. Magisterium

LOL; sorry about the cliff hanger. But you said it very well   :)
I will not recoil before the torments that are prepared for me by my enemies and false witnesses, who will one day have to render an account of their impostures before the great God, whom nothing can deceive.”  {GC88 113.1}

- Overaged

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:45 AM »
From the Catholic Eschatological Exegesis in the link below, are found the errors of 1. Amillennialism, that there will be no kingdom on earth of Jesus, and a restored kingdom of Israel;

2. Supersessionism/Replacement theology, of replacing Israel with the Church and referring to the Church as the True Israel; 3. the denial of the pre-tribulation rapture of the Church and the Millennial reign of Jesus Here on the earth; 4 attributing the teachings of Jesus, Paul, John and Luke on the pre-tribulation rapture of the Church and of the restored kingdom of Israel, when Jesus will reign of the throne of David here on earth, to John Darby; 5.That Jesus kingdom will be in heaven; the word prophecy is never mentioned once, though there is 27% of the Bible that is prophecy.

http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features2006/colson_eschatology_jun06.asp

Quasar

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 08:17:37 AM by Quasar »
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Catalyst

• Theologyreview.com
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Dallas
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »

We hear so much about it -- and there are many websites about it -- but has anyone ever gone straight to the source to study it e.g. the Catholic Catechism? It would be interesting to see what it says.

I'm too busy to read the Catholic Catechism, so I bought a book called Catholicism for Dummies and it's straightforward. You don't need a college degree in theology to understand the basic tenants that are explained. However, I'm only on about page 3 so far. :snicker:

Thoughts?  :o

Nope.

But, what I have done is debate with educated and reasonable Catholics their positions.  Understood the arguments, then tried to support them biblically, rather than find verses to argue against them.  The latter leads to Eisegesis and proof texting.  I also went to early Church Fathers and looked for their observations.

I will defend Apostolic Authority.  I will defend their position that the Church is God's "neck" and Christ is the head of the church.  I will defend that if the Pope sit as the head of the bishops, on a debate theologically and decided that his decision would be as absolute as if Christ made it on earth, OR James did in Jerusalem.  What I can't do, is claim that Rome holds the Church that is actually God's church.  But, their idea is well documented biblically. 

I will defend that the idea we have today of sola scriptura is contradicted by the scriptura itself.  But, again, I can't say that Rome has the crown to determine what to say, but ABSOULTELY our interpretations should be in line with Church History, the Patristic teachings, etc...  To not be would mean we have made a change.  And personally I don't think we are that bright.

I find scripture very clear that there is to be one Church not many.  And that since the reformation the fruit of that maneuver has caused divisions and fractions, which Paul says is of the flesh, not the Spirit in Gal 5:19-21. 

So, I hope that if I'm going to be shunned, it would be after we discussed why I believe what I believe.  And I'd remind anyone who might want to shun me, that I don't support Rome as the owner of some of their claims, I merely acknowledge they are Biblical.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 09:40:54 AM »
Check out the following critique of Catholocism:

Due to the length of these two reports I will provide the links for those who care to check it out.

http://deeperwalk.lefora.com/2011/06/16/criticism-of-catholic-beliefs/

See also:  LIST OF HERESIES And HUMAN TRADITIONS ADOPTED by the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH IN THE COURSE OF 1600 YEARS

http://deeperwalk.lefora.com/2011/08/26/list-of-adopted-roman-catholic-heresies-and-human-/

Quasar

"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Catalyst

• Theologyreview.com
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Dallas
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »
The book Catholicism for Dummies teaches that there are two official sources of sacred knowledge:
1. Sacred scriptures
2. Sacred tradition (within the Catholic Church).

For example, nowhere in the bible does it say that Jesus was married or unmarried or that he had children or that he didn't have children. Anyone who says that Jesus was married or wasn't married is adding to something that isn't in the bible. So where does Christianity get the idea that Jesus was not married and did not have children? Catholicism teaches that it's part of sacred tradition.

Errrr.  Paul commanded that timothy remember the things he said, and teach them and pass them on.  DING  Right there, Paul supported and taught tradition.

People really need to rethink some of their presuppositions periodically and check what they've been taught.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »

Offline stMichael

• Peace in all Things
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 01:49:54 AM »
I'm too busy to read the Catholic Catechism, so I bought a book called Catholicism for Dummies and it's straightforward. You don't need a college degree in theology to understand the basic tenants that are explained. However, I'm only on about page 3 so far. :snicker:

Thoughts?  :o

Hello Me Again,   Nice of you to try to go to the source instead...  I was hoping you would have converted to the Catholic Faith by now... LOL

How have you been?
God Bless,
Michael

Offline stMichael

• Peace in all Things
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 02:12:08 AM »

I have read a lot of it...  Studied it but can't say all of it...   I use it as a reference more than a front to back book to read...   It depends on the subject matter that is my focus...   The Gospels are the main books for a Catholic... 

If a Catholic went to Mass ever day of the year the would have the Bible read to them in almost in it's entirety...   If they only go to Sunday Mass it would take three years to have the Bible read to you....
God Bless,
Michael

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 08:45:42 AM »
Hello Me Again,   Nice of you to try to go to the source instead...  I was hoping you would have converted to the Catholic Faith by now... LOL

I did, although I didn't advertise it or discuss it here. I'm also in a Roman Catholic graduate program for pastoral ministries for laypeople, but I've been silent on the issue until now -- because you asked. LOL

The book (Catholicism for Dummies) is actually the best, most comprehensive and easy-to-read book I've ever read on the issue because it's broken down into logical and manageable sections, including a historical perspective (such as the schism of 1054 C.E.), praying to the saints (Heb. 12:1a), and other technical issues that are explained in easy-to-understand terms. It's a wonderful book for an outsider because it opens the door of understanding in a simple way. Coincidentally, I just got the book out a couple of days ago to look something up and was considering  re-reading it again, since it's such an easy read.  It's sitting beside me right now.  :o

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:48:00 AM by me again »
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline stMichael

• Peace in all Things
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 09:37:38 AM »
I did, although I didn't advertise it or discuss it here. I'm also in a Roman Catholic graduate program for pastoral ministries for laypeople, but I've been silent on the issue until now -- because you asked. LOL

That is awesome news...  welcome home...  I pray people will always seek the truth where ever it leads them... 
God Bless,
Michael

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »
That is awesome news...  welcome home...  I pray people will always seek the truth where ever it leads them...

Are you the same St. Michael that posted here about 3 or 5 years ago?

Offline stMichael

• Peace in all Things
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »
Are you the same St. Michael that posted here about 3 or 5 years ago?

Yes...  Been on a. Purple ones...   Christian Chat also
God Bless,
Michael

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter