622 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Deut passage  (Read 995 times)

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://www.gerald285.com
Deut passage
« on: October 26, 2010, 10:44:29 AM »
The following passage is certainly an unusual passage. It sounds like God is condoning wild and riotous activities, but that cannot be. What is your take on this passage. Look at the words carefully as they do seem to support running wild at this event.
Deu 14:26 and spend the money for whatever you desire--oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the LORD your God and rejoice, you and your household.
Isaiah 48:18,Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.

Online me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Re: Deut passage
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:57:19 AM »
Quote from: saved;45876
The following passage is certainly an unusual passage. It sounds like God is condoning wild and riotous activities, but that cannot be. What is your take on this passage. Look at the words carefully as they do seem to support running wild at this event.
Deu 14:26 and spend the money for whatever you desire--oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the LORD your God and rejoice, you and your household.
This is one passage amongst many that proves that the Lord is against abusing alcohol (e.g. drunkards shall not inherit the kingdom of heaven), but is not against using His creation in social moderation (e.g. the Lord turned water into wine and in Isiah's scripture, He acknowledges imbibing in strong liquor). There are some who claim that the Lord has never condoned drinking alcoholic beverages, but they are simply wrong. It is written in the scriptures.

What is your take on this scripture?
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://www.gerald285.com
Re: Deut passage
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:30:48 AM »
Quote from: me again;45883
This is one passage amongst many that proves that the Lord is against abusing alcohol (e.g. drunkards shall not inherit the kingdom of heaven), but is not against using His creation in social moderation (e.g. the Lord turned water into wine and in Isiah's scripture, He acknowledges imbibing in strong liquor). There are some who claim that the Lord has never condoned drinking alcoholic beverages, but they are simply wrong. It is written in the scriptures.

What is your take on this scripture?

Someplace you lost me. How does that passage prove that the Lord is against abusing alcohol? (by the way I agree that He is against drunkenness). In the passage the Lord is commanding them to drink and eat.
Isaiah 48:18,Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter