267 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Those who sleep in Christ  (Read 3234 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Those who sleep in Christ
« on: September 29, 2011, 05:58:20 PM »
Quote from: Thessalonians 4:16
"...those who have fallen asleep in Christ..."

A Roman Catholic nun said on TV that the bible describes those who have died as having "fallen asleep" because they really aren't dead, similar to Jesus Christ's testimony about Lazarus and the rich man.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Stan

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Friend of Sinners
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://www.theologyreview.com
Re: Those who sleep in Christ
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 10:40:22 PM »
I agree with her...
( I held off a long time to post this  :)  )

in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/15-52.htm
Courage

Stan

http://www.theologyreview.com

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippian

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:26:55 AM »
Stan, you are going to be surprised after your mortal body dies and you find yourself still alive in heaven with Jesus in your celestial (spiritual) body, as you await resurrection day. You will never cease to exist, even momentarily.  :)
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »
As me again posted about the term "alseep in Christ," All of us who belong to the Lord will be taken to be with Him immediately following our physical death, according to 2 Cor.5:6-8 and Phil.1:21-23, confirming Ecc.12:7.  When Jesus returns for the rest of us still alive at His appearing, they will all be returning with Him from heaven, according to vs 1 Thes.4:14.

Verse 16 is the key, which states "the dead in Christ will rise first..."  Contrary to common belief, many believe that means all those who died in Christ are going to be resurrected, which is false!  Because they will have all been raised once before and in heaven with Jesus. 

But rather, together with verses 13 and 15, vs 16 is Paul's assurance to the Thessalonians that their dead in christ will not miss the rapture of the Church.

Quasar

"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Catalyst

• Theologyreview.com
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Dallas
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 09:30:46 PM »
I agree with her...
( I held off a long time to post this  :)  )

in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/15-52.htm
Wouldn't that lead to some doubt that someone who was burned at death, would not come back? 

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 10:05:57 AM »
Wouldn't that lead to some doubt that someone who was burned at death, would not come back?

Reference to 1 Cor.15:52 pertains to the resurrection of Rev.20:4 and 6, consisting of all the martyrs of the seven year tribulation.  Whose spirit/souls are recorded in the perenthetic great multitude of Rev.7:9-17, in heaven.  When the resurrection takes place, they will reappear with glorified imperishable, immortal bodies, as Christ's was when He was resurrected, that will last forever.  They will begin by being made priests of God and of Christ and rule with Him for 1,000 years, according to Rev.20:6. 

IMO, the play on the term resurrection is in reality the restoration of the spirit/soul that returns to God immediately following physical death, as found in Ecc.12:7.  The dead human body returned to the earth is of no use whatever due to the fact it is perishable.  Therefore I do not believe in an actual resurrection of our dead perishable human bodies, but rather, the return of the spirit/soul from heaven in glorified spiritual bodies, as found in 1 Cor.15:44.  That is only my personal theological belief.

Much on the order of the angels who appeared hee on earth in fulfilling various missions for the Lord, such as in Gen.19, Jacob and his wrestling partner in Gen.32, The Captain of God's armies from heaven in Jos.5, and the fourth man in the firey furnace in Daniel 3.

Quasar   
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:13:03 AM by Quasar »
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Catalyst

• Theologyreview.com
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Dallas
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 07:21:21 PM »

Reference to 1 Cor.15:52 pertains to the resurrection of Rev.20:4 and 6, consisting of all the martyrs of the seven year tribulation.  Whose spirit/souls are recorded in the perenthetic great multitude of Rev.7:9-17, in heaven.  When the resurrection takes place, they will reappear with glorified imperishable, immortal bodies, as Christ's was when He was resurrected, that will last forever.  They will begin by being made priests of God and of Christ and rule with Him for 1,000 years, according to Rev.20:6. 

IMO, the play on the term resurrection is in reality the restoration of the spirit/soul that returns to God immediately following physical death, as found in Ecc.12:7.  The dead human body returned to the earth is of no use whatever due to the fact it is perishable.  Therefore I do not believe in an actual resurrection of our dead perishable human bodies, but rather, the return of the spirit/soul from heaven in glorified spiritual bodies, as found in 1 Cor.15:44.  That is only my personal theological belief.

Much on the order of the angels who appeared hee on earth in fulfilling various missions for the Lord, such as in Gen.19, Jacob and his wrestling partner in Gen.32, The Captain of God's armies from heaven in Jos.5, and the fourth man in the firey furnace in Daniel 3.

Quasar   

It seems to me that Paul was the one that said we were priests already, of the order of Melchizedek. 

Has that time already passed then?

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 04:16:18 PM »
You are apparently referring to the passages of Scripture in Hebrews, which has to do with Jesus, not to us.

Becoming priests of God and of Christ will not take place until after the end ot the tribulation and the first resurrection.  Effective during Jesus Millennial reign here on earth.

Quasar

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter