588 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Our rewards in heaven?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Our rewards in heaven?
« on: November 14, 2011, 04:01:09 PM »
Jesus said:

"I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be." (Rev. 22:22)

I view eternal life in two phases:

1. Initial salvation by grace.

2. Rewards that we earn on earth, which are accrued in heaven: "But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal" (Matt. 6:20). Once we get to heaven, we cannot earn any more rewards!!! Work done on earth gets us rewards in heaven. "For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward" (Mark 9:41).

I'm not advocating salvation by works, but am advocating that there are rewards in heaven for our works on earth. What are your thoughts about this?  :o

"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Re: Our rewards in heaven?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:21:17 AM »
A review of 1 Cor.3:10-15 pertaining to the Bema judgement of Christ, we will either receive the rewards we have earned while here on earth, or suffer loss if we have produced no fruit during that time.  The fire we will go through is literally His judgement. 

The fruit we produce is that which God has prepared for us to do as seen in Eph.2:10.

There are five crowns referred to in the Bible we can earn while in our natural human bodies here on earth, found in the following:

1. The Incorruptible Crown in 1 Cor.9:25-27.

2. The Crown of Life in Jas.1:12-13 and Rev.2:10.

3. The Crown of Righteousness in 2 Tim.4:8.

4. The Crown of Glory in 1 Pet.5:2-4.

5. The Crown of Rejoicing in Pr.11:30 and 1 Thes.2:19-20.

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 06:18:53 PM »
A review of 1 Cor.3:10-15 pertaining to the Bema judgement of Christ, we will either receive the rewards we have earned while here on earth, or suffer loss if we have produced no fruit during that time.  The fire we will go through is literally His judgement. 

When does that judgement occur:
1. At death (for the believer)
2. Or at the resurrection?

I think it would probably occur at our death.

Romans 14:10 states that "we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ" and 2 Corinthians 5:10 adds, "we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad."

The only question is: When is the judgement seat of Christ? Is it individually when each believer dies or is it a collective judgement? It's probably the former.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »
Here's what came to me today:

1.  All of our sins (mistakes) are washed away and do not follow us into heaven.

2.  The only thing that will follow us into heaven are our rewards from good works that we do for Jesus i.e. feeding the poor, showing acts of kindness, charity, love, etc.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 12:46:52 AM »
IMO the Bema judgement of Christ will take place when we first reach heaven.  It is not a judgement to determine our salvation, but rather what rewards we have or have not earned.

Quasar
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:34:52 AM by Quasar »
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:44:59 AM »
IMO the Bema judgement of Christ will take place when we first reach heaven.  It is not a judgement to determine our slvation, but rather what rewards we have or have not earned.

That is also my impression too.

Online John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 03:16:16 PM »
 "And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him."

Heb 9:27-28

Seems like right when we show up to me...
John O

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 05:10:56 PM »
"And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him."

Amen. You hit the nail on the head. I forgot about  that supporting scripture.  :)

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 10:08:32 AM »

When we show up where?  Such as we find in Jn.14:2-4, when Jesus returns for those of us who belong to Him and takes us to our Father in heaven?  That is when, IMO, the Bemo judgement of Christ will take place.  Is that what you are saying?

Quasar

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter