432 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Should we pray in tongues?  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Re: Should we pray in tongues?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 12:05:46 AM »
Quasar, I'm still in an exploratory stage, regarding praying or speaking in tongues and have not formed a definitive opinion, except that it is biblical.

I acknowledge that on Pentecost, Jews from all over the world were present and that they heard the Christians speaking in their own languages (in tongues praising God).

Conversely, there appears to be other biblical texts about tongues (and praying in the spirit) that may or may not align with your personal interpretation of what tongues really are.

LOL!  Everyone Jesus ministered to didn't all believe Him either, so I guess I'm in the same catagory as He is.  First of all, speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit to those of His choice.  It is not necessary for us to speak in tongues to either be heard in our prayers or to be saved.  Show me anything in the Bible that contradicts that statement.

There are those who place a great deal more importance on the issue than what the Bible teaches us.

It is the Holy Spirit from whom all tongues come from and who is capable of both hearing and understanding them all, since Gen.11:8-9.

Paul wrote that the gift of prophecy was greater than that of speaking in tongues, because it edified the Church.  We do not all have the gift of prophecy, nor is it necessary to have it to be understood by the Holy Spirit when we pray or for our salvation.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:07:22 AM by Quasar »
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 11:52:19 AM »
It is not necessary for us to speak in tongues to either be heard in our prayers or to be saved.  Show me anything in the Bible that contradicts that statement.

I just wanted to make one point.  Neither Me Again nor I am saying that you need to speak in tongues to be saved or to more heard in your prayers.  I want to make that point again because you keep leveling it against us.
John O

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »
LOL!  Everyone Jesus ministered to didn't all believe Him either, so I guess I'm in the same catagory as He is.

It is good to be categorized with Jesus.

First of all, speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy Spirit to those of His choice.

Agreed: “And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance” (Acts 2:4).

It is not necessary for us to speak in tongues to either be heard in our prayers or to be saved. 

The thief on the cross didn't speak in tongues, yet he still got saved and went to heaven.

Regarding being heard by God during prayer: For our prayers to be honored by God, we must pray in conformance with His Word. As long as our English prayers are in conformance with His Word, then those prayers are honored by Him. However, what does his Word say about tongues? 

"He who speaks in a tongue builds up himself" (1 Cor 14:4).

"Pray at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication"   (Ephesians 6:18).

"But you, beloved, build yourselves up on your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit"  (Jude verse 20).

"For one who speaks [prays] in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. . . He who speaks (prays) in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. Now I want you ALL to speak (pray) in tongues, but even more to prophesy"  (1 Corinthians 14:2–5).

Quasar, according to the above scripture, does Paul want you to pray in tongues?  :o

Paul wrote that the gift of prophecy was greater than that of speaking in tongues.

Paul also said he wished that we all spoke in tongues, didn't he?

"I would like every one of you to speak in tongues..." (1 Cor 15:5).
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 10:54:32 PM »
I just wanted to make one point.  Neither Me Again nor I am saying that you need to speak in tongues to be saved or to more heard in your prayers.  I want to make that point again because you keep leveling it against us.

The subject of the thread is "Should we pray in tongues."  I have provided you how I see and understand it as well as many who stand beside me about it.  I am not "leveling" anything at either of you, but rather disagreeing with what you believe.  In fact, I wrote that it matters not to me what you believe, in so many words.  When you pray, you do so in the spirit, as a member of the one body of Christ, by the one Spirit, so do I, in my own tongue. 

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 11:43:29 PM »
Originally posted by me again:
It is good to be categorized with Jesus.

I believe so too.  You might notice, Jesus did not pray in tongues.  The reason was that His ministry during His first advent was exclusively to Israel, according to Mt.15:24 as well as in Mt.10:5-6.

Agreed: “And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance” (Acts 2:4).

If I had been there when the Holy Spirit first arrived, I too would have been speaking in tongues along with them.  However, nowhere else in the Bible will you find the same thing ever happening again when the text is about someone receiving the Holy Spirit, is there?

The thief on the cross didn't speak in tongues, yet he still got saved and went to heaven.

Nor was he baptised with water, but rather, with the Holy Spirit he received as soon as he knew and believed on Jesus.

Regarding being heard by God during prayer: For our prayers to be honored by God, we must pray in conformance with His Word. As long as our English prayers are in conformance with His Word, then those prayers are honored by Him. However, what does his Word say about tongues?

The guidelines I use for prayer are in Jn.4:24, where Jesus said God is Spirit and we are to worship Him in Spirit, which I do, in the very same manner you claim to do. 

"He who speaks in a tongue builds up himself" (1 Cor 14:4).

All the translations of the Bible I have do not say that, but rather:  "He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophecies edifies the church."  1 Cor.14:4.  NIV.

"Pray at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication"   (Ephesians 6:18).

Indeed, I do, in my own tongue - the English tongue.

"But you, beloved, build yourselves up on your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit"  (Jude verse 20).

There is no other way for the true Christian to pray, other than in the Holy Spirit, as I most certainly do in my own English tongue.

"For one who speaks [prays] in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. . . He who speaks (prays) in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church. Now I want you ALL to speak (pray) in tongues, but even more to prophesy"  (1 Corinthians 14:2–5).

Again, the Bible does not incorporate your parenthetics, but rather, it states the following: "For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God.  Indeed, no one understands him, he utters mysteries with his spirit.  But everyone who prophecies speaks to men for their stregthening encouragement and comfort.  He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophecies edifies the church.  I would like every one or you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you propheciy.  He who prophecies in greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified."  1 Cor.14:2-5.  NIV.

Let me bring the following to your attention:  We do not have any choice as to the gifts the Holy Spirit gives to us.  He does so according to His will  - which without a doubt has everything to do with what He sees our skills and abilities are.  Another point is that to pray in tongues never requires any interpreter, since it is a mater of your talking to God in privacy.

Quasar, according to the above scripture, does Paul want you to pray in tongues?  :o

Paul also said he wished that we all spoke in tongues, didn't he?

"I would like every one of you to speak in tongues..." (1 Cor 15:5).

This was already addressed above.  It is not a choice for any of us to make, but rather, a matter of what gifts the Holy Spirit gives to each of us, as He wills.

Why did Paul say that?  IMO, none of them had Bibles as we do today and to have the gift of speaking in tongues would give a person the ability to carry the Gospel to those of countries other than his own.

Quasar

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:52:08 PM by Quasar »

Offline Catalyst

• Theologyreview.com
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Dallas
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 09:55:07 PM »
And if so, for how long?  :o

I think if you are consciously doing it, or asking for that special gift, the motivation is immediately circumspect.  If it's natural and supposed to happen, you won't be asking, you'll be praying already.  It would be like a skydiver asking, "should I have wind in my hair?"

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter