448 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Description of the Spirit and the Soul  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Description of the Spirit and the Soul
« on: June 26, 2012, 12:22:41 AM »
The spirit and the soul is an issue that is confusing to many - and rightfully so. Because we find in the Bible, that the two terms are only too often interchanged.

For example, in Gen.2:7, man became a living soul [KJV]. But in Ecc.12:7, the spirit returns to God who gave it [KJV].

We know that each of us has a body, soul and spirit, as found in 1 Thes.5:23.

However, there are a few passages of Scripture that help clarify the matter for us, such as the following:
"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Heb.4:12.

With that in mind, it can be understood that the spirit and the soul are an inseparable duo that can only be separated by God.

For a better understanding of it in my opinion, is to understand the soul is the character, personality, emotions and everything that makes each of us a one of a kind person, separate and unique from any other. The very identity for each of us, whether in our natural human bodies or our glorified spiritual bodies. The spirit is the body for the soul, as recorded in 1 Cor.15:44.

The apostle Paul puts it this way: "It is sown a natural body , it is raised a spiritual body." 1 Cor.15:44.

Quasar

"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Re: Description of the Spirit and the Soul
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:20:42 AM »
Elijah brought a boy back to live and his soul returned to him in 1 Kings 17:21-22.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »
I find at least five English Translations of the Bible translated as "life" returned to the boy and an equal number that use the word "soul."  The NASB and the NIV are both among those with "life" while the KJV and the NKJV both have it as "soul."

IMO, the spirit/soul goes to be with Christ immediately, when the bodies of us who belong to Him die, according to 2 Cor.5:8.  "Absent from the body, present with the Lord."  To point out the fact that the soul does not "sleep" when the person dies physically, according to Lk.16:19-31; Rev.6:9-11 and 7:14-17.

When Jesus returns for us, as recorded in Jn.14:2-4 and 28, He will bring with Him all those who previously died in Him since Pentecost in 1 Thes.4:14, confirming 2 Cor.5:8 and Ecc.12:7.  By the same token, for all those who die without Christ, as seen in 1 Pet.3:18-20, the spirit/souls are still very much alive since the days of Noah. 

Ecc.12:7 states that the body returns to the dust/ground where it came from, while the spirit returns to God who gave it, confirming 2 Cor.5:8.  While in Gen.2:7, man became a living "soul," according to the KJV, and a living "being," in the NASB and the NIV.  The point being, with Heb.4:12 in mind, that only God can separate the spirit from the soul, if only the spirit alone returned to God at human physical death, and the soul went with the body to the dust/ground , the identity of that spirit is lost when it returns to God in heaven.

Again, IMO, the soul is who we are as a person.  Our character, emotions, personality and everything that makes us a unique one of a kind person identifying who we are, whether it is in the human body or the spiritual body, as seen in 1 Cor.15:44.

Quasar   

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:32:05 PM by Quasar »
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 06:52:28 PM »
Sometimes we make things harder than they have to be. According to Gen 2:7

Dust + God's Breath = A Living Soul (ie.. a person)

Maybe you weren't trying to do this if so I apologize but it looks like you were trying to compare the word for Spirit int Eccl 12:7 to the word for soul in Gen 2:7 but this can't be done as they are different hebrew words. However, I can also see that maybe you were trying to contrast the terms to point out a difference but it was not clear to me. Sorry.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 10:28:22 AM »
Sometimes we make things harder than they have to be. According to Gen 2:7

Dust + God's Breath = A Living Soul (ie.. a person)

Maybe you weren't trying to do this if so I apologize but it looks like you were trying to compare the word for Spirit int Eccl 12:7 to the word for soul in Gen 2:7 but this can't be done as they are different hebrew words. However, I can also see that maybe you were trying to contrast the terms to point out a difference but it was not clear to me. Sorry.

From my post above, I wrote the following:  "The point being, with Heb.4:12 in mind, that only God can separate the spirit from the soul, if only the spirit alone returned to God at human physical death, and the soul went with the body to the dust/ground , the identity of that spirit is lost when it returns to God in heaven."

No apology necessary.

Quasar

Offline Catalyst

• Theologyreview.com
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Dallas
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 09:57:56 PM »
The spirit and the soul is an issue that is confusing to many - and rightfully so. Because we find in the Bible, that the two terms are only too often interchanged.

For example, in Gen.2:7, man became a living soul [KJV]. But in Ecc.12:7, the spirit returns to God who gave it [KJV].

We know that each of us has a body, soul and spirit, as found in 1 Thes.5:23.

However, there are a few passages of Scripture that help clarify the matter for us, such as the following:
"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Heb.4:12.

With that in mind, it can be understood that the spirit and the soul are an inseparable duo that can only be separated by God.

For a better understanding of it in my opinion, is to understand the soul is the character, personality, emotions and everything that makes each of us a one of a kind person, separate and unique from any other. The very identity for each of us, whether in our natural human bodies or our glorified spiritual bodies. The spirit is the body for the soul, as recorded in 1 Cor.15:44.

The apostle Paul puts it this way: "It is sown a natural body , it is raised a spiritual body." 1 Cor.15:44.

Quasar

Try this....

When you read a verse that says "spirit" and isn't divine spirit, read the verse as if instead of a supernatural thing, it's not a spirit like the spirit of victory, spirit of love, spirit of the cheerleaders, where its not just an emotional driving force sort of spirit.  All but a few could be read that way, and not change anything but the belief that we have a "ghost" like presence.  AND it doesn't change the meaning of the verses either. 

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »
The fact remains, the spirit/soul is an inseparable, integral du that cannot be separated by anyone but God according to Heb.4:12.  God is the invisible Spirit as recorded in Rom.1:20; Jn.1:18 and Col.1:15, and has a soul as documented in Isa.1:14, as we have also.  It is our unique ID whether, human or in our spiritual bodies, as seen in 1 Cor.15:44.

Quasar

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter