346 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Christian or Christ-Follower?  (Read 2556 times)

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
Christian or Christ-Follower?
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:40:04 PM »
I've been reading a little about a movement underway in the Christian subculture that wants to trade in the title "Christian" for that of "Christ-Follower"  

The whole idea is portrayed in a You Tube video series-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RtfNdg1fQk

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has heard about it, and what your opinions are....

Blessings
John O

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Re: Christian or Christ-Follower?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 06:58:06 PM »
No, I haven't heard of the movement, but it definately speaks of my own experience.  Please forgive me for saying this, but I have never liked the term "Christian," possibly because the term has been so abused and misused and misportrayed by the media; and I have seen so many wolves in sheeps clothing who claim to be "Christians" that it disgusts me.  So I always used the term "believer" and never "Christian."  In that context, I fully relate to the new term "Christ-follower."  :amen2:

But the wolves will quickly adopt whatever term is necessary to fit in with the sheep. :rolleyes:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Tom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 10:41:08 PM »
It is the same difference as being religious or spiritual. Religious people are a pain in the (insert word that some folks find offensive). Spiritual people are a pleasure and a blessing to be around.

However, a monkey in a tuxedo is still a monkey and substance is rarely defined or dictated by the term used to describe it.
John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except by me."
Sometimes the Gospel is not presented clearly enough for the non-elect to reject it.

st_michael

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 11:19:41 PM »
Quote from: John Oscar;38230
I've been reading a little about a movement underway in the Christian subculture that wants to trade in the title "Christian" for that of "Christ-Follower"  

The whole idea is portrayed in a You Tube video series-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RtfNdg1fQk

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has heard about it, and what your opinions are....

Blessings

Hmmm... In the big picture... in two thousand years the name Christian has lasted... something tells me whatever this group will call themselves... the name Christian will still outlast us all...

Offline John Oscar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 01:22:38 PM »
As I've researched this, I've found that most people using the Christ-follower label are into meditation....it's a eastern mysticism twist.

Essentially, it's "finding God in the silence".  

People that buy into this are essentially saying anyone can follow Christ.  A Muslim just adds the teachings of Jesus to his or her traditions, a Hindu can add Jesus' teachings to their pantheon of God's, ect.

Bascially, Buddism + Jesus is all it is.

Another twist that the devil is using to draw people away from the true faith....

1 Tim 4:1-2 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars.....NIV
John O

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 11:14:36 AM »
Believe it or not I agree with Tom on this.

Offline John Oscar

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 11:26:53 AM »
Tom has momentary flashes of brilliance…. :D  :D

Just kidding bro…  :lol:
John O

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 12:10:20 PM »
Quote from: Zaph;38242
Quote from: Tom;38234
It is the same difference as being religious or spiritual. Religious people are a pain in the (insert word that some folks find offensive). Spiritual people are a pleasure and a blessing to be around.

However, a monkey in a tuxedo is still a monkey and substance is rarely defined or dictated by the term used to describe it.
Believe it or not I agree with Tom on this.
Stop the presses!!!!! :wub:

We now have a theological unification between Tom & Zaph that will be heralded in by a New [Religious] World Order!!!! :cheer:

heh heh heh :brew:
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter