267 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Three Days and Three Nights  (Read 43602 times)

Offline rstrats

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Re: Three Days and Three Nights
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 07:52:47 AM »
Someone new looking in may know of some writing.

Offline rstrats

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 07:45:52 AM »
Perhaps a slight rewording of the OP will make it a little more clear:

Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion” with 6th day of the week crucifixion proponents, they frequently suggest that it is a common Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows an example from the first century or before regarding a period of time that is said to consist of a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights where the period of time absolutely couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights?

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 03:42:08 PM »
Perhaps a slight rewording of the OP will make it a little more clear:

Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion” with 6th day of the week crucifixion proponents, they frequently suggest that it is a common Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows an example from the first century or before regarding a period of time that is said to consist of a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights where the period of time absolutely couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights?
Since the main objective was for Jesus to rise from the dead, which He did, what is the significance of either argument?
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline rstrats

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »
me again,

re:  "Since the main objective was for Jesus to rise from the dead, which He did, what is the significance of either argument?"

Saved covers that in reply #4. 

Offline rstrats

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »
Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in who thinks the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and who gets around Matthew 12:40 by saying that it is using a common Jewish idiom where 3 nights actually means 2 nights will know of some writing. 

Offline rstrats

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »
I also should have added the phrase "...and who think that the heart of the earth is referring to the tomb..." to the OP.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2014, 12:28:14 AM »
For another view of this, review the following:

http://carm.org/how-long-was-jesus-dead-tomb

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline rstrats

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2014, 07:39:57 AM »
Quaser,

I'm afraid I don't see where the link shows an example from the first century or before regarding a period of time that is said to consist of a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights where the period of time absolutely couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights.   What do you have in mind?

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
IMO, I see Mt.12:40 fulfilled in the following way:

The Hebrew day begins at sunset the day before and fulfills the prophecy:

Wednesday @ sunset = Thursday = 24 hours

Thursday @ sunset = Friday = 24 hours = Passover Sabbath

Friday @ sunset = Saturday =24 hours = seventh day Sabbath

Sunday morning, first day of the week = Jesus resurrected.

Describes Jesus in the tomb for three days abd three nights, confirming Mt.12:40.

Quasar
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:37:58 AM by Quasar »
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Stan

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Friend of Sinners
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://www.theologyreview.com
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »
This topic has split church both local and regional Churches. 

Am having trouble understanding why it is so important..
Courage

Stan

http://www.theologyreview.com

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippian

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2014, 12:05:17 AM »
This topic has split church both local and regional Churches. 

Am having trouble understanding why it is so important..

The church has been split in more ways than there are denominations, as well as the issue of Jesus statement in Mt.12:40, He would be in the earth three days AND three nights.  It has seldom been understood there was TWO Sabbaths the week He was crucified until recently brought to the light.  The fact of the matter is, it is the reason most theologians have seen Friday, as the "day before the Sabbath," they believed Jesus was crucified and died.  Which does not agree with Jesus remarks about Jonah being in the belly of the fish.  The Sabbath the Scriptures were referring to, was the Passover on Thursday, the day after Jesus crucifixion and death.

I'm sure you are as interested in wanting to know and understand the Scriptural truths as we all are.

Quasar 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 12:07:58 AM by Quasar »

Offline rstrats

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2014, 09:36:48 AM »
Someone new looking in may know of some writing.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2014, 12:19:40 AM »
The Sabbath after Jesus died

After Tuesday sunset in 30 A.D. (when the Biblical day ended) Jesus partook of his last meal with his twelve disciples (Luke 22:14-15, etc.). Jesus’ crucifixion occurs between noon and 3pm Wednesday. He dies at 3pm. According to the Bible work was allowed on the day in order to prepare for the NEXT day, a high Holy sabbath day where no work was permitted called the Feast of Unleavened Bread (the first day of the seven-day period). This Holy day began at Wednesday sunset. Jesus was very quickly taken from the cross after his death as there were only a few short hours before God's annual Feast day (Day of Unleavened Bread) began.

"Now evening was coming, and since it was a preparation (that is, the day before a Sabbath), Joseph of Arimathea, an esteemed member of the council, who himself was waiting for the kingdom of God, came; and he went in to Pilate with boldness and requested the body of Jesus. " (Mark 15:42-43, HBFV)

The SECOND Sabbath after Jesus died

The Bible states that after the annual Sabbath known as the Feast of Unleavened Bread had ended (on sunset Thursday), three women went to buy spices for Jesus' body (Mark 16:1). After buying spices for Jesus' body, the women spent the rest of Friday preparing them. When the Saturday Sabbath started at sunset Friday the women rested (Luke 23:56).

After resting Mary Magdalene and another Mary go to observe Jesus' tomb late on the weekly Sabbath:

"Now late on the Sabbath, as the first day of the weeks was drawing near, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to observe the sepulcher." (Matthew 28:1, HBFV)
The resurrection

Some Scriptures speak of Jesus' resurrection "after three days" (Mark 8:31; Matthew 27:63). Other verses say "in three days" (Matthew 26:61, 27:40; Mark 14:58, 15:29; John 2:19-20). Still others speak of "the third day" (Mark 9:31, 10:34; Matthew 16:21, 17:23, 20:19, 27:64; Luke 9:22, 18:33, 24:7, 21, 46; Acts 10:40; 1Corinthians 15:4). Do these phrases contradict each other?

"When we understand Jesus statements, we find that instead of being contradictory, they reveal the exact time that he was raised from the dead. Jesus made it clear that he would be raised AFTER He had been dead for three days. The other statements, "in three days" and "on the third day," do not include the total time that he was dead but only the time that he was buried in the tomb. The Gospel accounts show that Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus closed the tomb just before sunset, three hours after Jesus died on the cross. Although he was in the tomb for EXACTLY three days and three nights (seventy-two hours), He was dead for a longer period than that. Thus He rose from the dead "after three days."

The difference between this statement and the statements "in three days" and "on the third day" is that these two statement refer to His burial "in the heart of the earth 3 days and 3 nights." " (The Day Jesus the Christ Died by F. Coulter, Chapter 6, emphasis added)

The resurrection of Jesus from the dead took place at sunset Saturday, April 8, 30 A.D., which is seventy-two hours after he died and was place in the heart of the earth (i.e. tomb). This fulfilled the sign of Jonah the prophet he gave in Matthew 12:38-40 and PROVED He was the TRUE Messiah to the Jews!

The Bible simply does not teach Jesus was either crucified on a Friday or resurrected on a Sunday morning. Our Savior was dead and buried in the earth a full three days and three nights, proving for all ages that he was and is the Messiah.

For the complete article: 

http://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/was-jesus-in-the-grave-for-three-days-and-nights.html

Quasar
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 12:23:19 AM by Quasar »

Offline rstrats

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 09:44:19 AM »
Someone new looking in who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and who tries to get around Matthew 12:40 by saying that is is using common first century idiomatic language may know of some writing. 

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2014, 11:36:08 AM »
IMO, I see Mt.12:40 fulfilled in the following way:

The Hebrew day begins at sunset the day before and fulfills the prophecy:

Wednesday @ sunset = Thursday = 24 hours

Thursday @ sunset = Friday = 24 hours = Passover Sabbath

Friday @ sunset = Saturday =24 hours = seventh day Sabbath

Sunday morning, first day of the week = Jesus resurrected.

Describes Jesus in the tomb for three days abd three nights, confirming Mt.12:40.

Quasar
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:42:28 AM by Quasar »

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter