434 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Do you fast for God?  (Read 3920 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Do you fast for God?
« on: November 19, 2012, 06:30:37 PM »
In the KJV bible, "afflict your souls" reportedly means fasting.

Jesus said in Matthew 6:16, "When you fast..." which indicates an expectation that His disciples WILL fast.

Do you fast for God? Why or why not? Have you had any victories from fasting?
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do you fast for God?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:42:38 AM »
In the KJV bible, "afflict your souls" reportedly means fasting.

Fasting is where the rubber meets the road. When all else fails....
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 03:48:52 PM »
My fiancée says there are three spiritual legs to the religious stool:

1. Prayer (Matt. 6:5-15)

2. Alms-giving (Matt. 6:2-4)

3. Fasting (Matt. 6:16-18)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 08:28:52 AM »
When all else fails, fast!  :o

I started experimenting with fasting for the first time, strictly for religious reasons, such as to get spiritual power or to get a spiritual breakthrough.

Fast Duration

I had never fasted before, so I tried a 3-day fast, which was too long. I can't go that long without eating. I get too weak. A 2-day fast is also too long for me, although I can barely do it. A one-day fast is easy (basically), so that's what I'm doing. I never fast for more than one day, although I certainly would try if the Holy Spirit prompted me to.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 08:30:26 AM by me again »

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »
Frankly, I've never felt compelled to fast beyond what I believe prayer does, which I can honestly testify to you, does indeed work.

Was your experiment successful, and was it something you had prayed over previously, or what?

Did you also throw dust and ashes over your head and dress in sack cloth?   ;)  [I'm kidding you, of course!]

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 08:16:07 PM »
Frankly, I've never felt compelled to fast beyond what I believe prayer does, which I can honestly testify to you, does indeed work.

For me, fasting is a last resort. It's the only thing I've never tried. I never felt compelled to fast, until recently.

Was your experiment successful, and was it something you had prayed over previously, or what?

The jury is still out on how successful it will be. I've dedicated the fast to the Lord, of course, to accomplish several things (a list). I will probably do it for the rest of my life. It's just kind of nice to say "enough!!!"

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
Whatever works best between you and our Lord!  Go for it!

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 08:56:38 AM »
I've only met one person who engages in fasting, but it's only a partial fast, like giving up candy (or something else that she likes) for a limited time period during Lent. That's the Catholic tradition. The Adventists have a modified diet, such as being a vegetarian, but not a fast per se. I've never heard other denominational leaders preach on fasting. Most of the fasting I've been able to find on the internet deals primarily with dieting and not spiritual enrichment. It's a lost art in the west and in our well-fed society. It's a foreign term, so it's hard to get feedback from people who are familiar with doing it to learn of their experiences. John Wesley (1703-1791) was the founder of Methodism and he fasted every Wednesday and Friday; he would not ordain anyone into Methodism who wasn't willing to fast as he did. That's an example of a long-lost art that isn't preached about today. Look at the power that Methodism had (at one time).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 10:28:47 AM by me again »

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 10:33:48 AM »
The Catholics call that period of time "Lent," which as best of my knowledge is a period of time just prior to Easter.

Dr. Charles Stanley, So. Baptist, Atlanta has preached on fasting as an action to take for the most serious of issues we plead to the Lord to take for us.

Quasar

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 04:37:44 PM »
I'm only doing one-day fasts, not more than 24-36 hours (no more then that), either one, two or three days a week (Monday, Wednesday and/or Friday).  It's been over three weeks now.

Here are some initial observations:
- Greater mental clarity. Mental cobwebs have completely disappeared.
- More energy. Greater endurance. More strength (surprisingly). Less lethargy.
- Afternoon slumps completely disappeared. No tiredness.
- Hunger pangs occur occasionally, usually later in day, but it's not bad at all.
- Weight initially stayed the same, but waist size seems to be reducing quite a bit.
- Lower body temperature on fast days, but body heat returns on non-fast days.

Initially, recovery on the non-fast days was extremely difficult. The day after a fast, I felt weak and lethargic, so I improved my diet by increasing better nutrition. I've discovered that on non-fast days, nutrition is extremely important to ensure a quick physical recovery. A poor diet delays recovery, while good nutrition aids in a faster recovery. Drinking fresh vegetable juice at least three times weekly and eating olive oil liberally and sardines (for the omega 3) seems to expedite recovery from fasting. My non-fast recovery days are now very easy (compared to when I first began).

That's my experience, so far.  ???
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:48:19 PM by me again »

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 10:51:18 PM »
As a side comment, and warning, be very careful in the interest of your health.  Though this has nothing to do with an actual effort to fast.

When I was a young man in my early 30s, my weight topped out at 205 for a 5' 11" frame and I took to a diligent protein diet.  I successfully dropped my weight to 175.  However, it took a toll on my health as I ended up by easily catching virus bugs during the course of the effort three times in one year.

Don't be misled that your energy will increase if you continue fasting over a period of a year.  Off and on, of course.  To the contrary, you will lose it rather than gain it.

Quasar     

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 10:36:59 AM »
As a side comment, and warning, be very careful in the interest of your health.  Though this has nothing to do with an actual effort to fast.

When I was a young man in my early 30s, my weight topped out at 205 for a 5' 11" frame and I took to a diligent protein diet.  I successfully dropped my weight to 175.  However, it took a toll on my health as I ended up by easily catching virus bugs during the course of the effort three times in one year.

I don't have enough self-discipline to fast for weight loss. If that were my motive, then I could not do it because it's not a valid motivating factor. However, I do have enough self-discipline to fast for the Lord Jesus, with a motive to seek His will, His purpose and His power in my life. Fasting is the one thing I've never tried.

Don't be misled that your energy will increase if you continue fasting over a period of a year.  Off and on, of course.  To the contrary, you will lose it rather than gain it.

This is all exploratory, so I'm not sure what the future holds!

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 12:02:03 AM »
My point was intended as a focus on what happens when not eating food to support the needs of our body.  Not for losing weight.  Which naturally weakens a person physically as well as in their immunity system as well,  Which places a person in danger of picking up viruses they would not have done, had they not weakened their systems from lack of sufficient food.

Quasar

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 09:41:01 AM »
My point was intended as a focus on what happens when not eating food to support the needs of our body.  Not for losing weight.  Which naturally weakens a person physically as well as in their immunity system as well,  Which places a person in danger of picking up viruses they would not have done, had they not weakened their systems from lack of sufficient food.

Point well taken. I manage to eat enough on my non-fast days so that my weight should remain stable, for the most part, although my waist is surprisingly shrinking.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 06:33:59 PM »
One of the most difficult parts of fasting was learning how to go to bed and sleep after having fasted all day. I think I've finally mastered that and can sleep well now.  :o

I also experience euphoria the day after a fast, prior to eating breakfast.  :D

Again, all of this is exploratory.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter