504 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: What Do Mormons Believe:  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
What Do Mormons Believe:
« on: November 26, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »
What Do Mormons Believe:

1. Divine Authority
The Mormon church uses two sources as its primary authorities: the Book of Mormon and the Bible. The Doctrine and Covenants and The Pearl of Great Price are also viewed as divinely authoritative.

1.Born again Christians believe: The Word of God, the Holy Bible

2. The Nature of God
The Mormon church sees God as the Supreme Being of the universe. However, He gradually acquired that position over a long period of time by living a perfect and righteous life. God the Father has a body (flesh and bones).

2. Born again Christians believe:
Almighty God is infinitely eternal with no beginning nor ending and is an invisible Spirit, according to Isa.43:10; Jn.1:18; Rom.1:20 and Col.1:15.

3. The Nature of Man
The Mormon church teaches that humans exist as spirit beings before their birth. At physical birth, bodies are given to these spirits. They are also given an opportunity for free-will choice. The physical world represents a period of probation. The status of a person in the afterlife is determined by the way that person lived his/her life on Earth. If the person lived by a satisfactory standard, (including the fulfillment of Mormon temple obligations) that person has the potential to become a god in the after-life. The person can also produce "spirit children" to populate a world of his own (like God did with the earth).

3. Born again Christians believe:
Humans do not exist as spirits prior to being born into the world. Humans cannot attain godhood or populate other worlds with "spirit children." Review: Ecc.12:7 and Heb.9:27.

4. The Nature of Jesus Christ
The Mormon church views Jesus and Satan as spirit brothers and sons of God. God put forth His plan of salvation for the world, and Satan proposed his own plan. Jesus accepted the Father's plan and offered to implement it as the Savior. The Father chose Jesus, and the spirit of Jesus was given a body through the virgin Mary. He was crucified on a Roman cross, and rose from the dead three days later to establish His deity. The character and life of Jesus is attainable by anyone who performs at such a righteous level.

4. Born again Christians believe:
The Bible teaches that Jesus Christ has existed as the firstborn over all creation(Pr.8:22-36; Colossians 1:15 John 1:1-2). He became the human incarnate human Jesus and the Son of God when the Holy Spirit produced Him by the virgin Mary(Mt.1:20 and Lk.1:31, 35 & Heb.10:5) He was crucified on a Roman cross and paid all of our sin debts in full, in our place(Jn.19:17 and Jn.1:29).

5. How do we Achieve Salvation
The Mormon church holds that Jesus Christ overcame physical death and guaranteed physical resurrection to all mankind. However, spiritual death can only be avoided through personal obedience of God's commandments.8 Forgiveness of sins requires faith, repentance and baptism by an approved Mormon priest. The practice of baptism for the dead is an extension of this belief, in which Mormons are baptized in proxy for those who have died without proper baptism.

5. Born again Christians believe:
The Bible teaches that we are unable to live a life righteous enough to meet God's perfectly holy standard (Romans 3:23; 6:23). Therefore, we establish a relationship with God by faith and belief in the work of Christ on the cross, not by our own works (Jn.3:16; Rom.10:9-10; Eph.1:13-14 & 2:8-9; Titus 3:5).

6. Life After Death
The Mormon church maintains that although there is temporary punishment for those that are most wicked, Jesus Christ will establish a new kingdom that will consist of three levels: the celestial kingdom, the terrestrial kingdom, and the telestial kingdom.

6.Born again Christians believe:
The Bible teaches that there are only two possible fates after death, heaven or hell. These locations are final, both physically and spiritually (Jn.3:16 & 3:18 and Mt. 25:41 & 46).

Quasar
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:46:22 PM by Quasar »
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Re: What Do Mormons Believe:
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »
Some of the Mormon doctrinal beliefs that are posted here are doctrinally far from mainline Christian teachings.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Re: What Do Mormons Believe:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:49:06 PM »
They are indeed and there are many more.  I failed to number those I posted of them as compared to our opposing Christian views.  So I just finished editing them in.  Hope that helps.

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter