686 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: What about public prayer?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
What about public prayer?
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:53:05 AM »
When would you say public prayer is in order and when it isn't? For example in the following:

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him." Mt.6:5-8 NIV.

What are your thoughts about praying in public places such as asking the Lords blessing over lunch or dinner in public restaurants, etc.

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Re: What about public prayer?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 03:40:19 PM »
If I'm in concert with fellow believers, then praying in public over a meal is fine because I want those at the table and the food to be blessed.  It's not about a show, but it's about giving and receiving a blessing. If I'm the only believer at a table, then I'll pray silently, so as to not attract attention.

Even in Jesus day, there were certain kinds of "public prayers" that were acceptable and weren't showing off.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
We're pretty much on the same page with a brief qiet prayer prior to a meal.  In fact, even when I'm alone, it is a regular procedure of mine.  However, I have suffered through those times when the person asked to pray for a group of us prior to our meal, it has been a long winded needless experience.

I can only speak for myself, as I do not believe in praying in public places, unless it is in a specific meeting of Christians who are in any place where they can be held privately, including churches, revivals. With the exception of a quiet brief prayer for those critically ill in hospitals, serious accidents, those near death, funerals and in restaurants. Otherwise IMO, it seems to border on self righteousness.

Quasar 
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:18:46 AM »
We're pretty much on the same page with a brief qiet prayer prior to a meal.  In fact, even when I'm alone, it is a regular procedure of mine.  However, I have suffered through those times when the person asked to pray for a group of us prior to our meal, it has been a long winded needless experience.

I can only speak for myself, as I do not believe in praying in public places, unless it is in a specific meeting of Christians who are in any place where they can be held privately, including churches, revivals. With the exception of a quiet brief prayer for those critically ill in hospitals, serious accidents, those near death, funerals and in restaurants. Otherwise IMO, it seems to border on self righteousness.

Here is the prayer I say:

"Bless us oh Lord and these thy gifts, which we are about to receive from thy bounty, through Christ our Lord."

It's a good prayer because it blesses the people, as well as the gifts (food). We have the power to bless with our words, so we should exercise that power!!!

Regarding public prayer: If you pray it from your heart, then it's holy!!! God knows the thoughts and intents of our hearts.  :D
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 11:52:15 AM »
I'm in agreement with you on that.  I fully believe any prayer that is fully thought processed and unspoken to the Lord is every bit as effective as though it had been spoken aloud.

Quasar

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter