280 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Are we "little gods"?  (Read 2722 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Are we "little gods"?
« on: January 22, 2013, 06:42:29 PM »
The following comes from the Roman Catholic Catechism:

Quote from: Paragraph 460
The Word became flesh to make us “partakers of the divine nature” (2 Pet 1:4).

“For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God.” 

“For the Son of God became man so that we might become God.” 

“The only–begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods.”

Source: http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm#  :o
(type in 460 into the search engine in the upper left corner to read it)

Are born again Christians destined to become "little gods" (with a little g)? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:44:11 PM by me again »
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Re: Are we "little gods"?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
Which brings to mind Rom.8:30 and Eph.2:6-7.  IMO, we can better be seen as brothers to our "Elder Brother," Jesus Christ. 

As John wrote in 1:12-13, where we have the right to be called "sons" [children] of God, as well as in 1 Jn.3:2.  Thus we are already sons of God, but we will never become Gods!

Quasar 
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:25:45 PM »
What did Jesus mean in John 10:34 when He said:

"Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?"

He was quoting Psalms 82:6:

"I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High."
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 12:20:16 AM »
That is a Scriptural fact, however, I was responding to the remark from your OP: "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God.”  From which I stated, "...we will never become God,s" not gods.

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:42:13 AM »
That is a Scriptural fact, however, I was responding to the remark from your OP: "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God.”  From which I stated, "...we will never become God,s" not gods.

Do you think we will become little gods, with a little g, based on what Jesus said? What does the scripture mean when it says that we are gods (with a little g)?

Only humans can imagine things (use the imagination) and exercise faith. Animals cannot. Becoming "little gods" probably has something to do with that.

This is a very uncomfortable subject for many Christians. LOL  :o

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:21:32 AM »
As addressed in my last post, it is a Scriptural fact:  That Jesus said we are gods.  I don't find the term "little" in it though.  I also addressed the fact we would never become Gods, as documented in Isa.43:10 and 45:5.

It is indeed a sore subject with many Christians because of the claims by both Mormons and the JWs.  The Mormons claim they will all become gods when they do sufficient works during their lives to become one.  While the JWs reject Jesus divinity, with alterations in their Bible, Jesus was "another god," as such in Jn.1:1-2.

So for Christians to admit Jesus statement in Jn.10.34 has them talking to themselves due to the above.

Quasar

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter