370 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: The Church and Gun Control  (Read 3689 times)

Offline The Crusader

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
The Church and Gun Control
« on: April 18, 2013, 12:49:42 PM »

(I realize this is a hot topic right now. I also realize that many readers hold a variety of views. But unlike many posts and articles I’ve read recently, this is not an attempt at commentary or political positioning. I intend to put forward a Biblically-based approach. Sometimes, no matter what you intend, people receive what you write the wrong way. For this I apologize in advance for my failure to communicate clearly.)

(2 Timothy 1:7)  ”For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

Just in the last week there have been events of enormous significance. The gun control argument is once again in the headlines as the U.S. Senate decided against a bill yesterday.  Most of us probably know about recent tragic bombing in Boston (and we pray for those victims and those responsible would be captured and brought to justice). Even in what we call “modern times”, we see plague, famine, war and incomprehensible crimes against humanity. There is a lot to be afraid of in the world. But what kind of mindset and lifestyle does God call us to live?

From Paul’s day all the way down to our own times those who speak the name of Christ have been persecuted under oppressive regimes. Paul’s letters to Timothy are addressed to a young pastor who suffers persecution. Yet there is encouragement to gain spiritual strength in the calling rather than be drained of the motive and motivation to preach. We can all take away the intent of this epistle and apply it to our own thinking. The focus is not on those who want to do harm but rather the focus is on ministry and calling. Giving in to a mindset of fear and focusing on those things that are meant to cause it drains the life and power out of what God intends for us to be in this life.

We should step back once in awhile and examine our own lifestyle to determine the motivations and basis on which we live. Is my lifestyle and focus in life around those things that cause me to be afraid? Is the message I communicate with others born out of fear? Are my words aligned with the gospel or are they aligned with a focus on the world? As we apply this mindset to the position of gun control, we should ask ourselves – Is my position on gun control based on fear or is it based on common sense and a desire for something positive?

Regardless of how you come down on the issue, the Bible gives us God’s position on the mindset and motivation for living in a violent world. The Church has always existed in this type of world. Ultimately, fear is an individual issue. You must determine whether fear or faith will determine your lifestyle and life decisions. As goes the individual…so goes the Church.
"...to make all men see"(Ephesians 3:9)

We don't change God's message -- His message changes us.

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://www.gerald285.com
Re: The Church and Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 08:38:17 PM »

(I realize this is a hot topic right now. I also realize that many readers hold a variety of views. But unlike many posts and articles I’ve read recently, this is not an attempt at commentary or political positioning. I intend to put forward a Biblically-based approach. Sometimes, no matter what you intend, people receive what you write the wrong way. For this I apologize in advance for my failure to communicate clearly.)

(2 Timothy 1:7)  ”For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

Just in the last week there have been events of enormous significance. The gun control argument is once again in the headlines as the U.S. Senate decided against a bill yesterday.  Most of us probably know about recent tragic bombing in Boston (and we pray for those victims and those responsible would be captured and brought to justice). Even in what we call “modern times”, we see plague, famine, war and incomprehensible crimes against humanity. There is a lot to be afraid of in the world. But what kind of mindset and lifestyle does God call us to live?

From Paul’s day all the way down to our own times those who speak the name of Christ have been persecuted under oppressive regimes. Paul’s letters to Timothy are addressed to a young pastor who suffers persecution. Yet there is encouragement to gain spiritual strength in the calling rather than be drained of the motive and motivation to preach. We can all take away the intent of this epistle and apply it to our own thinking. The focus is not on those who want to do harm but rather the focus is on ministry and calling. Giving in to a mindset of fear and focusing on those things that are meant to cause it drains the life and power out of what God intends for us to be in this life.

We should step back once in awhile and examine our own lifestyle to determine the motivations and basis on which we live. Is my lifestyle and focus in life around those things that cause me to be afraid? Is the message I communicate with others born out of fear? Are my words aligned with the gospel or are they aligned with a focus on the world? As we apply this mindset to the position of gun control, we should ask ourselves – Is my position on gun control based on fear or is it based on common sense and a desire for something positive?

Regardless of how you come down on the issue, the Bible gives us God’s position on the mindset and motivation for living in a violent world. The Church has always existed in this type of world. Ultimately, fear is an individual issue. You must determine whether fear or faith will determine your lifestyle and life decisions. As goes the individual…so goes the Church.

How does this have anything to do with your topic "The church and gun control?" What does gun control have to do with this?
Isaiah 48:18,Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.

Offline The Crusader

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 02:21:44 PM »
How does this have anything to do with your topic "The church and gun control?" What does gun control have to do with this?

Now that's a silly question from a silly guy. It is way over your head SAVED  8)

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »
Now that's a silly question from a silly guy. It is way over your head SAVED  8)
It is only silly to someone like yourself who makes really dumb statements and when called on them is not able to answer the questions posed.
Isaiah 48:18,Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.

Offline The Crusader

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 06:27:28 PM »
It is only silly to someone like yourself who makes really dumb statements and when called on them is not able to answer the questions posed.

and your goofy  8)

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 10:05:18 PM »
and your goofy  8)

But you still cannot explain what you said.

Offline The Crusader

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 01:40:59 PM »
But you still cannot explain what you said.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
So you were just babbling.

Offline The Crusader

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
I do know this...Mankind prefer the watered down Gospel..They want the emotional..for the moment feel good..Then after that passes ..what next.....Man is depraved today...Believing another Gospel..They do not want Christs Provision Alone..The want Faith Plus works...They want to be in charge of what the Believe he requires today(Its all about I will, I will, I will..They want to perform, they want to feel they have earned their position..They will not Trust Christ Alone..It is a sad sad day..

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 06:38:36 PM »
I do know this...Mankind prefer the watered down Gospel..They want the emotional..for the moment feel good..Then after that passes ..what next.....Man is depraved today...Believing another Gospel..They do not want Christs Provision Alone..The want Faith Plus works...They want to be in charge of what the Believe he requires today(Its all about I will, I will, I will..They want to perform, they want to feel they have earned their position..They will not Trust Christ Alone..It is a sad sad day..
I agree that some do preach works, but also true is that others preach easy believism which is just a damning and any message that reject repentance is easy believism. Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Offline The Crusader

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 06:39:45 PM »

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 08:10:51 PM »
I agree that some do preach works, but also true is that others preach easy believism which is just a damning and any message that reject repentance is easy believism. Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Offline The Crusader

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 03:02:38 PM »
I'm so glad salvation is based on what Christ did! I'm glad my future is based on His Promises! Wow, that makes for alota things to be thankful for!

Offline saved

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 02:00:06 PM »
I'm so glad salvation is based on what Christ did! I'm glad my future is based on His Promises! Wow, that makes for alota things to be thankful for!
It is ours for free if we will repent and believe.

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 11:46:18 PM »
So....me preaching/teaching/leading prayer this evening with a 9mm pistol in a concealed carry holster on my right hip was bad???

If I keep it without a round chambered, does that matter? (not that I would, but I do have a manual safety)

Does my spare magazine make it worse?  If 18 bullets (17+1) is ok, then the extra clip brings it to 35....is that then sin?

I carry hollowpoints....is that more evil then roundball?

I'm not sure what your opinion is....
John O

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter