265 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: What does the Hebrew “yom” mean in Genesis 1 ?  (Read 7200 times)

Offline Stan

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Friend of Sinners
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://www.theologyreview.com
Re: What does the Hebrew “yom” mean in Genesis 1 ?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 10:19:25 AM »
the 1000 days as a day.... is an expression nothing more...
Courage

Stan

http://www.theologyreview.com

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippian

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »
I couldn't agree more. David could have just as easily said that a trillion years is as one day with the Lord since the Lord is eternal. We need to be careful we don't lift things out of context and apply them where they don't belong.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
The fact of the matter is, Peter did give clear evidence to an age prior to the one we live in now.  Review 2 Pet.3:5-6:

"But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water.  BY THESE WATER ALSO THE WORLD OF THAT TIME WAS DELUGED AND DESTROYED."

Those waters were not from the flood of Noah, but rather, from the global flood the earth stood in as recorded in Gen.1:2.  The earth has had two global floods we know of from the Bible.

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 07:25:23 PM »
Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Quasar, I simply do not see a flood in this statement. It's only stating a fact of what the was there before this earth was created. We were not there nor did God give us any more details other than what is stated. To me to state otherwise for this verse would be trying to interject man's idea of science into the Bible. There are some things that we simply are not told and it's extremely dangerous to speculate.

Deu_29:29  The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

I might even agree with you that the verses by Peter that you quoted is talking about the state of the earth before God started to create but the next verse was simply talking about Noah's flood. Something can't be destroyed that didn't exist. He was talking about belief and order of how things happened.

Speaking of belief. My biggest problem with this is that people who believe that there was life either developing over thousands/millions of years before Adam and Eve or that there were people before Adam and Eve have created a situation where death existed before sin entered the world. It's only by sin death entered this world.

I simply believe the prophets like Christ said we should. Even Christ Himself believed the prophets and Moses being a prophet said that God created them male and female and Paul tells me that it was by Adam's sin that death made an appearance. 

Luk 24:25  Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

Joh 5:46  For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. [/i]
Joh 5:47  But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?
[/i]
Mar 10:6  But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 08:55:02 PM by Zaph »

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
Hates the gap theory.  It puts death, destruction, and judgment before the fall of man.
John O

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 01:03:21 AM »
Quote from: Zaph
I simply do not see a flood in this statement. It's only stating a fact of what the was there before this earth was created. We were not there nor did God give us any more details other than what is stated. To me to state otherwise for this verse would be trying to interject man's idea of science into the Bible. There are some things that we simply are not told and it's extremely dangerous to speculate.

The following clearly illustrates God was hovering over the waters He began the six day restoration/creation from:

"Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."  Gen.1:2 NIV.

"For He founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the waters."  Ps.24:2 NIV.

"But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water." 2 Pet.3:5 NIV.

There is no question at all God restored/created the present age status of the earth from a global flood, from the above Scriptures.

The following has pretty much already been pointed out regarding the earth being very old. That you don't accept it, does not alter the preponderance of evidence that it is. It does not alter a single thing pertaining to God creating it in any way, other than much longer ago than some who simply don't want to accept it. 

The fact of the matter is, Peter did give clear evidence to an age prior to the one we live in now.  Review 2 Pet.3:5-6:

"But they deliberately forget that long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water.  BY THESE WATER ALSO THE WORLD OF THAT TIME WAS DELUGED AND DESTROYED."  2 Pet.3:5-6 NIV.

Those waters were not from the flood of Noah, but rather, from the global flood the earth stood in as recorded in Gen.1:2.  The earth has had two global floods we know of from the Bible.

http://hope-of-israel.org/lifeadam.htm

Quasar
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:53:34 AM by Quasar »
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 08:20:04 PM »
The facts are that we were not there. I simply choose to take the Bible as it reads. It doesn't say that there was flood in Gen. 1:2 It just simply says that the Holy Spirit moved upon the face of the waters. We don't know how the waters came to be or why it was there.

Here is where we differ. Because I only take the Bible as it reads I believe that Peter was talking about Noah's flood.

Now, I could be wrong so please don't let me put works in your mouth but it appears to me that you've looked at the so called evidence from scientists and believing that what they say is truth you make the Bible to fit it rather than rejecting what doesn't agree with the Bible.

Again... you've put death and destruction before sin. My Bible tells me that death is a result of sin.

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 12:26:06 AM »
The facts are that we were not there. I simply choose to take the Bible as it reads. It doesn't say that there was flood in Gen. 1:2 It just simply says that the Holy Spirit moved upon the face of the waters. We don't know how the waters came to be or why it was there.

Here is where we differ. Because I only take the Bible as it reads I believe that Peter was talking about Noah's flood.

Now, I could be wrong so please don't let me put works in your mouth but it appears to me that you've looked at the so called evidence from scientists and believing that what they say is truth you make the Bible to fit it rather than rejecting what doesn't agree with the Bible.

Again... you've put death and destruction before sin. My Bible tells me that death is a result of sin.

We weren't there when Jesus was resurrected either!  Do you believe that He was because of that or not?  The Scriptural facts that the earth stood in a global flood which was the destruction of it before God began the six day creation narrative in Gen.1, is in the post above your last post.  That you reject it for the reasons you give, don't negate any of them!

No, I don't put death and destruction before sin!  The Bible reveals there was life on the earth in a previous age that has nothing whatever to do with cause and effect of this age!

Quasar
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:27:55 AM by Quasar »

JoeBaade

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 05:41:08 AM »
There is one thing that is consistent with false teachers and that is they always reject the clear teaching of the bible.  No one ever sat down and read the creation account for the first time and came away with the understanding of long periods of time for creation.
God makes it abundantly clear that the period of time is equivalent to a solar day when he uses the term "evening and morning." Also in the account plants are created before the sun and long periods of time would make it impossible for them to survive long periods while one solar panels time would be no problem. Now while we cannot be dogmatic as to how long ago this all happened, the 6 literal days of creation, we can narrow it down to between 6 and 10 thousand years based on the genealogy given in scripture.

There is no clear information on this..You can have long discussion on solar days without any final outcome.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:10:11 AM by JoeBaade »

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 12:27:10 PM »
For those of you who have affirmed you take all that you learn from the Bible are doing nothing but playing games with yourselves.  Because you are literally only believing what you want to believe and rejecting what you do not want to believe of it.

The Bible states God created the earth out of water, recorded in Ps.24:2 and 2 Pet.3:5.  In Gen.1:2 the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters, as translated by the NIV.

A person has to be purposely blind to the Scriptures to deny the earth was standing in a global flood, prior to the six days of creation narrative.

In Pr.8:24 reveals the earth stood without oceans at all, at one time, and will again. when God provides us with a new heaven and earth, according to Rev.21:1.

Quasar

The second global flood of Noah's time, 1,656 years later, is recorded in Gen.7:6-20.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »
Time is artificial and is created by God. In heaven, there is no time. Here on earth, the closest we can come to understanding that concept is by "bending time."

To create time, God "stretched out the heavens like a curtain" (Is. 40:22b). There is also coming a time when the heavens will be scrolled back (Rev. 6:14a) when time (as we know it) comes to an end (Rev. 10:6).

God created time and He is not subject to it, except when He subjected Himself to it when he walked the earth as Jesus. That's my understanding.  ;D
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 11:55:10 AM »
Just for clarification: Albert Einstein talked about the bending of time and space.  :o
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 05:01:35 PM »
We need like buttons like Facebook has  :P
John O

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »
There is also coming a time when the heavens will be scrolled back (Rev. 6:14a) when time (as we know it) comes to an end (Rev. 10:6).

God created time and He is not subject to it, except when He subjected Himself to it when he walked the earth as Jesus. That's my understanding.  ;D

There was a time (no pun intended :) ) when I would have agreed with you. My thoughts more or less aligned with yours. Why would an eternal God need time? It didn't make sense to me and I still dont completely understand it. However, believe time will be still be counted in the earth made new. Why you might ask? Well I'm glad you did.

Back when things on this earth were perfect, back when sin had not yet entered the minds of Adam and Eve. There was time.

Gen 1:14  And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

And we also know that we will still be counting days and months. Here is Isaiah talking about the earth made new again...

Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
Isa 66:23  And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

It's kind of hard to know when there is a new moon or the next Sabbath without being able to determine time. Does God need time? Would we even time in a universe made new where there is no death? I don't have answer all I can do is read the Bible and it says that there will be new moons and Sabbaths. What I do know is the following...

Deu 29:29  The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 06:47:39 PM by Zaph »

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter