382 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: ...snake handlers...  (Read 2234 times)

Offline The Crusader

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
...snake handlers...
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:05:45 PM »
Wrongly dividing the Word is rough on snake handlers. The bad thing is that the world is laughing at him and the word of God. It is just as bad to try to follow Israel's so-called great commission with it's signs following and water baptism for remission of sins, sell all, cast out demons, drink any deadly thing, kingdom gospel etc., etc. Kind of like believing in Al Gore's global warming.
"...to make all men see"(Ephesians 3:9)

We don't change God's message -- His message changes us.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Re: ...snake handlers...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:49:04 PM »
I was born a snake handler...

... and I'll die a snake handler.  :o

LOL JK :)
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 12:17:24 AM »
In MK.16:18, it states they will pick up snakes with their bare hands; but the more reliable early mss and other ancient witnesses do not have Mk.16:9-20!  A notation almost every reliable Bible has, at that spot in them.

Quasar   
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 09:47:47 PM »
In MK.16:18, it states they will pick up snakes with their bare hands; but the more reliable early mss and other ancient witnesses do not have Mk.16:9-20!  A notation almost every reliable Bible has, at that spot in them.

Are snakes and serpents metaphoric references to the devil and demons?
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 12:16:45 AM »
Are snakes and serpents metaphoric references to the devil and demons?

Not according to the Scriptures, nor IMO.

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 11:09:49 AM »

Not according to the Scriptures, nor IMO.

Quasar

Well, there was a case where St. Paul got bit by a snake, but he didn't die. Hummm....

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 12:36:03 AM »
Well, there was a case where St. Paul got bit by a snake, but he didn't die. Hummm....

That's true, but it does not imply anything pertaining to the presence of the devil or demons.

Quasar

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 04:17:10 PM »
Mark 16:18 could of have been a reference to Paul's incident with the snake scared out of the fire.  It was just describing an event, not prescribing a method of worship.
John O

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 06:43:26 PM »
It was just describing an event, not prescribing a method of worship.

In the context of the surrounding passage that is how I understand it. While fulfilling the great commission to preach the Word they would not be harmed.

If these snake handlers were to use the same reasoning with the whole text then they should also be drinking poison and not dying. How many of them are willing to do that?

In my mind this all falls under presumption. Presumption is satan's counterfeit to real faith. This is what the devil tempted Christ with when he asked Jesus to jump. Jesus didn't go looking for trouble. If you're following the Lord the world hate you and you won't have to find trouble because it will find you.

One last thought... if you have to do something to show everyone else that you have faith I'll make an educated guess that you don't really have faith.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter