266 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: We cannot take our spiritual gifts to heaven...  (Read 2538 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
We cannot take our spiritual gifts to heaven...
« on: May 10, 2014, 02:37:55 PM »
I was listening to a preacher named Larry Randolph talk and he said that we cannot take our gifts to heaven, but we can only take our heart.

Gifts are based on 1 Corinthians 12:4-11:
  • utterance of wisdom
  • utterance of knowledge
  • faith
  • gifts of healing
  • working of miracles
  • prophecy
  • discernment of spirits
  • tongues
  • interpretation of tongues
As proof, he quoted the scripture where some people will say to Jesus, "Did we not cast out demons in your name?" (a gift) and "Did we not heal the sick in your name?" (another gift), but the Lord will say to them, "Depart from me you workers of iniquity: I never knew you." (scarey words).

Our heart is our state of mind i.e. in a state of forgiveness as we forgive others i.e. forgiveness, bitterness and strife are states of the heart and will not be allowed to enter heaven. "For with the heart, man believes unto righteousness..." (Rom. 10:10).

So anyways, we take our heart to heaven, but not our gifts.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline John Oscar

• Bondservant of the Lord
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • Whitehall Assembly
Re: We cannot take our spiritual gifts to heaven...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 05:43:43 AM »
I think he is being hyper-literal and I can't think of a spiritual or biblical reason to make this distinction...well, perhaps someone who is hyper-charismatic to the point of worshiping their gifts from God instead of the giver of the gifts.

When we are in heaven, we have no need for the gifts- "For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."
John O

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:36:21 AM »
Whether we take our gifts to Heaven or not doesn't really matter since as John said there will be no need of them.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:55:40 AM »
...perhaps someone who is hyper-charismatic to the point of worshiping their gifts...

Yes, in a roundabout way, that appears to be the distinction that he made. The gifts CANNOT get us into heaven e.g. Jesus said "depart from me you workers of iniquity" to the people who healed the sick in his name (a gift) and did other amazing miracles in His name, BUT their heart wasn't right with Him and He never knew them.

When we are in heaven, we have no need for the gifts- "For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

Yes, that's true. Our spiritual gifts are left behind and only our heart enters heaven. Unforgiveness, bitterness and strife will not be allowed into heaven and, ironically, unforgiveness, bitterness and strife reside in the heart.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:59:19 AM by me again »
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 06:32:15 PM »
... ironically, unforgiveness, bitterness and strife reside in the heart.

Really? that may be true of the unbeliever or those who profess godliness but deny the power to change hearts but I don't think those things are there in the true Christian. If you abide in Christ and He abides in you there will be no room for those things you listed. Your heart will be yearning for and praying for and doing good for those who have hurt and mistreated you. If you have the mind of Christ you won't have time to waste on such emotions.

I suppose there might be some who know they should be behaving in a such a way and do it out of duty instead out of the heart but that would be trying to earn your way to Heaven.

Years ago I remember seeing a bumper sticker that said something like this (I don't remember it exactly)... "I'm a Christian and the only difference between you and me is that I'm forgiven."

If that is true then as Christians then we are in a sad state. That means that Christ has left us exactly where He found us. Wallowing around in the filth of bitterness, resentment and full of sin. I do not agree with a lot of the theology of Jonathan Edwards but I do agree with what he said here...

"Sin is naturally exceeding dear to us; to part with it is compared to plucking out our right eyes. Men may refrain from wonted ways of sin for a little while, and may deny their lusts in a partial degree, with less difficulty; but it is heart-rending work, finally to part with all sin, and to give our dearest lusts a bill of divorce, utterly to send them away. But this we must do, if we would follow those that are truly turning to God: yea, we must not only forsake sin, but must, in a sense, forsake all the world, Luke xiv.33 'Whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.'"

If we are in our heart like the rest of the unbelieving world then are nothing but fake imitations.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter