380 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Leading a Bible Study  (Read 1577 times)

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
Leading a Bible Study
« on: October 26, 2014, 08:02:48 PM »
I may be selected to lead a weekly bible study, possibly starting in January 2015. I'll use the RSV because it has good cross references and footnotes.

In the past at other churches, I have attended bible studies where the pastors were lukewarm about discussing the scriptures. Whenever I and others would show up, the pastor would get a frown on his face because he wasn't excited about doing it. It actually looked like he didn't want to do it, but since people showed up, he could not back out of it.

If I lead a bible study, I will do it with tenacity and gusto for a couple of reasons:
1. Souls are at stake.
2. It will have an eternal impact on people that will follow us to heaven.
3. It is God's Word to us and for our benefit, so let's dig into it.

If it happens, it should be good. :)
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
Re: Leading a Bible Study
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 12:06:30 PM »
The RSV has good cross references.

Here is an example of how fascinating it can be to use cross-references. While reading about how Jesus raised the dead in Mark 5:41, the reference points to the reader to refer to Luke 7:14 and to Acts 9:40. Here are all three of those scriptures, cut-and-pasted:

Mark 5:41-42 -- "Taking [the deceased girl] by the hand, Jesus said to her, 'Little girl, I say to you, arise.' 42 And immediately the girl got up and walked."

Luke 17:14-15 -- "And Jesus came and touched the casket, and the bearers stood still. And he said, 'Young man, I say to you, arise.' And the dead man sat up, and began to speak."

Acts 9:40-41 -- "But Peter put them all outside and knelt down and prayed; then turning to the [dead] body Peter said, 'Tabitha, rise.' And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up. And Peter gave her his hand and lifted her up."

Here are interesting impromptu conclusions:
1. Jesus and Peter didn't pray "Lord, if it be your will..."
2. Jesus and Peter spoke to the deceased and commanded them to rise from the dead.

There are some other interesting correlations regarding touch i.e. the laying on of Jesus' hands and Peter's hands. It's also interesting to note that Peter didn't just walk on water, but he also raised Tabitha from the dead. Many people miss that (to include myself).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 03:20:06 PM by me again »
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Zaph

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:47:35 PM »
Here are interesting impromptu conclusions:
1. Jesus and Peter didn't pray "Lord, if it be your will..."
2. Jesus and Peter spoke to the deceased and commanded them to rise from the dead.

There are some other interesting correlations regarding touch i.e. the laying on of Jesus' hands and Peter's hands. It's also interesting to note that Peter didn't just walk on water, but he also raised Tabitha from the dead. Many people miss that (to include myself).

I know that the health & wealth gospel preachers say it's a lack of faith to pray "if it be your will..." However, they also assume that anything and everything they desire is the Lord's will. I call that presumption. I believe that in these cases that you mentioned Christ and Peter had such a close relationship with the Father that they knew without a doubt the Lord's will. I say this because praying "if it be your will..." is actually Biblical.

Jas 4:14  Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
Jas 4:15  For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 07:19:59 PM »
I know that the health & wealth gospel preachers say it's a lack of faith to pray "if it be your will..." However, they also assume that anything and everything they desire is the Lord's will. I call that presumption. I believe that in these cases that you mentioned Christ and Peter had such a close relationship with the Father that they knew without a doubt the Lord's will. I say this because praying "if it be your will..." is actually Biblical.

Jas 4:14  Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
Jas 4:15  For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.

Understood. The book of James also states that some people pray with the wrong motive i.e. they ask for things from the Lord so that they may spend it on their lusts (James 4:3). God will not honor that kind of a prayer.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter