268 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: How do we know when we have obtained our salvation ?  (Read 8520 times)

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
How do we know when we have obtained our salvation ?
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:38:18 PM »
Review John 3:16; 10:27-29; Romans 10:9-10 and Ephesians.1:13-14:

The parable of the Sower:

And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable. And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them. And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?

The sower soweth the word. And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts. And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness; And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended. And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, and the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful. And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred.

Mark 4:10-20

Hebrews 4  [New International Version (NIV)]

A Sabbath-Rest for the People of God

4 Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard it did not combine it with faith.[a] 3 Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

“So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’” And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world. 4 For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “On the seventh day God rested from all his works.”[c] 5 And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.”

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

Offline Stan

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Friend of Sinners
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://www.theologyreview.com
Re: How do we know when we have obtained our salvation ?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 02:30:44 PM »
This is such a relevant question.  I have met preachers who constantly assure their members of their salvation, yet they are afraid to die.
Courage

Stan

http://www.theologyreview.com

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippian

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 07:56:22 PM »
This is such a relevant question.  I have met preachers who constantly assure their members of their salvation, yet they are afraid to die.
It's a tough question and a tough issue. I know for a fact that I'm going to heaven -- but only because the Lord told me so. But how many other people has He told? And if someone knows that they are going to heaven -- then exactly how to they know? It's interesting to note that the Apostle Paul also knew that he was going to heaven. If not Paul, then why not others too?

Even though I know I'm going to heaven, I occasionally have doubts them present themselves i.e. when I look at myself and consider only myself (without Christ). Without Christ, no one goes to heaven because it is a kingdom and all those who enter MUST acknowledge Jesus as King of kings and Lord of lords. If someone rejects Jesus as Lord, then it is impossible for them to enter heaven i.e. at some point, they must accept the King (Jesus) in order to enter His kingdom.
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline me again

• Bought with a price...
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poke This Member
    • http://theologyreview.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 10:00:53 AM »
How do we know when we have obtained our salvation ?

Here is a quote from a theologian that I asked:

In the Council of Trent, the Council Fathers are very careful with their terminology. They do not say that anyone has certainly known that they were predestined to go to heaven (although most would probably agree with St. Thomas that St. Paul seems to indicate this kind of knowledge in his captivity epistles) but, instead, they say it is impossible to know unless God directly reveals it to you.

Predestination is the deep end of the pool, so go slow and maintain a healthy suspension of judgment until you’ve done quite a bit of reading, including St. Augustine (On the Predestination of the Saints, On the Gift of Perseverance, On Rebuke and Grace, On Grace and Free Will, and On Nature and Grace) and St. Thomas Aquinas (Summa Theologiae, Part I, Questions 22-23).
"So then, stand firm and hold to the traditions :o which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

Offline Quasar

• View Profile
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 09:00:05 AM »
Greetings me again,

Due to the source of some of the worst heresies the Church had imposed on it by the church fathers, I do not consider them a good source of advice.  Without question, God has the last word on our final destiny.  However, it is by faith we are saved, through is grace, according to Eph.2:8, as Jesus promised us in Jn.3:16 and in 10>27-29.  Confirmed in Rom.8:30 and Eph.2:6.

As such, I consider that to be sufficient Scriptural assurance, once we have been saved, we are saved for all eternity.

Quasar
"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except by me."  Jn.14:6.

ads

Recent

Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

me again

October 09, 2014, 02:15:06 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."
Forgiveness is available until we get to eternity and then our eternal fate is sealed. Right now, people are free to sin and repent; but there is no forgiveness of sin for the damned in hell.

Stan

October 05, 2014, 10:24:53 AM
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

Stan

May 03, 2014, 01:12:35 PM
Lots of visitors..  easy to join,  easy to post...  come make some friends..  Play nice with others.

The Crusader

February 26, 2014, 04:30:18 PM
Religious Lie: "God only paid for sins until the next time you sin."

The Crusader

December 23, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
JUST A THINK ABOUT IT: Will you embrace the full meaning of Christmas? Jesus didn't die just so you could go to heaven. He came to give you life - His life; an abundant life free from guilt, condemnation, and slavery to both sins and religion. He came to bring a grace revolution to the world and tha

Show 50 latest

Our Amazon Store

Unique visitors since Dec 1, 2012

Flag Counter